FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

There is a write-up out there somewhere, I just am having trouble finding it. I have read it before so I know it exists.

Vibration is not normal, and this should not be installed to mask it. You should dig into your front end and see why you're having these issues. Get your tires balanced, get an alignment. I've driven my car with a horrible vibration up front. I replaced a ton of parts chasing it! Bearings. Ball joints. Tie rod ends. Pretty much everything you could replace was done and in the end I had a great, smooth steering vehicle.

I'm interested in these parts because I do not have confidence in the factory u-joints. I'm on my third of fourth pair, I can't remember which and it feels like the lower is already getting a little slop in it. I've even used the upgraded DMCH u-joint back when they were offering it, probably a decade ago, which too failed causing a lot of steering play.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Given the vibration I have through my wheel I'm exploring all options as well. It's the one thing that really keeps the car from being comfortable to drive. Would be interested in that write-up if it exists. Or is it just a direct swap of the factory components?
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to where the write-up on the installation of this is? It's on my list of things to complete.
    Here is one write-up:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?5...hlight=spec+01
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Between VINs

There is a write-up out there somewhere, I just am having trouble finding it. I have read it before so I know it exists.

Vibration is not normal, and this should not be installed to mask it. You should dig into your front end and see why you're having these issues. Get your tires balanced, get an alignment. I've driven my car with a horrible vibration up front. I replaced a ton of parts chasing it! Bearings. Ball joints. Tie rod ends. Pretty much everything you could replace was done and in the end I had a great, smooth steering vehicle.

I'm interested in these parts because I do not have confidence in the factory u-joints. I'm on my third of fourth pair, I can't remember which and it feels like the lower is already getting a little slop in it. I've even used the upgraded DMCH u-joint back when they were offering it, probably a decade ago, which too failed causing a lot of steering play.
    Thanks, I've only had the car about 10 days so I haven't torn into anything yet. The car is in great shape and a lot of that stuff is new so hopefully my chase won't be so long. I'll be annoyed if it's a brake problem given most of the system is relatively new.

My VIN:    02613

Sorry, no - I don't have a link to a write-up.

You can use normal U-joints or you can swap out the bottom one for a vibration-reducing U-joint. Cut the DD shaft to the length you need (shorter if you go the vibration-reducing U-joint route) and don't forget to mark and drill small recesses for the set screws.

In case anyone was wondering: I'm not trying to cure any vibrations in #2613 caused by bad bushings, slop in the rack, or anything else. I am simply getting rid of the super-sporty "Holy cow, Marge, I just ran over a dime! Did you feel that?" experience which some people like but I don't. Same reason I bought softer shocks for this car. Tastes vary.

EDIT: I see I missed an entire page of comments. Well, I'm glad somebody found a write-up.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

RE: Borgeson components.

It just occurred to me that although I bought a steel DD shaft, a stainless steel one is available. If I see much corrosion on the steel shaft after a little while of driving, I will replace it with a stainless steel one. However, the one that came from Dunmurry has survived this long without getting terribly rusty, besides which the steel shouldn't corrode-weld itself into stainless steel U-joints, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If I see much corrosion on the steel shaft after a little while of driving, I will replace it with a stainless steel one.
    On second thought, I'd rather just spend the money up front and not have to worry about it after installation. I'm swapping out the steel one for stainless in advance. Fortunately, Amazon is good about returns...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Any word on when you're going to get the car?
    -----Dan B.

Any word on when you're going to get the car?
    Whenever it's most convenient. Right now we're waiting on the movers to get here. Once that's done and we don't have boxes filling the garage, we'll conduct the prisoner transfer at a midway point. Bill has driven the car several times without incident, so as far as we are concerned, it's ready to go once everyone's schedules line up. Then I can take it home and start working on the transmission computer and temperature gauge problems. Right now, though, I don't have any tools. Not even a floor jack.

Radiator bracket cracked. (Rough test drive? Already cracked? Who knows?) Fortunately, Bill can weld steel. (I can't.)

Before:

Radiator Bracket Cracked Top.jpgRadiator Bracket Cracked Bottom.jpg

After:

Radiator Bracket Repaired Bottom.jpgRadiator Bracket Repaired Top.jpg

Not pictured: paint. I assure you, it will be painted before it's reinstalled on #2613.

Going to pick it up in a few weeks. Then I can start working on the other stuff!

Did I mention the lower steering column?

2613 Steering Column.jpg

I don't have a drill press, so I am grateful to Bill for using his drill press to drill the recesses for the set screws on the shaft.

Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast