FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 25 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

My gauge wigged out on me a few years ago after sitting over the winter off season. The needle went CCW to the 3 o'clock position. I ended up removing the Cluster and Cleaned All the Trace contacts with Tarn-x this included undoing all the nuts for the Gauge contacts. I put it all back together and the gauge with a few other lights, returned to normal.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

I know how you feel when the temp gauge is not working properly. When I was doing all that testing, the gauge was not showing the engine temp. By the way, our gauge does indicate temps higher than 260 deg. I was also worried I may get the gauge stuck since I've seen that happen on other gauges. But the gauge always did come off that high mark.

Your probably correct in your assuming the calibration resistor on the gauge is making poor contact.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The best thing to do is spend the time disassembling the cluster and putting pins in the gauges to prevent the needle from swinging out of range.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    02613

The cooling fans switch on when the gauge sender is at about 158 Ohms and switch off at about 172 Ohms.

What I'd really like to do is replace the entire gauge cluster with something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4N2I3A6OuE

But that is not going to happen any time soon -- partly because the owner who created the Adobe Illustrator template has gone silent, and partly because the project starts with a $600+ cluster set from Dakota Digital. Historically, when I have spent money on something unnecessary, something necessary has failed soon after, and I kick myself for wasting money. It's "needs" only instead of "wants" until I am working full-time again. So I will remove the cluster I have, meticulously clean all of the contacts, and see if it solves my temperature gauge problem. Even if it doesn't, a replacement volt/temp gauge unit is less than a third of the price of the Dakota Digital cluster.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Bill found a great place for the temporary "manual shifter."

Manual Shift Controller In Dash.jpg

To quote a very active member of this forum: "...hehe."

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Just as long as you dont forget which button is which....
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

It needs a buzz word, like "sparky-shiftronic shifter module."

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Just as long as you dont forget which button is which....
    You must think I'm even stupider than I really am.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Go to about :50 hehe......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lciq0HpaUw8
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

One step forward: Aftermarket coolant temperature sensor & gauge have been installed and show correct temperature. The temporary gauge sits on top of the console where I can see it while driving.

Two steps back, part one: Another transmission fluid leak. This time it looks like a cracked fitting -- which snapped in two when removal was attempted. The part is no longer available.

Two steps back, part two: Gear oil leak. A few years ago I had a similar leak and solved it by installing flange sleeves and all-rubber seals. Sleeves are stainless steel, so failure is unlikely; I suspect seal failure.

Plans to eventually replace the stock cooler with something better and in a different location have been replaced with plans to immediately replace the stock cooler with something better and in a different location. All-rubber axle seals will be replaced with OEM-equivalent seals.

Parts have been ordered and will ship today.

Page 25 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast