Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
Thanks, Josh, for that information!

Since #2613's temperature gauge has also failed, I will eventually have to pull the cluster out and repair/replace some stuff there. That might be a good time to investigate electronic speedo options. Much as I would like adore a fully-backlit install using a Dakota Digital kit like another user here on DMCTalk has done, I won't be able to - partly because the cost would be $1,000+ and partly because that user seems to have disappeared before fulfilling his promise to share his graphics template.

In the short term, a replacement angle drive from the UK is $60. In the long term, retrofitting the guts of an electronic gauge seems like a good way to go. If/when that happens, it may be lucky for me that #2613's previous owner outfitted the cluster with a 140 MPH gauge: I believe most speedometers these days are 120 MPH or greater, so finding an electronic gauge compatible with the layout of the installed gauge face is more likely as opposed to the original 85 MPH one.

And then I suppose the difficult part would then be figuring out what to do about the mechanical odometers: I like the look of them but if they can't be adapted they'll have to be replaced...

I have a lot of studying to do.
With regard to the temp gauge failure, did you verify that the actual gauge is the culprit? A bad connection at the bulkhead plug or at the dash ribbon cable could easily provide a no-temp signal condition on the gauge.

On the issue of angle drives, Rob Grady makes a great angle drive. Make sure your lower cable turns freely and isn't gunked / rusted up. Based upon the amount of time your car has been sitting, lower cable rust can be an issue. I recently disassembled 4194's lower cable and gave it a good cleaning.

While I would certainly agree that the DeLorean's speedometer system is far from perfect, there is nothing inherently wrong with a mechanical speedometer system. They worked just fine from the early days of speed limits all the way until the late 80's / early 90's. I suspect that the changeover from mechanical to VSS systems was more the result of advances in ECM / TCM technology and the need to electronically monitor vehicle speed than any problem with mechanical speedometers. Interestingly, my 1985 Toronado's digital dash gets its speed signal via a mechanical cable and an optical pickup. :-)