FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 2 professionally restored grey binnacles

My VIN:    10480

2 professionally restored grey binnacles

I will have 2 professionally restored grey binnacles coming up for sale next week, $500 firm plus shipping for each one. If you want to know how I restore binnacles, look at my previous posts. If you want to see my results, keep watching this thread and I will post pics as they become available. This will be first come, first served, folks, and PAYPAL the only accepted method of payment! When they're gone, they're gone.

If there is anyone interested in a black binnacle, PM me fast - like, by tomorrow (July 30th) morning - as I will be finishing them this weekend.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Very Nice!

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Are they slightly spongey like the factory originals?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

interior consistency.....

The binnacles are virtually as spongey as the original where there was no splitting and cracking. In the repaired areas, I had to replace material, so the surface is hard. On the sides, where the mating to the contiguous dash components takes place, the material is still spongey and has some give.

Just to clarify......

These are probably the last binnacles I will be restoring for a while. I worked out the details of how to do it in 2014, but received no interest besides one "restoration" last month of a fiberglass repro that had sticky black gelcoat on it. That prompted me to take the time to restore the two cores I am selling now, in order to get them out of my shop and into vehicles.

As it stands today, I probably won't be available to do any more restoration work until October 2017, but will let you folks know if/when that changes. Thanks for your interest, Jonathan

Price drop to $450 plus shipping

Hi Folks,

I am dropping the binnacles prices to help move them out......now $450 ea. plus the cost of shipping. Thanks for your interest.

how binnacles are restored....

I just realized my prior posts in 2014 describing how I restore the binnacles are no longer available. Apologies for that oversight.

The restoration process involves cutting out the bad material, filling and fairing the surface back to original, then applying 2 plies of fiberglass cloth in epoxy over the entire surface to stabilize it. I manufacture a new bezel (black part that butts up to instrument cluster lens) out of epoxy/glass, and that gets bonded in place with epoxy. The whole assembly is then "post cured" at high temperature to ensure that the new materials don't deform when exposed to the elevated dash temps DeLoreans experience. The binnacle is then hand sanded to the final surface, textured, and painted using SEM products.

Both binnacles have sold

Thanks for watching, folks.

My VIN:    5186

Just bought one of these and it looks great! It was packed well for shipment and arrived in 3 days. Can't wait to install it.
    Jim