FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Repair shops in the midwest, specifically along I-80?

My VIN:    10907

Repair shops in the midwest, specifically along I-80?

So I'm going to pick up my car in Indiana in a few weeks, and driving it back to SLC. The seller is an experienced restorer who's dealt with pretty much any potential trouble area you can think of so I'm not expecting any mechanical issues, but I still want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst and not scrambling to find a shop by the side of the freeway at 11:00 at night.

Anybody have shop recommendations in Iowa/Nebraska/Colorado/Wyoming? I know there's DMC Midwest up by Chicago but once I get out of AAA Premium towing range of there I'd prefer to keep heading west.

My VIN:    1710

There's Bauerle Automotive in Ohio; there's also Lawrence's DeLorean Repair in Kentucky. I'm not sure where you are picking your car up from, but between those two and DMC Midwest, you've got some options.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    There's Bauerle Automotive in Ohio; there's also Lawrence's DeLorean Repair in Kentucky. I'm not sure where you are picking your car up from, but between those two and DMC Midwest, you've got some options.
    If you have any doubts you should just make arrangements to either have the car shipped or pick it up and trailer it home. If you get stuck it will make the shipping or trailer options look cheap by comparison. Not only will you have towing costs, it will be at the highest rate. You will have lodging and food, the cost of the actual repair and you will probably have to sit around waiting for parts to come. So it will cost a lot in time and money if anything happens. Then there is the logistics problems of getting it Titled, plated and insured so it is legal to drive. Better than having shops to call you should also have a list of local owners and clubs. They may be able to offer more assistance. Some owners have some spare parts which could be handy. They may also know how to get you going again.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I'm getting it near Indianapolis and going straight west so that would be a little out of my way, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you have any doubts you should just make arrangements to either have the car shipped or pick it up and trailer it home. If you get stuck it will make the shipping or trailer options look cheap by comparison. Not only will you have towing costs, it will be at the highest rate. You will have lodging and food, the cost of the actual repair and you will probably have to sit around waiting for parts to come. So it will cost a lot in time and money if anything happens. Then there is the logistics problems of getting it Titled, plated and insured so it is legal to drive. Better than having shops to call you should also have a list of local owners and clubs. They may be able to offer more assistance. Some owners have some spare parts which could be handy. They may also know how to get you going again.
    I'm not super worried b/c the car's probably in better shape than the one I drive now ('87 CRX with 274k on the original engine which I've broken down with either) but there's a lot more empty space between Indy and SLC than there is between SLC and San Diego and I've seen a whole lotta newer cars than this broken down by the side of the road. Plus getting it delivered just isn't as exciting as driving it myself. Then again, if I had it delivered maybe I could get it a couple weeks sooner.

I emailed one of the guys from Mid-State but haven't heard back yet. Other than that there don't seem to be many other clubs in the plains states, except one in Iowa that doesn't have much online presence that I can find. Are there any in NE/WY/CO? Maybe I want to take I-70 instead and go closer to Denver. I've got the 200-mile towing from AAA, so that's something, at least. And a lot of Southwest skymiles.

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post

I'm not super worried b/c the car's probably in better shape than the one I drive now ('87 CRX with 274k on the original engine which I've broken down with either) s.
    Whoops, I accidentally a word. I meant I've never broken down in my current car.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Whoops, I accidentally a word. I meant I've never broken down in my current car.
    If you have made up your mind to drive the car one thing you can do is to drive the car locally for a day or so just to make sure everything seems OK before you start out on a cross/country trip. Keep an eye on all of the fluid levels, the gauges, and check your tire pressures. AAA is good insurance but don't count on your cell phone, there are a lot of dead areas where you won't get signal. That goes for the radio too. Check the wiper blades, you may need them and if they are old and flattened out you won't be able to see. Make sure all of your lights work too. Carry some extra fuses and a flashlight. Keep track of your gas mileage. Don't try "pushing" it hard till you know it is OK and you are comfortable with it. Learn how to drive with it's large blind spots, a convex mirror on the left outside rear view mirror is helpful. Watch the temp gauge and if it goes over 220 pull over before you pop the head gaskets. Take a battery pack with you too. If you see the voltage meter at 12 volts when the motor is running you need to find a place to stop before the car stops. If the A/C doesn't work take a LOT of water along, you will need it. And maybe a rabbit's foot. Get the RPM/MPH chart and leave it in the binnacle in case the speedo stops working.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It would be a bit out of the way (50 miles north of I-80) but probably worth the effort to stop at DMCMidwest for a quick health check.

This isn't a CRX.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

if you find yourself in need of assistance near Omaha, drop me a line. i have a (modest) garage and some tools.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

An excellent idea would be, since you now have a VIN number for a car you've purchased (even if not yet picked up), to join the DeLorean Owners Directory, and then download and/or print out a copy of the most current edition of the directory (updated earlier this month.) The directory includes a listing of all those owners in the directory who are open & willing to offer assistance to others when traveling. For privacy & anti-spam reasons, you can only download the directory if you are already a member of it, so join up first and once your own membership request has been processed, you'll be able to access the download through a password. Here's where to get started: http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/dod.asp

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you have made up your mind to drive the car one thing you can do is to drive the car locally for a day or so just to make sure everything seems OK before you start out on a cross/country trip. Keep an eye on all of the fluid levels, the gauges, and check your tire pressures. AAA is good insurance but don't count on your cell phone, there are a lot of dead areas where you won't get signal. That goes for the radio too. Check the wiper blades, you may need them and if they are old and flattened out you won't be able to see. Make sure all of your lights work too. Carry some extra fuses and a flashlight. Keep track of your gas mileage. Don't try "pushing" it hard till you know it is OK and you are comfortable with it. Learn how to drive with it's large blind spots, a convex mirror on the left outside rear view mirror is helpful. Watch the temp gauge and if it goes over 220 pull over before you pop the head gaskets. Take a battery pack with you too. If you see the voltage meter at 12 volts when the motor is running you need to find a place to stop before the car stops. If the A/C doesn't work take a LOT of water along, you will need it. And maybe a rabbit's foot. Get the RPM/MPH chart and leave it in the binnacle in case the speedo stops working.
    Thanks for the advice! If I drive I won't even be picking it up until around 8pm so I'm not going to get too far the first night. AFAIK all systems are functioning normally but if there's anything that looks like it'll be a problem hopefully it'll present before I'm out of towing range of DMCMW. I'd been planning to stop by a Wal-Mart or auto parts store for some water, antifreeze, oil, emergency kit, etc. so I'll put a few extra things on my shopping list. Are the fuses available at any auto parts store? Maybe I could get them here and bring them with me.

I've got a bid request out with U-Ship so if it's going to be faster & within a few hundred of the same price to do it that way maybe I'll just have it trucked out but NGL, I really want to drive it myself I booked the last flight out of Chicago, Omaha and Denver on Thurs. and I'm picking it up Mon. so if I do get waylaid I've got options.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It would be a bit out of the way (50 miles north of I-80) but probably worth the effort to stop at DMCMidwest for a quick health check.
    Would that be something I could do as a walk-in or would I need an appointment? I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    if you find yourself in need of assistance near Omaha, drop me a line. i have a (modest) garage and some tools.
    Excellent! Can you PM me your number? That stretch of the plains states was what I was most worried about, since I didn't see any clubs listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by whocruiser View Post
    An excellent idea would be, since you now have a VIN number for a car you've purchased (even if not yet picked up), to join the DeLorean Owners Directory, and then download and/or print out a copy of the most current edition of the directory (updated earlier this month.) The directory includes a listing of all those owners in the directory who are open & willing to offer assistance to others when traveling. For privacy & anti-spam reasons, you can only download the directory if you are already a member of it, so join up first and once your own membership request has been processed, you'll be able to access the download through a password. Here's where to get started: http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages/dod.asp
    Cool! I'll go sign up right now!

Thanks, everybody!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast