FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cleaning my CPR/WUR & changing the plug.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Cleaning my CPR/WUR & changing the plug.

Good Morning,

I have been doing a lot of research on my cold running issues and have determined that they symptoms point to issues with the Control Pressure Regulator (CPR). I have seen several threads related to cleaning the screen filter and these issues going away, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

In addition, the plug on my CPR was missing the metal clip so its connection was hardly ever making complete contact. I set out to fix this issue as well.
    IMG_1263.jpg
    In another thread, Dave Swingle was kind enough to point me in the right direction for the plug...
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave
    You can usually find an injector repair connector (i.e. the standard Bosch shell with about 6 inches of wire) in the "HELP" section of most auto parts stores. Worst case if the clip doesn't match, you can pop the electrodes out of the shell on your car and snap them into the replacement.
    My local AutoZone didn't have this, so I found it on Amazon instead:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a perfect match.
    IMG_1265.jpg

It comes with 2 leads attached that allow you to splice in to existing wires, but I wanted a cleaner install so i opted to remove them and just do a swap. I carefully removed the leads from the existing CPR connector, being careful to note polarity. The clips slid right in to the new connector perfectly!
    IMG_1266.jpgIMG_1267.jpgIMG_1268.jpg

My next step was to remove the CPR for cleaning. Even though my car had been sitting for a week or so, there was still plenty of fuel drippage when I cracked the larger bolt loose. I was ready with a shop towel, though.

I got a good look at the screen, and i must say that I have never seen mesh like this before.
    IMG_1269.jpg

Is it clogged or is it supposed to look like that? I took my pick and scraped at it a little, and nothing moved. I didn't go any further last night because I was unsure of what I was seeing. This is where I need your help, brothers and sisters.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    03572

That filter is made of small bronze shavings that are pressed to shape into a form. Not really a good way to clean it. If it would come out, you would replace it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6585

Those injector repair kits are a life saver. The severe bend on the wire connecting to the Frequency Valve broke and I had to use one of those kits on it.

Yup, the filter looks normal to me.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That filter is made of small bronze shavings that are pressed to shape into a form. Not really a good way to clean it. If it would come out, you would replace it.
    I will try and use some carb cleaner (would brake cleaner work better?) and blow it through with compressed air from the other side. Do you think that might work? I really don't want to take this thing apart to clean it, but I really don't want to drop $200 on a new one.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I will try and use some carb cleaner (would brake cleaner work better?) and blow it through with compressed air from the other side. Do you think that might work? I really don't want to take this thing apart to clean it, but I really don't want to drop $200 on a new one.
    That would probably be a good way to clean it. Maybe the only other way is an ultrasonic bath.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Hi Brandon,

I'm not an expert, but that screen looks clogged from the picture. Maybe different versions have different screens?

I cleaned mine when I did my engine last year, and like you, I carefully picked at the screen with a wooden toothpick to evaluate. Mine was partially clogged with beige particles that looked like grains of sand among the brass mesh. They were dried on as my CPR sat for a month or two while I had the engine torn down. I sprayed carb cleaner on q-tips and gently cleaned the screen and the other fitting. After the carb cleaner dissolved the brown gunk, the particles loosened and came off. Then as you suggested, I used compressed air on a low setting to finish the job. I was able to get the screen mostly clear. I also replaced the vacuum hoses.

Here are some pics....
    image.jpg

image.jpg

I would see if carb cleaner loosens anything in the screen, or if that's the way it's supposed to be.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)