FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    1710

Farrar, I have no insight to add to your electrical inquiry, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to see Sparky up and running and back in your possession. What do you think of the 3.0 vs your original 2.8?
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Nice to hear from you, Louie!

The car is up and running, yes, but not in my possession. There was the possibility that I could have taken possession of it last weekend when Bill was in the D.C. area, but I pinched a nerve in my lower back two weeks ago and recovery is an annoyingly slow process.

Bill says the car is still on probation, but he did finally take it on its first extended test drive at highway speeds recently: having towed it to D.C. on his service truck, Bill drove #2613 to a big annual tech gathering at Justin M.'s house last weekend, a little less than 100 miles away in Pennsylvania.

(Why a 100 mile test drive? AAA+ membership includes 100 miles free towing per breakdown.)

The car made it there and back again with no problems ... but in D.C., the fuel filter clogged up. Rather than call AAA, however, Bill called a local friend who brought a replacement fuel filter. Then Bill bought a spare fuel filter to keep in the car. I guess Bill was so excited to take #2613 for a real drive that he initially forgot about the goop on the sides of the fuel tank.

Anyway, before the fuel filter mess: in Pennsylvania, a couple of people saw and heard the car. Derrin R. took it for a drive. The even-firing engine idles very smoothly. The exhaust currently on the car is reported to be quieter than the old "performance exhaust" which makes me happy: the old exhaust was so loud that highway driving was terrible and I felt sorry for my neighbors every time I had to work on the car and run the engine in the garage. Bill even called me from inside the car and I could hear his voice clearly without a lot of background noise, so I'd say it's greatly improved. The c. 2000 exhaust was rusty, anyway, so I was never planning to put it back on once removed.

Derrin also says that #2613 is now definitely faster than a stock automatic DeLorean. But honestly, performance wasn't what I had in mind when looking at engine swaps: my goal was to get the car moving under its own power again because the longer it sat the worse it was going to get.

I was worried about the tires, but they seem to be OK. Although I bought them just before DCS Gettysburg, the car was almost always parked in a garage when at home, and when it was not running I kept it on jack-stands. So the tires aren't sun-damaged and they don't have flat spots.

(And Bill has warned me about my original 1981 spare that is still in the trunk. )

I can't wait to get the car back once Bill has officially declared #2613's probationary period over. Meanwhile, I feel sorry for poor Bill on those boring test drives: #2613's radio is sitting in a box in my garage.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Looks like no one has any ideas about my electrical mod. Well, then. I guess I can just have a Y- jumper handy when I drive the car home (with luck in full daylight and no rain), and then try my mod once #2613 is in my own garage.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

3.0L engine swap

So in your schematic, you are using the single position on/off hazard switch to operate the headlight Feed to the main or high beam relays, while also adding a new relay to operate park/tail/marker lights. Is that correct? You will not have a park only position with that configuration.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 10-08-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    So in your schematic, you are using the single position on/off hazard switch to operate the headlight Feed to the main or high beam relays, while also adding a new relay to operate park/tail/marker lights. Is that correct? You will not have a park only position with that configuration.
    Yes and yes.

Thanks!

It should work. I’m kind a curious why you’re opting for this vs the “logic box”replacement DMCH switch.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It should work. I’m kind a curious why you’re opting for this vs the “logic box”replacement DMCH switch.
    Thanks for checking my drawing!

Why:

1. I don't like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

2. Hazard Switch: $45.00 if I have to buy a new one, free if I find the spare that is sitting in a box in the garage vs. DMC Headlight Switch: $88.00 + shipping.

3. The area behind the radio is crowded enough in my opinion.

3.0L engine swap

Fair enough.

if I’m not mistaken, i think you’re configuration is similar the Hervey headlight switch saver fix. Except that in his version, the OE headlight switch is still used for the dual position feature. This assumes you have a good working headlight switch to begin with though.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 10-08-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    DENNIS

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post

Why:

2. Hazard Switch: $45.00 if I have to buy a new one, free if I find the spare that is sitting in a box in the garage vs. DMC Headlight Switch: $88.00 + shipping.

The switches are electrically very different. The hazard is on/off, the headlight is parking light/headlight/off. They are not interchangeable.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post

Why:

1. I don't like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

3. The area behind the radio is crowded enough in my opinion.
    I absolutely hated DMCH's switch. Better option is to go with DMCEU's switch. It is the factory style (plug n play) with beefed up internals. Only $69 on deloreango.com
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast