FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 44 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Side note: It's kind of ridiculously awesome that even if I am driving a DeLorean that sounds like a helicopter, is inches from overheating, has splitting, cracking paint on all of the painted pieces, and is missing part of the headliner with wires hanging down in the back, people still look at it and go, "Whoa, a DeLorean!" and take a photo.

It may be a piece of crap, but it's a really cool piece of crap.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

280! That is one bulletproof engine.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    280! That is one bulletproof engine.
    Or maybe it isn't. I just hope I don't have head gasket problems because of all of this crap. Fingers crossed...

new carb adjustment tool

Well, at least adjusting those hard-to-reach idle air screws shouldn't be as much of a problem now.

carb tool.jpg

I idled the engine for about 45 minutes today.

Adjusted the idle mixture to reach maximum vacuum at 800 RPM idle speed. (Chrysler manual says 790 RPM. I rounded up.) Vacuum reading was shaky - needle was vibrating - but read about 17.5 inches at maximum. Still running lumpy.

On the plus side, the cooling system seems to be getting healthier. The cooling fans came on at about 205°F, and although the temperature never got back down far enough for the fans to turn back off (as they did with the previous engine), the temperature never got above 220°F. I will keep draining and flushing.

In other news, the eBay A/C compressor is already failing. Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain.

Drained some more fluid from the cooling system. Lo and behold, it's a lot dirtier than the last time I drained it. This, combined with the fact that the temperature is more under control, makes me think that I might have had a clog in the system, which the liquid Cascade circulating throughout has started to break up.

The technique seems to be working. I need some more liquid Cascade, and I am busy the next several days, but I hope to get back to this later next week. There is hope!

Forgot to mention that I got tired of the radiator fans working only occasionally (the wires had sat on the exhaust manifold and got damaged) so I spliced new wire: from a few inches from the bulkhead connector, all the way down to the Otter switch. For good measure, I also cleaned all of the bulkhead terminals with white vinegar and a toothbrush. Some of them were corrosion-welded together. I had to pry the connectors off, cracking the plastic in the process (of course!). Since these connectors are NLA, I'm stuck with cracked connectors. Oh, well. Anyway, there's great continuity now on the radiator fan switch. The fans turn on at about 200 degrees just like they should. And my new favorite way to wrap harnesses is with expandable braided sleeving, secured at both ends with adhesive-lined heat-shrink tubing.

Now if I could only find a proper tool for extracting those blasted 3mm crimp pin and socket terminals. I'd really like to replace them, but I can't get them out of the connector housings!

It's time for me to wrap up this thread.

Every time I try to figure out why the engine suddenly started running like crap with no power, I end up making things worse. Today I tried a compression test and the tool got stuck and then broke off inside the plug well. I think I'm just going to give up on this car for a while. I've got too many other problems in my life to deal with right now.

Anyone still reading: Thanks for your time.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That sucks...but sometimes its good to take a step back and regroup...the car will still be there after you get the other stuff going on sorted.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    the car will still be there
    Yep, and it will have found new ways of falling apart in the meantime. Not much I can do about it, though.

I'll put it on jack stands to avoid getting flat spots in my brand new tires. Money well spent...

Page 44 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast