FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A cosmetically and mechanically flawless 1981 Delorean. Serious USA buyer with cash.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Talking A cosmetically and mechanically flawless 1981 Delorean. Serious USA buyer with cash.

Hi everyone.

Like many of you, owning a Delorean has been one of my life-long dreams since I was a child in the 80s. It's taken me many years of saving, but I'm finally in a position to buy the Delorean of my dreams.

I’m a total perfectionist and I appreciate that it’s going to be hard to find a near-perfect Delorean in 2016, but I know there will be one out there.

My dream car has the following specifications.

— Cosmetically near-flawless. No dings, dents, scratches etc. The exterior and interior should be close to perfection.
    — Mechanically near-flawless. No rust. The car should be completely refurbished and mechanically sound end-to-end.

— 1981 original stock configuration
    — 1981 hood with grooves. - I don't like the hood with the gas flap or completely flat plain hood.
    — Gray interior.
    — Automatic or manual - I’m flexible here.

I'm looking to keep it in flawless condition and use it as an infrequent weekend driver.

I’ve been chatting to a few Delorean dealerships and have found a few cars that are very close to my specifications. I'm close to a purchase but I know that there are a lot of enthusiasts out there so I wanted to post here to say hello and put myself out there. If you own a perfect Delorean (with the above specs) or know of someone who potentially has the car of my dreams - and would like to sell, then please let me know.

I’m in the unique position that I have a substantial budget to play with - and that budget is available in cash in my bank account today.

I'm based in San Francisco and am willing to fly out to view the car at any location across the US.

If you're a serious seller then please drop me a message and I can share my phone number.

Thanks,
    Colin
    Last edited by Col Bennett; 08-02-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Contact Soundkillr here on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Contact Soundkillr here on the forum.
    I will do. Thanks Ron.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Colin,
    I only know one person that can build what you want. That would be Josh Bengston. You are asking for a perfect stock DeLorean in the VIN range of 3201-7199. You should apply to secure your spot in line for a DPI car. These cars are not advertised anywhere and are built to your specific requests down to the smallest detail. Anything less is compromising and you want the best. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Colin,
    I only know one person that can build what you want. That would be Josh Bengston. You are asking for a perfect stock DeLorean in the VIN range of 3201-7199. You should apply to secure your spot in line for a DPI car. These cars are not advertised anywhere and are built to your specific requests down to the smallest detail. Anything less is compromising and you want the best. Good luck.
    Thanks Iznodmad. I had a look on the DPI website a while ago but it seems to be missing a lot of content and I've hit so many dead ends on the website that I didn't think they were an active company. If they are indeed active, reliable and highly recommended then I may give them a call. I think my preference is to buy a car from a DMC franchise or a private owner that can take me through the history of their car - showcasing the care, love and attention that has gone into its preservation and restoration over the years.

Thanks SO much for the replies so far.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

If you don't mind the fact that the car also has a turbocharger (oh darn), I think you just perfectly described this car:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...d-hood-5-speed

I'm not aware of any nicer cars available, especially not that match your description.

EDIT: Actually this one is pretty close too: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...mplete-rebuild
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-03-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    If you don't mind the fact that the car also has a turbocharger (oh darn), I think you just perfectly described this car:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...d-hood-5-speed

I'm not aware of any nicer cars available, especially not that match your description.

EDIT: Actually this one is pretty close too: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...mplete-rebuild
    Thanks Nicholas. I'm really interested in Soundkillr's Delorean. It looks fantastic from his old profile/photo album pictures. I sent him a message via the forum yesterday so hopefully he'll reply today or over the next few days. I noticed that thread is now closed so hopefully he gets notifications with forum messages.

EDIT: I just noticed he included his email address in the listing. I've also sent him an email.

The second car you posted looks really nice but I'm not a fan of the non-stock steering wheel or two-tone seats. I could probably get them replaced so I may look a little closer at that one today. Cheers!
    Last edited by Col Bennett; 08-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    Thanks Iznodmad. I had a look on the DPI website a while ago but it seems to be missing a lot of content and I've hit so many dead ends on the website that I didn't think they were an active company. If they are indeed active, reliable and highly recommended then I may give them a call. I think my preference is to buy a car from a DMC franchise or a private owner that can take me through the history of their car - showcasing the care, love and attention that has gone into its preservation and restoration over the years.

Thanks SO much for the replies so far.
    Just keep in mind that it'll take about 2 years to get your car if you go that route. You'll have the best in the world, though. That's not a knock against DPI, either- it's just a reality in this community. Even if you buy a very nice car and send it off to a vendor to be freshened up, it'll be gone at least a year, if not two.

Regarding DeLorean vendors websites being incomplete- they're all that way. Each vendor has far more specialty parts and even cars for sale than they advertise online. Most of the vendors are pretty small operations. They have to chose between getting customer cars restored, sold, and reproducing/sourcing extinct/inferior parts; or keeping their websites up to date. These folks work very long hours, some never taking weekends. Keep in mind placing a phone call will get often their attention better than an email, too. It may take a few tries to get someone on the phone, but don't let that discourage you.

If it were me, I'd call every vendor and see what they currently have for sale, or if they have knowledge of any potential cars which are not advertised, but might be for sale for the right price. Don't just limit yourself to the DeLorean Motor Company franchises either, though they are a fine place to start. Don't forget PJ Grady- they were an original DeLorean dealer, and have been refurbishing the cars continuously ever since. It's those kind of community ties that might help you track down the right car.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Just keep in mind that it'll take about 2 years to get your car if you go that route. You'll have the best in the world, though. That's not a knock against DPI, either- it's just a reality in this community. Even if you buy a very nice car and send it off to a vendor to be freshened up, it'll be gone at least a year, if not two.

Regarding DeLorean vendors websites being incomplete- they're all that way. Each vendor has far more specialty parts and even cars for sale than they advertise online. Most of the vendors are pretty small operations. They have to chose between getting customer cars restored, sold, and reproducing/sourcing extinct/inferior parts; or keeping their websites up to date. These folks work very long hours, some never taking weekends. Keep in mind placing a phone call will get often their attention better than an email, too. It may take a few tries to get someone on the phone, but don't let that discourage you.

If it were me, I'd call every vendor and see what they currently have for sale, or if they have knowledge of any potential cars which are not advertised, but might be for sale for the right price. Don't just limit yourself to the DeLorean Motor Company franchises either, though they are a fine place to start. Don't forget PJ Grady- they were an original DeLorean dealer, and have been refurbishing the cars continuously ever since. It's those kind of community ties that might help you track down the right car.
    Thanks Louie. I really appreciate the message. I don't really mind how long it takes. It's taken me long enough to save for it so another few years won't matter if it helps get the car of my dreams. That's good vendor advice too. I've called around most garages but I still have a few to check off my list.

Again, if any of you know of any private individuals that own a near-perfect Delorean (to my specs above) then please let me know.

Thanks!

My VIN:    3937

When the day arrives that your ideal car is comfortably in your garage, what are your expectations regarding ownership from that point forward?

I can relate to the perfectionism and pursuit of a flawless car. No one would dispute how impressive it is seeing one of that condition.

The part I wanted to ask of you though is how you might consider keeping it flawless after you get it? Cosmetic perfection can be kept so long as you don't get unlucky with someone else's carelessness, or you repair your own mistakes, whether it's a tear in a seat or spilled drink somewhere. The mechanical stuff can stay flawless in terms of parts no longer missing from your car, but even the best condition cars need regular maintenance to keep them the best. You need look no further than Darren's car(s). Driven daily, show winning condition, but only with considerable effort put in to get them that way and keep them that way.

Have you thought of where you would take your car for service, either the regular oil change type stuff or fixing things that will break over time? Would you do this work yourself? Could you do this work yourself, either currently or sometime in the future with some learning along the way?

I don't ask to judge. Certainly not in terms of he who does his own work versus he who gets someone else to do it. I bring it up only because it is work that your car will certainly need, regardless of who the who is.

If there has been one dream ending theme most prevalent among guys who got their car and then got rid of their car, it would be not understanding this part of ownership. If you expect it, no problem. If you aren't expecting it, it can be the beginning of the end for enthusiasm. Give it some thought if you haven't already. It's important you know what lies ahead.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast