FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternator identification?

My VIN:    3937

Alternator identification?

The weather here's gotten a little humid and gross, so instead of driving the car recently, I thought I'd take it apart instead.

I mostly just wanted to replace my alternator belt and install the new SS alternator tensioner bracket I got from Matt (DriveStainless). That part is simple enough, yet when I got looking closer at the alternator, I could see some of the electrical connections didn't look great (corrosion on fittings or the tape wrapping was coming off on the wire jumbles). So I took it out of the car to make life easier for clean-up.

I had honestly thought I had the Ducellier the whole time on my car, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't have a single marking or stamping on it that I could find to help me identify what make, model, or amperage it is. I read through the ST-11-26 service bulletin and the two wire connector change to the single wire set-up seems to be what I already have done. You can see the connector in the photos, which I disconnected at the loose/wirenut end as well as the quick connect end right on the alternator. I got the car in 2007 and this alternator has been in there the whole time. My VIN is 3937, so it would have left Dunmurry with the Ducellier as far as I know.

Anyone tell me which alternator this is?

IMG_2272.jpgIMG_2273.jpgIMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It is a "SpecitalT"/Hervey alternator.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dn010; 07-30-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    16409

Hervey usually stamps his with a D-120 or D-140 marking. If there are no markings, it could be an early DMC-H unit.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Thanks for the leads. I don't see any markings on it, but I'll look again. And go through Hervey's website too.

With mention of it possibly being an older Houston model, are there any alternators that we can conclusively say mine is NOT? Like, it isn't the Ducellier and it isn't this new Motorola 120 Amp one you can currently buy from Houston? What did the old 90 Amp Motorola one look like, or is that the one you meant?

The fins on the one I have resemble the Motorola more than the Ducellier style. I'll take some better pictures of mine and see if I can spot any markings on it somewhere.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

The wire splice on the connector that's shown in one of your pictures reminds me of what I had to do to mount my first replacement Motorola, (DMCH 140), on my car.
    After a year +, That one Melted internally so, I replaced it with the current Motorola 120 that DMCH now stocks.
    I don't keep up with what Hervey's stock so I can't comment on that.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

I'll grab a photo once I get it cleaned enough for the markings to show up... but looking closer, under a layer of filth, I realized there is a lightly engraved "D140" on it. So, the guess of it being a Hervey alternator appears correct (thanks!).

Not sure if they have changed much over the years, but here is a current webstore photo from John:

alternator-D140.jpg

I have no way of determining a 120 amp from a 140 amp. I have had both and had no difference in gauge response.

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    16409

To be honest, I don't think any of the current alternators the vendors sell are actually made by Motorola. They just place it in the Motorola parts page for convenience. The original Motorola alternator did not use the GM style plug as far as I know.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

They fit with a bracket and they work, that's about all you can say about them.

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The Hervey units have an undersized pulley so that the alternator spins faster at idle. They have also been known to throw belts on occasion due to undersized pulley. I'm using a DMCMW CS130 (identical exterior appearance to hervey units) but the internal component mix is different. these are built to start charging at a lower RPM threshold and the pulley is more normal sized.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast