FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This is my parts list (mouser) from when I rebuilt my shift governor. I didn't use all of the parts though. Just replacing the main big resistors, all of the capacitors, and the two large transistors got my transmission working correctly again. You really just need the two large TIP42C transistors, and the capacitors. The resistors are probably still fine. I ordered everything on the board just to be safe anyway. The total was something like $16.

Good luck!

I'd be willing to do the work for you if you'd like.

Thanks!
    Jayce

IMG_20160319_230945032.jpgIMG_20160319_230933188.jpgIMG_20160319_214832825.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RamblinDMC; 06-30-2017 at 12:57 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's amazing to see how crudely these boards were made. Hand assembled Technology of the day. Compare that with modern day Surface mount assemblies built by high speed robots. The difference is staggering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    This is my parts list (mouser) from when I rebuilt my shift governor. I didn't use all of the parts though. Just replacing the main big resistors, all of the capacitors, and the two large transistors got my transmission working correctly again. You really just need the two large TIP42C transistors, and the capacitors. The resistors are probably still fine. I ordered everything on the board just to be safe anyway. The total was something like $16.

Good luck!

I'd be willing to do the work for you if you'd like.

Thanks!
    Jayce

IMG_20160319_230945032.jpgIMG_20160319_230933188.jpgIMG_20160319_214832825.jpg
    It looks like the two capacitors in your photo #3 have blown the sealing out of the end.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It looks like the two capacitors in your photo #3 have blown the sealing out of the end.

They were certainly bad. Good thing I was able to replace them.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It's amazing to see how crudely these boards were made. Hand assembled Technology of the day.
    One of the things I like to tell people is that although the DMC-12 is associated with the 1980s, it was essentially designed in the 1970s and built to 1970s standards using 1970s technology.

An engineer friend of mine is not so sure about the recommended 1N4007 diodes, because of how terrible automotive power is ... he suggests putting a TVS at 18 volts and a Schottky in reverse as better protection.

And because big caps are cheap, he suggests a 33 uF ceramic with 50-100v rating in parallel with the 100 nF. Leave the 100 nF in there because the ESR is probably lower.

Time for me to take a crash course in basic electronics.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    One of the things I like to tell people is that although the DMC-12 is associated with the 1980s, it was essentially designed in the 1970s and built to 1970s standards using 1970s technology.

An engineer friend of mine is not so sure about the recommended 1N4007 diodes, because of how terrible automotive power is ... he suggests putting a TVS at 18 volts and a Schottky in reverse as better protection.

And because big caps are cheap, he suggests a 33 uF ceramic with 50-100v rating in parallel with the 100 nF. Leave the 100 nF in there because the ESR is probably lower.

Time for me to take a crash course in basic electronics.
    The capacitor voltage rating drops when operated in elevated heat. Probably 25 volt Tantalum caps would be the best choice if they physically fit. The 0.1 uf ceramic caps at 50 volts are the common high frequency bypass caps.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Jayce, thanks for your parts list. I will have it on hand for future reference.

test rig to fire solenoids manually?

Things are getting very sad for #2613. I have to make a last-ditch attempt to figure out what the problem is. If it is the controller, there's no way Bill is going to replace it. He will more likely tow the car up here and have me deal with it.

If I knew enough about this circuit, I might be able to diagnose controller failure by firing the solenoids manually using some kind of test rig with a couple of switches (and looking at the test lights to confirm). But I do not know enough about this circuit. I need help.

Here's the situation as well as I can remember it:

- wiring harness has been hacked into at the firewall and the original computer governor bypassed in order to install Angwin controller via splices
    - splices run from butt connectors at the firewall to one half of a 12-pin molex connector
    - Angwin controller is in driver's cubby hole, connected via other half of the 12-pin molex connector

All I have to do in order to remove the Angwin controller is unplug that molex connector. Then I have unfettered access to every wire in that harness except for the diagnostic wires.

I need help from the experts: Is there any way I could remove the Angwin controller and connect a couple of switches to the molex connector in order to test fire those solenoids? All of the wires are labeled by color of the wires in the original wiring harness, so figuring out which wire is easy as long as I know the color.

Bill beat me to it: he was able to fire the solenoids manually with a couple of jumper wires.

Now that we know the transmission itself is OK, Bill will mail the Angwin controller to me so that I can repair it, with a little help from my friends. (Apologies to any Beatles fans.)

Bill is the man!

Congrats on the news. Looks like it's moving forwards.

Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast