FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 57 of 72 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

My "winter project" will be radiator, shroud, fans, duct, and ... a whole set of new plug wires. (Two boots have failed so the others can't be far behind. Might as well just replace them all.)

Note to anyone considering doing a similar 3.0L swap: to have the appropriate boots for one set of wires, you will need to buy two sets of wires --
    (1) for the distributor end, a set from an appropriate-vintage 6-cylinder AMC/Jeep, and
    (2) for the spark plug end, a set from a 3.0L Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco.
    Once the boots are removed, you can make your new wires from whatever source you want - my preference for cable and terminals is MSD.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    My "winter project" will be radiator, shroud, fans, duct, and ... a whole set of new plug wires. (Two boots have failed so the others can't be far behind. Might as well just replace them all.)

Note to anyone considering doing a similar 3.0L swap: to have the appropriate boots for one set of wires, you will need to buy two sets of wires --
    (1) for the distributor end, a set from an appropriate-vintage 6-cylinder AMC/Jeep, and
    (2) for the spark plug end, a set from a 3.0L Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco.
    Once the boots are removed, you can make your new wires from whatever source you want - my preference for cable and terminals is MSD.
    Let us know if you have any questions/trouble with the radiator/fan project. The Workshop Manual should cover everything, but sometimes things come up since 30+ years has passed since the car was built.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Having done radiators twice on DMCs, my suggestions follow:

1. Have a helper for bringing the old radiator down and out, as well as the new one back up.
    2. Expect, and prepare for, many of the little screws to be either just spin or be seized. Have a dremel handy.
    3. If you take off the wheels and go from the side, the radiator support brackets are much easier to deal with.
    4. Drop the way bar, and take off the fan assembly for more room
    5. If you don't mind draining the A/C gas, removing the condenser and radiator together is easier than separate.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Mike, those are all very good tips. Thanks. I was wondering if it might be easier to drop the condenser at the same time.

I haven't had much time for the car over the holidays, but I did manage to swap out that bad spark plug boot. Tomorrow, if I have time, I will get to see if that solved the misfire problem.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quite a bit easier if you drop the condenser at the same time, yes.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

If it's not one thing, it's another. With the spark plug boot replaced and the battery voltage at 12.7, I decided to fire up the engine and tune the idle mixture: I set the screws out 1.75 turns as a cursory "enough to get started" position, then cranked.

And cranked.

And cranked.

I know it takes a few seconds to fill the fuel bowl when it's dry, but this was an inordinate amount of cranking. After several attempts, the starter stopped turning and when I turned the key I heard a metal "clank." I figured the starter had overheated, so I waited a few minutes to try again.

By now I figured the engine was flooded, so I propped the choke plate open with a 3/8" drill bit and cranked again. Every time it sounded like it was about to catch, I heard a "pop" sound. I looked behind me and saw a tiny waft of what looked like smoke coming from the carburetor. If I keep cranking, the cycle simply repeats: it sounds like it's going to catch, the "pop" sound can be heard, and then I have to keep cranking before it sounds like it's about to catch again.

Happy new year...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

You have it set too lean. Too much air, not enough fuel. Try turning the screws in a quarter or half turn.
    -----Dan B.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    You have it set too lean. Too much air, not enough fuel. Try turning the screws in a quarter or half turn.
    Turning the screws IN would lean it out further, no?
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    My apologies, yes, inwards would lean the idle mixture on that carburetor.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    My apologies, yes, inwards would lean the idle mixture on that carburetor.
    It's OK. I knew what you meant.

Two turns out, no start. Two and a half turns out, no start. So much cranking today that I've probably depleted the battery (too lazy to actually put a meter on it, though), so I put the trickle charger on it and will wait until tomorrow to try again.

Good thing I haven't spent $600+ on a new radiator, fans, and fan shroud yet. I don't think I'd be very happy sinking that much money into the cooling system of an engine that won't start. LOL

Page 57 of 72 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast