FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Thread: 3.0L engine swap

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I drove 60+ miles today and waited until the engine was nice and cool before popping the cap to see what color the coolant is.

It's green!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Bravo!!!

Nice to hear your persistence has paid off
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Thanks, Nick!

I guess I should also say that my experience with this should be a cautionary tale: anyone doing an engine swap needs to inspect the donor engine to see if there is any brown Dex-Cool sludge in it. If you're going to have to flush sludge out, you might as well flush it out before the engine is installed and connected to the rest of the system, where it can clog the radiator and heater core.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

3.0L engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    According to a few articles and videos I've found on the subject of Dex-Cool sludge, the problem is that the sludge forms when air is introduced to the coolant. So if there was a coolant leak that allowed air to enter the system, it was possible for the sludge to form
    Yes, the brown mud tends to form in high points and air traps within the cool system where the cool doesn’t flow. My daughter had a 2000 Grand Prix with 3600 V6. I had too pull the Intake manifold on it and replace the composite intake gaskets. There was was passage in each head that was blocked off from coolant flow by the gasket. When I Removed the gasket the cavity was full of mud. The rest of the coolant passages with flow were bright and clean aluminum with no signs of mud at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I've driven over 150 miles this week. As I found myself at Costco for the second time since Sunday, this little idea popped into my head. Enjoy.

bttgs.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hehe funny
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I drove the car a dozen times this week without problems. Fortunately, the end of the cooling system debacle means that I can get back to work on this "rolling resto-mod." Now I can stop worrying about that and get to work on some of the other things that need attention. As followers of this thread may already be aware, I was doing some modifications to improve the interior lighting and some other electrical work. And since I'm not spending my money on cooling system and a/c parts I can finally get around to replacing the automatic transmission controller. Time to move on. ... or should I say "Time to drive on"?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Great work on the HP/LP harness wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Great work on the HP/LP harness wiring.
    Thanks, Dennis! For the first few years of ownership I had no garage and limited tools, and things started going south on the car a lot faster than I'd planned, so I had to "make do" a lot. But now I have a garage and a work bench and so many other luxuries I didn't have back then, so working on the car is a lot more fun because I can do things the right way at last!

Just a quick note to say that I have driven the car regularly since the radiator swap and have had no cooling problems. The coolant still looks good and I haven't touched it in weeks.

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 LastLast