FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front turn signal screw mounts

My VIN:    2543

Front turn signal screw mounts

I put my fascia back on after a repaint but the part that the turn signal's screw into have rusted away and fell off. I know hardware stores sell speed nuts but that size is odd in there, see the first pic. The part of the fascia the speed nut has to pinch onto is too thick, plus the screw hole is inset away from it's edge deeper then most speed nuts. Anybody have a solution for this area? I was thinking of going a size bigger on a screw but then it won't go through the turn signal lens.
    In my second pic you can see what used to be there, some kind of insert. I can't find it on the parts diagram.

IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0347.jpg
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm in the same boat..but oddly...one side had those odd raised mounts and the other has ones that are flush to the plastic. I'll be talking to Toby at dmcnw about solutions pretty soon...I'll post what I find out...unless someone else already has a solution.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    6585

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that is a Spire Nut. Call your favorite vendor to make sure, and to get the specific part you need. I'd say to compare it to the two already used behind the fascia, but you've already attached it.

Although if you ever pull it off again, it would be a wise decision so that you could peel off the rest of that old black coating so that you could respray your Impact Absorber. Otherwise the sponge action will drip water from your bumper for days after rainstorms or car washes.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I drilled the hole to accept an aluminum 4mm rivnut..

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I drilled the hole to accept an aluminum 4mm rivnut..

image.jpg
    The threaded insert is a part of the moulded fascia and was therefore never provided as a factory replacement part. To complicate things, many of the cars were factory assembled with a sheet metal screw into the 4mm tapped holes there, destroying the fine 4mm threads and being subject to rust.

The 4MM rivnut solution is the best if there is enough of the original hole left.

Otherwise you are probably stuck with a clip-on type stamped nut and a sheet metal screw.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2543

Thanks fellas, I'll swing by Lowe's and check out the rivnut option. Second question regarding the lens. Thicker side of it goes inboard, right?

Lastly, anybody selling a turn signal socket? A tab broke off one of the sides so it wants to fall out of the lens.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DMC has light sockets....not too much, as I recall. I had to replace a couple of side marker sockets cause they were so corroded the lights wouldnt come out.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

We machined brass inserts that pushed in from the back and sit flush at the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    DMC has light sockets....not too much, as I recall. I had to replace a couple of side marker sockets cause they were so corroded the lights wouldnt come out.
    I believe DMC sells the side marker socket separately, but not the front. They come as an assembly with the lens. My sockets were rusted because previously, they were not tight in the lens, letting water in. I tried to clean them up, but the residual rust still caused an intermittent connection, so I bought new assemblies. (That's how I found out. ) Money well spent.

I can't recall the correct orientation, but if you get it wrong, you can tell as the lens looks crooked, and the screws won't reach the rivnut.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-05-2016 at 06:52 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenb84 View Post
    Lastly, anybody selling a turn signal socket? A tab broke off one of the sides so it wants to fall out of the lens.
    I just gave Mike at DMCMW my two old parking lights with sockets. I'm sure he would sell one to you.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast