FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    the 3.0 is an easy mechanical swap, bolts in like the stock PRV
    Only if you swap out lower engine castings (which requires unbolting the main bearings -- bearing caps are bolted through the lower casting). Rather than do that, Farrar will leave the 3.0 lower casting in place and mount it to a pair of engine cradle extensions like mine.

Note that 3.0 motor mounts bosses are shaped differently than DeLorean motor mounts (much shallower angle). DeLorean motor mounts have a big protrusion inside to compensate for their steeper boss angle. To use a 3.0 lower casting you need 3.0 motor mounts to go with it (big protrusion inside DeLorean motor mounts, combined with the shallower boss angle, lays the motor mount almost flat).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Let's not forget that this engine swap will be part of a larger project of putting my car back on the road after over two years. I will have to inspect many things and probably replace more than just the engine. Before transporting it to NC I put five gallons of fresh fuel in the tank to help dissolve old fuel varnish while it sits. But I am probably looking at replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel line. Also the brake fluid is old and will need to be replaced, so at that time I will inspect the braking system and see if anything is stuck. Cooling system will have to be flushed and re-filled -- good opportunity to check for contaminants. I'll have to check all of the rubber hoses and bushings on the car which may have dry-rotted in the extreme heat of south Louisiana over the last couple of years. As Bill pointed out, I need new CV joints, too. And I'm sure there will be more things needing my attention that I can't even think of at the moment. So this thread will probably end up being about more than just swapping in the 3.0L engine (if it isn't already).
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Only if you swap out lower engine castings (which requires unbolting the main bearings -- bearing caps are bolted through the lower casting). Rather than do that, Farrar will leave the 3.0 lower casting in place and mount it to a pair of engine cradle extensions like mine.

Note that 3.0 motor mounts bosses are shaped differently than DeLorean motor mounts (much shallower angle). DeLorean motor mounts have a big protrusion inside to compensate for their steeper boss angle. To use a 3.0 lower casting you need 3.0 motor mounts to go with it (big protrusion inside DeLorean motor mounts, combined with the shallower boss angle, lays the motor mount almost flat).

Bill Robertson
    Ive seen those mounts, they scare me. Basically the whole engine is mounted on a cantilever plate. Not to mention the plate is anchored by only two m8 bolts, with mounting holes that can strip out very easily.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I think you've confused 3.0 motor mounts with DeLorean motor mounts. DeLorean motor mounts are held on with two 8mm bolts. 3.0 motor mounts have integrated 12mm studs: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...a7&oe=584E46EE

3.0 motor mounts are the same basic design as DeLorean mounts, but the metal is much thicker (3/16"). They are quite heavy duty. One interesting feature is the lower plate wraps around the upper plate as a fail safe: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...b3&oe=5846F0CA

Bill Robertson

Update:

An ignition distributor has been test-fitted, and intake manifold adapter plates are being made.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Update:

An ignition distributor has been test-fitted, and intake manifold adapter plates are being made.
    How did you set up the ignition distributor? I know a few different options have been explored.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    How did you set up the ignition distributor? I know a few different options have been explored.
    Wait for it. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Wait for it. LOL.
    I guess Matt will keep everyone informed from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I guess Matt will keep everyone informed from now on.
    I will not, but I was amazed by the solution.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I'm going to guess it involves a Ford distributor with a welded gear and a Duraspark control module. But that's just a guess :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast