FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiterbandit View Post
    Congrats on the news. Looks like it's moving forwards.
    Even slow progress is progress. I'm trying not to be too optimistic. #2613 has a way of fighting repairs. LOL
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Hack of the day: Bill made a box to fire the shift solenoids manually.

He didn't explain why, but it seems that the wires require the load of a light bulb on each in order to function properly.

After testing with the wheels in the air, he made a successful test drive. He also confirmed that the splices I made into the harness to install the Angwin unit are intact.

It seems the transmission itself is fine, and the failed Angwin controller was definitely the problem. As mentioned before, the Angwin controller is on its way to me for repairs.

EDIT: Bill also ran out of fuel twice. The fuel gauge is pegged all the way up. I'm guessing the previous owner's Grady sender got gunked up with varnish and failed. I ordered a new sender from Houston. Let's hope Bill doesn't get stranded the next time he test drives my car. LOL
    Last edited by Farrar; 07-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    EDIT: Bill also ran out of fuel twice. The fuel gauge is pegged all the way up. I'm guessing the previous owner's Grady sender got gunked up with varnish and failed. I ordered a new sender from Houston. Let's hope Bill doesn't get stranded the next time he test drives my car. LOL
    That kind of seems like a: "once, shame on you; twice, shame on me," scenario. Hopefully by now he's learned to keep some gas with him

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

3.0L engine swap

If the gauge is pegged straight up, you have an open circuit. It's not necessarily the sending unit itself. I could be oxidization at the cluster PCB or any connection between the sender and Gauge. I take it the the low fuel light is INOP too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 07-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It's not necessarily the sending unit itself.
    I wish I had considered this $170 ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    That kind of seems like a: "once, shame on you; twice, shame on me," scenario. Hopefully by now he's learned to keep some gas with him
    Well, at least he ran out of gas uphill and not far from his house. LOL

Bill is quite satisfied with his little solenoid control box. He changed his mind about sending me the Angwin controller so that I can fix it. Now he has decided that he's not going to mail me the Angwin unit after all, and wants me to drive home firing the solenoids manually. The success of that box depends partly on the load of the light bulbs, which makes me nervous, but that doesn't matter. Bill's work is finished: he installed the 3.0L and confirmed its function, which is exactly what he said he'd do. And considering that my car has sat in his driveway for over a year, I really can't blame him for wanting it gone!

When are you going to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiterbandit View Post
    When are you going to get it?
    Probably some time after Bill receives the new license plates, registration, and insurance proofs that I am sending him in the mail so that he can continue testing the vehicle now that I've moved from Louisiana to New York...

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Can we please keep this thread for Farrars conversion?

Could JB start another thread detailing his experiences rather than hijack this one?

Both are worthy but when they both get intertwined it can be hard to follow.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Can we please keep this thread for Farrars conversion?

Could JB start another thread detailing his experiences rather than hijack this one?

Both are worthy but when they both get intertwined it can be hard to follow.
    Good Idea -- New Thread HERE

Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast