FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Converting to electric speedometer?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Converting to electric speedometer?

I happened upon this part while shopping for something else and thought I'd point it out to the community. I think this part may come in handy if you're planning to convert to an electric speedometer.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me..._Code=ac957812
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I happened upon this part while shopping for something else and thought I'd point it out to the community. I think this part may come in handy if you're planning to convert to an electric speedometer.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me..._Code=ac957812
    Damn, wish I would've seen this when you posted it!

I ended up using a Jetta pulse generator screwed (forced) on to the angle drive.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6313

Hey Farrar, why the Porsche 930 CV, is that a match for the Delorean CV joint?
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Hey Farrar, why the Porsche 930 CV, is that a match for the Delorean CV joint?
    Yes. 1975-89 Porsche 930 or 911 Turbo. I'll be installing four of them on #2613 next month, if all goes well.

(Off topic: where's the "fingers crossed" emoji?)

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yes. 1975-89 Porsche 930 or 911 Turbo. I'll be installing four of them on #2613 next month, if all goes well.

(Off topic: where's the "fingers crossed" emoji?)
    Please let us know how it goes. Considering how many angle drives I've gone through, I'd love to explore upgrade options.
    - Chris

what

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    Please let us know how it goes. Considering how many angle drives I've gone through, I'd love to explore upgrade options.
    Oops! I should have worded that more precisely. Let me clarify that I will be installing four of the Porsche 930 CV joints, not four of the 16PPR trigger rings. Sorry!

However, to save on shipping costs I might just buy that trigger ring at the same time. I'm sure once I get my car running again, the first thing to break will be the angle drive.

If I were to install the trigger ring, I would measure the thickness of it and use bolts that much longer to install the ring and CV joint, just to be safe.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I've been considering that ring for a while as a more precise measurement going to my cruise control. They also have rings on that website that you bolt up with the CV joint that has a built in grease fitting. That's something I've been considering pretty seriously. I like the idea of being able to grease the joint without having to pull the axle. If anyone ends up using the speedo ring, be sure to post about how it works!

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac501930gr.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    They also have rings on that website that you bolt up with the CV joint that has a built in grease fitting.
    I plan on installing those. If they work, I'll post pictures on my 3.0L swap thread.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I plan on installing those. If they work, I'll post pictures on my 3.0L swap thread.
    Sweet! Be aware that a lot of their custom parts (grease and speedo rings, joint caps, boot flanges, etc.) are all designed for 3/8 bolts instead of M10 bolts. If you buy any of it, be sure to also have an 11mm drill bit on hand to open up the holes. When I bought the boot flanges for the larger boots from them, I had to do this. It's not really an issue or anything, just something to be aware of. All of the CV joints that they sell though are made for M10 bolts so you should be fine; they should already have clearance holes ~11mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    be sure to also have an 11mm drill bit on hand to open up the holes.
    Thanks, Nicholas! I will make a note. The drill press will definitely see some use that day.

FYI, I was inspired by your build to use the flanges & boots available from Pacific Customs. They look like good quality products.