Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
Results 131 to 138 of 138

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

  1. #131
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,502

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Compression test results:

    Cylinder 1: 150+ PSI (needle just to right of hashmark)
    Cylinder 2: 150+ PSI (needle just to right of hashmark)
    Cylinder 3: 155 PSI
    Cylinder 4: 160 PSI
    Cylinder 5: 160 PSI
    Cylinder 6: 160- PSI (needle just to left of hashmark)
    looks perfect to me. Im sure bill is on it, but at this point it sounds like the timing (chains) are off.

  2. #132
    Voice For Hire Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Long Island, New York

    Posts:    4,138

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    looks perfect to me. Im sure bill is on it, but at this point it sounds like the timing (chains) are off.
    I'm pretty sure Bill double-checked before he put the valve covers back on.

    For what it's worth, the engine idles fine apart from that very slight vibration at idle. Apart from that, it runs smoothly, and revs freely, all the way up to the redline.

    I'm no engine timing expert. If the timing chain were off one tooth, would there be any other symptoms?
    DeLorean status: 3.0L engine installed; tests in progress.

  3. #133
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,502

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I'm pretty sure Bill double-checked before he put the valve covers back on.

    For what it's worth, the engine idles fine apart from that very slight vibration at idle. Apart from that, it runs smoothly, and revs freely, all the way up to the redline.

    I'm no engine timing expert. If the timing chain were off one tooth, would there be any other symptoms?
    Besides low vaccum

    The engine will hesitate when you get on the gas
    Performance will be poor across the power band
    Poor fuel mileage

    A worn out timing chain tensioner could also give these symptoms.

  4. #134
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    369

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Besides low vaccum

    The engine will hesitate when you get on the gas
    Performance will be poor across the power band
    Poor fuel mileage

    A worn out timing chain tensioner could also give these symptoms.
    Bill measured the camshafts and found they are different from stock. Farrar's PO was Bobby Allison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Allison). Is it plausible that a NASCAR driver would have the means to make a new set of camshafts that result in the vacuum signal being weaker?
    New & Improved V3 S/S Alternator Tensioning Bracket - $39.99
    New & Used DeLorean Parts on eBay HERE.
    S/S Upper Alternator Bracket for Saturn/Autozone Alternator - $39.99
    QA1 Coil-Over Suspension Kit - Complete Kit - $1,149.99 w/ FREE SHIPPING
    QA1 "DIY" Coil-Over Suspension Kit - $99.99
    Mirror switch rebuilding service w/ new springs & ball bearings - $49.50
    HEI Performance Ignition Module (Exchange) - $149.99
    Welding services also (all metals)!
    http://www.drivestainless.com

  5. #135
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,502

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Bill measured the camshafts and found they are different from stock. Farrar's PO was Bobby Allison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Allison). Is it plausible that a NASCAR driver would have the means to make a new set of camshafts that result in the vacuum signal being weaker?
    Those would be some pretty aggressive cams to drop it that much, you would be able to hear it I would think. Who knows though.

    Is he comparing to another stock 3.0 cam? or the 2.8? Cause the 3.0 cam is certainly different than the 2.8.

  6. #136
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    369

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Those would be some pretty aggressive cams to drop it that much, you would be able to hear it I would think. Who knows though.

    Is he comparing to another stock 3.0 cam? or the 2.8? Cause the 3.0 cam is certainly different than the 2.8.
    I think Bill is up to three 3.0L's now.
    New & Improved V3 S/S Alternator Tensioning Bracket - $39.99
    New & Used DeLorean Parts on eBay HERE.
    S/S Upper Alternator Bracket for Saturn/Autozone Alternator - $39.99
    QA1 Coil-Over Suspension Kit - Complete Kit - $1,149.99 w/ FREE SHIPPING
    QA1 "DIY" Coil-Over Suspension Kit - $99.99
    Mirror switch rebuilding service w/ new springs & ball bearings - $49.50
    HEI Performance Ignition Module (Exchange) - $149.99
    Welding services also (all metals)!
    http://www.drivestainless.com

  7. #137
    Voice For Hire Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Long Island, New York

    Posts:    4,138

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

    Josh: Thanks for the diagnostic info. The engine seems to be suffering no other symptoms, but at the moment it also doesn't have the load of torque converter, axles, etc. to push against. Perhaps we will get more information when the engine is closer to normal operating conditions.

    Matt: I thought the comparison Bill made was to stock 3.0L camshafts, not stock 2.8L camshafts. Did I get that wrong?

    I think #2613's 2.8L engine, when it was healthy, pulled about 18 inches of vacuum. I know other engines pull more in the range of 20-21, but I never gave it much thought.
    DeLorean status: 3.0L engine installed; tests in progress.

  8. #138
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    369

    Farrar: Check with Bill, but I believe he compared with the 2.8 L camshafts to understand that they were not the same and also compared with 3.0 L camshafts to understand they were close enough.
    New & Improved V3 S/S Alternator Tensioning Bracket - $39.99
    New & Used DeLorean Parts on eBay HERE.
    S/S Upper Alternator Bracket for Saturn/Autozone Alternator - $39.99
    QA1 Coil-Over Suspension Kit - Complete Kit - $1,149.99 w/ FREE SHIPPING
    QA1 "DIY" Coil-Over Suspension Kit - $99.99
    Mirror switch rebuilding service w/ new springs & ball bearings - $49.50
    HEI Performance Ignition Module (Exchange) - $149.99
    Welding services also (all metals)!
    http://www.drivestainless.com

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •