FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fan capacitors

My VIN:    03572

Cooling fan capacitors

I have a customer having problems with my Fan fail. It sounds like an electrical noise issue. So I was going to disconnect the two stock 2.2 uf capacitors on my D that are stock and see if I can see the same problem. But I can't find those capacitors. Anyone know where they are located?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6585

99% certain they're in the wiring harness themselves. You should be able to just follow the wires back from the Fans on the Frame Harness, and you'll find them.

You can see them on the left side of this picture:

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It depends on the harness.

Early harnesses never had those capacitors.

Later ones did and they were located right before the plug (harness side) going to the fan motor.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you when the change happened but you are able to tell whether you have them or not by how many wires are coming out of the harness side fan connector. If you've got 2 black wires on one side and a yellow wire & green wire crimped on the other, you have them. If you have 1 black and 1 green per connector, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have a customer having problems with my Fan fail. It sounds like an electrical noise issue. So I was going to disconnect the two stock 2.2 uf capacitors on my D that are stock and see if I can see the same problem. But I can't find those capacitors. Anyone know where they are located?
    Last edited by dn010; 08-04-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    -----Dan B.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    They are usually pretty simple to remove. They are an extension of the harness, i.e. unplug both ends and connect the fan to the harness. Not consistent across all production though.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post

Early harnesses never had those capacitors.

Later ones did and they were located right before the plug (harness side) going to the fan motor.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you when the change happened but you are able to tell whether you have them or not by how many wires are coming out of the harness side fan connector. If you've got 2 black wires on one side and a yellow wire & green wire crimped on the other, you have them. If you have 1 black and 1 green per connector, you don't.
    Mine were about a foot back from the fan connectors. I could not see them because I have the rubber fan shroud hiding the harness at the center location. I removed them and unwrapped the harness to do that. One read 2.2 uf the other 2.0 uf. I don't think I will put them back in but it's a good excuse to install new socket pins in the harness side.

I tested that fan fail unit the customer returned without the capacitors and saw no problems running without the capacitors.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

the caps were only to absorb excess power draw from the stock fans (basically a noise filter), correct?

so pretty much not needed at all if the customer is running upgraded low power draw fans, yes?

My VIN:    5564

My relay proble

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Mine were about a foot back from the fan connectors. I could not see them because I have the rubber fan shroud hiding the harness at the center location. I removed them and unwrapped the harness to do that. One read 2.2 uf the other 2.0 uf. I don't think I will put them back in but it's a good excuse to install new socket pins in the harness side.

I tested that fan fail unit the customer returned without the capacitors and saw no problems running without the capacitors.
    Hey Dave,
    I have the capacitors near my fans like your car. Could be noise in my car like you said. My DPI fans look great I just want to get rid of that damn stock fan fail relay. Hope we can get to the bottom of this. thanks
    Jason S

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

How did you connect your fans to your harness?

If you received the same setup I did from DPI, it came with butt splice connectors. I threw those in the garbage and crimped on a 2-pin weatherpack. That connection sees a lot of moisture / rain and corrodes so I did not want to splice the original connector on and did not want to use the supplied butt splice connectors.

Maybe you just have a bad or loose connection from harness/fan?

Quote Originally Posted by gullwinger View Post
    Hey Dave,
    I have the capacitors near my fans like your car. Could be noise in my car like you said. My DPI fans look great I just want to get rid of that damn stock fan fail relay. Hope we can get to the bottom of this. thanks
    Jason S
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    the caps were only to absorb excess power draw from the stock fans (basically a noise filter), correct?

so pretty much not needed at all if the customer is running upgraded low power draw fans, yes?
    It's normal to use a capacitor and or diode on electric motors to reduce electrical noise. I try to design without needing those filters so I'm going to leave them out. I did put a diode on my AC compressor clutch to kill a noise problem with my battery relay.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5564

DPI Fans

I used solder and a heat shrink wrap on the wires. No problems with jumpers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast