FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks, Dennis, for that info. I guess the wiring diagram is for "early" cars and the list of fused circuits is for "late" cars.

#2613 for some reason has features of both "early" cars (e.g. no high pressure release for the a/c) and "late" cars (e.g. starting circuit wiring).

I guess any DMC-12 is going to be a crapshoot in some way or another.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I looked at the wiring diagram for the automatic transmission computer and it seems that the light green/white wire provides power for shift solenoid #2.
    No, the light green/white wire provides power for the reverse lights (fuse 16>multi-function switch>green/brown).

Looking at the workshop manual for solenoid engagement, it looks like first gear is solenoids 1 & 2, second gear is solenoid 2, and third gear is neither solenoid. Can someone confirm this?
    Yes. But note fuse 13 provides power for BOTH solenoids (hot with key), and that the governor OR multi-function switch can ground them them....

Latest I have:
    CompleteGovernorComputer062017.jpg

Thanks for that info, Ron.

The previous owner of my car included the original auto trans. computer which had been removed. (I guess he bought a new one instead of sending it back to be rebuilt.) Assuming it survived the move, (it was in a plastic garbage bag and someone may have thrown it away...) I am going to look at it and maybe if the wires are in good shape I will just shotgun the CBs using the diagram you posted here and other info in the "Resources" section.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Lots of other 'computer' info here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?35...er%2C+governor

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I can only imagine what TSA would do if they found a fire extinguisher in my luggage.
    They would take it off you, and that's all probably.

As you are on instagram, check out the TSA page - it's full of pics of stuff folks try and bring on, or forget they have.

It's my favorite page/feed/whateverTheseThingsOnInstagramAreCalled
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Lots of other 'computer' info here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?35...er%2C+governor
    ... is exactly where I got the rest of my info of course

Well, lookie what we have here.

Today was a day full of stuff I didn't want to deal with but had to anyway, but finally tonight I had a chance to go digging in the garage and scored this:

origatgov.jpg

It is, for some reason, covered in silver colored something that rubs off very easily. Also, it looks like someone tried to repair a leaky o-ring by gooping RTV on the connector and putting a hose clamp on the boot. Huh?

Anyway, both circuit boards are present. If I can confirm good continuity of the harness itself (and traces on the circuit boards), I will start buying parts to rebuild the circuit boards. (Including upgrades, of course.)

Why would I rather do this myself? Because if the problem is not the governor, then I won't have spent however many hundreds of dollars to have the old one rebuilt unnecessarily. (Also -- I'll have a spare!)
    Last edited by Farrar; 06-29-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: edit edit edit

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You are fortunate to have spare to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You are fortunate to have spare to work with.
    Indeed I am. However, there's a ton of electrical tape on the harness. Either it was put there to try to keep everything together, or the insulation was damaged somehow. Once I remove it, I will have to see whether there is damage to just the outer sheath, or whether any of the individual wires was damaged and needs to be replaced. I am not above splicing an entire harness if the connectors have to be re-used. It's more work, but it's easy work.

ATTN Ron or anyone else familiar with the AT governor: on the parts list, two of the transistors are commented "needs verification." Did anyone verify them? I have made my shopping list and I want to make sure all of the parts I get are correct before I buy anything.

I have made my shopping list
    And it's useless.

The "parts list" on the AT gov. thread in the Resources section of this forum is incomplete. It's nice that I know I need, for example, an 8.25kOhm resistor for R6, but without knowing the wattage, I can't order the proper part. All of these components are in a tiny box which will be heated, so I imagine that proper dissipation is important. I can't order anything from Mouser or DigiKey without having more information.

A few of my friends are electrical engineers. I can swap parts out but I can't analyze the circuit because I never took any EE classes. I'm going to run this by them on Facebook and see if they might be able to help.

Nice to have a spare harness & governor to work on... not so nice to be able to be absolutely useless with it.

Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast