FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Well, the Dodge Monaco O-rings are a perfect fit (of course) but I still have a vacuum leak at cylinder #4.

Although the package says "Not for use with gasoline," I decided to use some leftover RTV to bolster the O-rings and bolted everything back down tonight. It didn't look like much when I squeezed it in, but when I tightened the manifold down it squished out and looks rather horrible. I'll leave it to cure overnight and see what the morning brings.

I just can't imagine why the O-rings that were installed were problem-free for hundreds of miles, and then when the car sat for three weeks they had somehow shrank. I don't get it.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Well, the Dodge Monaco O-rings are a perfect fit (of course) but I still have a vacuum leak at cylinder #4.

Although the package says "Not for use with gasoline," I decided to use some leftover RTV to bolster the O-rings and bolted everything back down tonight. It didn't look like much when I squeezed it in, but when I tightened the manifold down it squished out and looks rather horrible. I'll leave it to cure overnight and see what the morning brings.

I just can't imagine why the O-rings that were installed were problem-free for hundreds of miles, and then when the car sat for three weeks they had somehow shrank. I don't get it.

I would pull the intake off and remove the RTV ASAP. You don't need it, and it could make removal very difficult next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I would pull the intake off and remove the RTV ASAP. You don't need it, and it could make removal very difficult next time.
    What would you use instead?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

When I had my original PRV I used a thin coat of Indian head shellac on the orings.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    When I had my original PRV I used a thin coat of Indian head shellac on the orings.
    Oh, man! That stuff is even harder to remove than RTV! LOL Good thinking, though. I had forgotten about that stuff. Thanks!

What would you use instead?
    I assume you want to use the RTV because you're unsure where the vacuum leak is located. I would determine if the new o-rings resolve it first on their own.

EDIT: You don't know whether the leak is at the o-ring or the adapter plate on #4, correct?

I would determine if the new o-rings resolve it first on their own.
    They do not.

Hence "they fit but I still have a vacuum leak" in the earlier post.

They do not.

Hence "they fit but I still have a vacuum leak" in the earlier post.
    Is the leak definitely at the o-ring or is it at the adapter plate gasket?

Is the leak definitely at the o-ring or is it at the adapter plate gasket?
    I don't know. The adapter plates are glued on with anaerobic sealant. When I removed the old O-rings, the cylinder #4 O-ring had about 1/4" right at the top of the mating surface which was dirty, so obviously air had been sucking in there. (And so had brake cleaner, since I used that to troubleshoot with the engine running.)

So I have been working on the assumption that the O-rings are the problem, but there could be a problem elsewhere, too.

During troubleshooting I blocked off the vacuum ports except for spark advance and none made a difference in engine performance, so at least I know vaguely the location of the leak.

I don't know. The adapter plates are glued on with anaerobic sealant. When I removed the old O-rings, the cylinder #4 O-ring had about 1/4" right at the top of the mating surface which was dirty, so obviously air had been sucking in there. (And so had brake cleaner, since I used that to troubleshoot with the engine running.)

So I have been working on the assumption that the O-rings are the problem, but there could be a problem elsewhere, too.

During troubleshooting I blocked off the vacuum ports except for spark advance and none made a difference in engine performance, so at least I know vaguely the location of the leak.
    Bill has another type of o-ring that he uses that may help seal the leak without resorting to RTV, etc.

Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast