FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    An electrical load puts more load on the alternator which is why the carbed idle speed will change. If the alternator were a perfect machine then 770 watts of load would require one horsepower of work. At idle an engine may only be producing 5 to 10 HP so a small load change will produce an RPM change.
    Thanks, Dave! That also makes sense why the speed will change more when the engine is turning very slowly but not at all noticeable when the engine is turning fast.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

When you are 100% sure everything else is up to snuff, you can sacrifice highest vacuum to correct smoothness (up to 1/4 turn ea on the air screws...they mean nothing when it is off idle). Remember to rev it once to clear it out and let it settle after each adjustment.
    And +/- 2° is allowed on timing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    And +/- 2° is allowed on timing...
    Josh Schattenkirk told me that he had his engine timed at 14 degrees at 750 RPM idle speed. (His car must have been a manual.)

I currently have timing 14 degrees at 900 RPM. This is less than how Bill had it set. Bill had 16 degrees at 900 RPM, because he was concerned about a low vacuum reading. When adjusting the idle mixture yesterday, the maximum vacuum I could get at idle was 16 inches. Bill's theory is that the lower vacuum reading is due to running the 2.8L camshafts in the 3.0L engine, since the valve timing is very slightly different. I'm not worried so much about low vacuum. But I am concerned with advancing timing too much.
    Last edited by Farrar; 11-28-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: lack of caffeine makes me typo

Well, this is embarrassing.

Bill pointed out to me that the vacuum port I had my gauge on drew only from the passenger side of the intake manifold. Even though the ports for the HVAC/Brake Booster (1) and transmission vacuum modulator (2) are on the adapter plate, the adapter plate has two passages, not one, because it sits atop a dual-plane manifold.

With no spare vacuum ports to spare, I am going to have to run to the hardware store, find an appropriate T-fitting, and take a reading from the PCV vacuum hose... and then start all over again. LOL

Oops.

Tuned again with the vacuum gauge connected to PCV hose (common to both sides of the intake). Accomplished nothing. Engine still bumps along. I give up. I'll just have to drive it as is.

In other news, the dashpot/solenoid assembly that arrived in the mail looks like it's wrong for this carburetor, or else I can't figure out how to fit it. So, again, I'll just have to drive it as is.

I went to fill up the tank and brought the dashcam along. This three-minute excerpt (I haven't figured out how to string the short videos together yet) demonstrated what is happening now: the engine now has the same symptoms at *ALL* speeds. When it's down at idle, the car has tremors, and when it's up at 3,000 RPM it sounds like someone rolling their tongue, Italian-style.

But it does run.

I think I hear Sophia Loren locked in the trunk and calling for rrrrrrrrigatoni?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I think I hear Sophia Loren locked in the trunk and calling for rrrrrrrrigatoni?
    You'rrrrrrrre rrrrrrrrrrrright! LOL

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Sorry to go off topic here but were you ever able to install the Borgeson steering components?
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic here but were you ever able to install the Borgeson steering components?
    Bill installed them. I guess he had some free time that day.

Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast