FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Corrosion?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Corrosion?

Never seen a panel this bad, ever. This seller has 4 of these all with what appears to be corrosion, unless a brown spray paint can blew up next to these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMC-DeLorean...4AAOSwc1FXYImM
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Not quite stainless by the looks of it. What a shame.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Yuck, this is what happens if you let iron and carbon steel deposits sit on your stainless. This type of thing happens (though to a much smaller degree) when people use steel wool on their panels, instead of something non-metallic like a scotch brite.

I remember that during my engine swap, the body of my car was sitting to the side in the garage while I was working on the frame. I did a lot of grinding and welding over a couple months at my work bench (nothing hot enough or close enough to damage the car). A lot of the grinding dust and cooled weld slag landed on the car, and created almost a dust layer. When put the body back on, I made the mistake of trying to hose off the car without actually scrubbing the dust layer off. It flash rusted almost immediately, and stained all of my panels overnight. Took a lot of scrubbing with magic erasers and sanding blocks to get the staining off. I imagine that eventually it could have ended up like this if I had left it untreated.

Whatever got deposited on this panel got neglected for many years. Thats a shame; a lot of that pitting looks pretty deep. The staining may go away, but the panel may never be smooth.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

My car wasn't quite as bad like this when I bought it 12 years ago when I found it abandoned in Malibu California and in early photos and in person the car appears to have brown freckles all over the stainless. I clean the car using Bar Keepers Friend and a Scotch-Brite pad and the smell was horrible but all the panels came back out looking brand new.

It's not the best photo I have but you can see if you look closely

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    My car wasn't quite as bad like this when I bought it 12 years ago when I found it abandoned in Malibu California and in early photos and in person the car appears to have brown freckles all over the stainless. I clean the car using Bar Keepers Friend and a Scotch-Brite pad and the smell was horrible but all the panels came back out looking brand new.

It's not the best photo I have but you can see if you look closely

as you can see now 12 years later all nice and shiny

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!