Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Woodward Dream Cruise 2016 - Saturday, August 20, 2016

  1. #11
    Custom DeLorean Builder Rich W's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Chicagoland area

    Posts:    1,593

    My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    <snip> It seems like we do none here in Detroit which is funny because we have a lot of places here where the car was developed, not to mention where JZD lived and went to school at... <snip>
    http://www.deloreanmotorcity.com/gal...itagetour.html

  2. #12
    Senior Member aotmfilms's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Location:  Macomb MI #DOCBRWN

    Posts:    300

    My VIN:    5778

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    and that my friend is from 2010.....

    but having lived 5 miles away from JZD I know about "The Tour" The tour.JPG

    I am aware of that, like I said, I do my own events.

    Matter of fact, back when DMC was a corporation.....he is a local legend here people did it without a DeLorean though. JZD is both loved and despised depending on who you talk to.

    --Doug

    CORRECTION: Copyright (c) 2007 DeLorean Motor City. All rights reserved.

    Good info though
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 08-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

    "Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

  3. #13
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    195

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    My neck of the woods is Chicago. Byron is the president of DeLorean Motor City club.
    Tony Swann and myself organize events for the DeLorean Midwest Connection club.

    Tony and I have helped Byron organize a group display for Woodward the past few years,
    since Byron has had his hands full with work and life in general, during Woodward events.

    After having been squeezed into a few spaces near a liquor store and in the outfield of the
    baseball field (in the rain) in Memorial Park (just off of Woodward at 13), I really doubt the
    main reason for "liking" the MB location is because of where Byron lives, and has more to
    do with that it is a very nice location, in a nice area, with parking for a whole group of cars.
    My only issue with the MB location is - location. It is so far from everywhere. Granted you get a parking spot by the road with bleachers to sit in, but you cannot conveniently walk to any other local happenings (stores, shows, parties, displays, etc.). Over a mile walk to the nearest place that sells food. Found that out the hard way.

    The baseball field at 13 mile was the best in my opinion. You were not cramped into a parking spot*, plenty of space, it was less than a minute walk to Woodward Ave. In between the ball field and Woodward was another grass area filled with other show cars. Once at Woodward there were plenty of food vendors for all tastes from "carnie" (Mmm Mmmm fried oreos!) to normal restaurants. Live music & other entertainment.

    *Cramped Parking Spots
    Rich mentioned the cramped Liquor Store location - funny - DMCH employees were the only people who utilized the "reserved parking" at that location (the parking lot to the right of the store). Everyone else crammed into the curb parking just out front which is FREE public parking that the store owners cannot reserve or sell. Looks like they made out on us that year for only two spots used.

    If you get there early enough you can have the best parking spot right on the road. But it doesn't have "in and out" privileges that most desire for an occasional cruise with your spot saved for when you get back. You also have to deal with more people waking in and out right up against your car.


    As far as traffic - 14 Mile Rd. is basically the middle of it all. If you are on Woodward driving North to 14 Mile Rd. or driving South to 14 Mile Rd. it will be much much slower than if you go to 14 Mile Road and drive either North or South from there.

    It is the world's largest intentional traffic jam after all! :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 68,971 miles and counting (OVER 7 yr 1 months & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 210K miles

  4. #14
    Custom DeLorean Builder Rich W's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Chicagoland area

    Posts:    1,593

    My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    My only issue with the MB location is - location. It is so far from everywhere. Granted you get a parking spot by the road with bleachers to sit in, but you cannot conveniently walk to any other local happenings (stores, shows, parties, displays, etc.). Over a mile walk to the nearest place that sells food. Found that out the hard way.

    The baseball field at 13 mile was the best in my opinion. You were not cramped into a parking spot*, plenty of space, it was less than a minute walk to Woodward Ave. In between the ball field and Woodward was another grass area filled with other show cars. Once at Woodward there were plenty of food vendors for all tastes from "carnie" (Mmm Mmmm fried oreos!) to normal restaurants. Live music & other entertainment.

    *Cramped Parking Spots
    Rich mentioned the cramped Liquor Store location - funny - DMCH employees were the only people who utilized the "reserved parking" at that location (the parking lot to the right of the store). Everyone else crammed into the curb parking just out front which is FREE public parking that the store owners cannot reserve or sell. Looks like they made out on us that year for only two spots used.

    If you get there early enough you can have the best parking spot right on the road. But it doesn't have "in and out" privileges that most desire for an occasional cruise with your spot saved for when you get back. You also have to deal with more people waking in and out right up against your car.


    As far as traffic - 14 Mile Rd. is basically the middle of it all. If you are on Woodward driving North to 14 Mile Rd. or driving South to 14 Mile Rd. it will be much much slower than if you go to 14 Mile Road and drive either North or South from there.

    It is the world's largest intentional traffic jam after all! :-)
    Hey Shannon,

    You are correct with our first year at the MB location, with the food situation. That was "fixed" the next year (and since then) with a food stand at the MB location,
    which does not have "everything", but it does have hotdogs, brats, chili, snacks and drinks. They have also had a Cold Stone ice cream stand the past few years.

    The Bloomfield Hills Township deal (MB dealership) also allows for additional non-display parking passes, which has come in handy for local and out of town guests.

    The parking on the grass would have been fine if it did not rain as much as it did that day, but so many people were "looking for the DeLoreans" and not able to find
    them right on Woodward. In and Out was limited (for cruising and then parking) and once things got really wet after the rain, it did make matters even worse.

    I think we have both mentioned in the past that there needs to be a local "point person" that needs to do more leg work, to get things organized for Woodward, and
    this needs to be someone who can plan and organize the event for the DeLorean owners (or groups of owners) who are driving in from more than a few miles away.

    Thanks,
    Rich W.

  5. #15
    Senior Member aotmfilms's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Location:  Macomb MI #DOCBRWN

    Posts:    300

    My VIN:    5778

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Hey Shannon,

    You are correct with our first year at the MB location, with the food situation. That was "fixed" the next year (and since then) with a food stand at the MB location,
    which does not have "everything", but it does have hotdogs, brats, chili, snacks and drinks. They have also had a Cold Stone ice cream stand the past few years.

    The Bloomfield Hills Township deal (MB dealership) also allows for additional non-display parking passes, which has come in handy for local and out of town guests.

    The parking on the grass would have been fine if it did not rain as much as it did that day, but so many people were "looking for the DeLoreans" and not able to find
    them right on Woodward. In and Out was limited (for cruising and then parking) and once things got really wet after the rain, it did make matters even worse.

    I think we have both mentioned in the past that there needs to be a local "point person" that needs to do more leg work, to get things organized for Woodward, and
    this needs to be someone who can plan and organize the event for the DeLorean owners (or groups of owners) who are driving in from more than a few miles away.

    Thanks,
    Rich W.
    Well Inquiry to MB sent carshow@bloomfiledtwp.org from work. I will follow up in the a.m. with a phone call. I am looking at 10 spots and see the range of what I can get. I will see if I can get out there tomorrow or Thursday. I usually hang in Ferndale. I have been by there but unless you've done a show....

    $50 is pricey though. No wonder I didn't go in that area. Ferndale practically begs people to come down there...

    Its short notice but if you don't ask them (Bloomfield/MB) you don't know.

    More to follow.
    --Doug
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 08-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

    "Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

  6. #16
    Custom DeLorean Builder Rich W's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Chicagoland area

    Posts:    1,593

    My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    Well Inquiry to MB sent carshow@bloomfiledtwp.org from work. I will follow up in the a.m. with a phone call. I am looking at 10 spots and see the range of what I can get. I will see if I can get out there tomorrow or Thursday. I usually hang in Ferndale. I have been by there but unless you've done a show....

    $50 is pricey though. No wonder I didn't go in that area. Ferndale practically begs people to come down there...

    Its short notice but if you don't ask them (Bloomfield/MB) you don't know.

    More to follow.
    --Doug
    A few things to note (some mentioned in earlier posts):

    - past space requests placed in Spring (sell outs occur as early as late June)
    - on-site spaces available on Saturday only if pre-paid spaces do not sell out
    - in the past, you cannot reserve specific spaces (parking based on arrival)
    - in the past, only 1/2 of pre-paid group spaces will park "on Woodward",
    with the other 1/2 parking in the second row, still visible from Woodward
    - individual "lead" organizers change every year or every two years, so it
    is best to handle any group requests by phone rather than by email

  7. #17
    Senior Member aotmfilms's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Location:  Macomb MI #DOCBRWN

    Posts:    300

    My VIN:    5778

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Rich, Thank you for that information. I will update you all on this.

    Have to call once I get out of this loooong meeting.

    Given the short suspense, I will go as see about other places as back up.

    Do you know your headcount? Is your club flexible on location? Where is your hotel rooms at/where do you stay?
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

    "Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

  8. #18
    Senior Member aotmfilms's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Location:  Macomb MI #DOCBRWN

    Posts:    300

    My VIN:    5778

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Contacted my contact at the Ferndale Downtown Development Authority as well. See if they have a business there that would want to take 15 DeLoreans. I have used my D for Promos for them before. Problem is we would be south of I-696 though. Around 9 mile. Your thoughts?
    http://www.downtownferndale.com
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

    "Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

  9. #19
    Custom DeLorean Builder Rich W's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Chicagoland area

    Posts:    1,593

    My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    Rich, Thank you for that information. I will update you all on this.

    Have to call once I get out of this loooong meeting.

    Given the short suspense, I will go as see about other places as back up.

    Do you know your headcount? Is your club flexible on location? Where is your hotel rooms at/where do you stay?
    As I mentioned in my initial post for WDC 2016, Tony Swann and I have been "out of the loop" this year (due to DCS 2016),
    so I have no information on any numbers of cars from any of the DMC clubs, where they may park and where they may stay.

    In the past decade, we have stayed at a variety of hotels (and even stayed with King POG, Jeff Synor at his lake house twice),
    but a few of the hotels we have used include the Met Troy (now closed), the Somerset Inn and the Detroit Marriott Troy.
    We have used the last two most recently, since they are located on Big Beaver Rd and a very quick route to the MB location,
    which is located just South of Big Beaver Rd on Woodward Ave. Somerset Inn also had a Car Wash station for Woodward cars.

    There were several other places we have looked into recently, but we usually have a hard time trying to reserve a lot of spaces
    for our whole group to park together and still have in/out capability for cruising (and not loosing our spaces while we cruise).

  10. #20
    Custom DeLorean Builder Rich W's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Chicagoland area

    Posts:    1,593

    My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    Contacted my contact at the Ferndale Downtown Development Authority as well. See if they have a business there that would want to take 15 DeLoreans. I have used my D for Promos for them before. Problem is we would be south of I-696 though. Around 9 mile. Your thoughts?
    http://www.downtownferndale.com
    Since it's almost a 300 mile drive from the Chicago area, I do not think there will be many (or any) last minute attendees
    going from this area to WDC 2016, since our club will drive either Thursday or Friday, so they can be 'awake' on Saturday
    to be able to sit in traffic (on purpose) on Woodward. A few of us have done the trip starting at 1am on Saturday morning
    and arrive on Woodward just in time for breakfast, but that makes for a really long day (not recommended).

    Some of the local owners have mentioned they would like to find a new parking area that has more shaded areas, either
    for the cars or at least for the owners to sit in the shade, to watch the cruisers go by. Not sure about "shaded" availability,
    but the MB location offers a decent shaded area for owners to sit, up until about mid-afternoon, then direct sun until sunset.
    We have had sun and hot weather more often than not, on the third Saturday of August, for the past decade or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •