FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the real change interval of the manual transmission fluid?

My VIN:    2848

What is the real change interval of the manual transmission fluid?

I've seen owners say they change the transmission fluid every year, every two years, etc. I'm going on 5 years with my fluid with no problems. What is the REAL change interval for a car that gets maybe 2000-3000 miles tops a year?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Damn, I just read one of Dave's posts about this. I remember it was way short of the factory intervals of 30k. I think he recommended every other oil change or once a year...whichever came first. That's just my memory though so don'tput a lot of stock in that.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Damn, I just read one of Dave's posts about this. I remember it was way short of the factory intervals of 30k. I think he recommended every other oil change or once a year...whichever came first. That's just my memory though so don'tput a lot of stock in that.
    I've seen stuff like that written but that seems like crazy over kill for manual transmission fluid. What is happening inside the transmission that is making gear oil go bad in a year?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Yeah that seems ridiculous. Especially for guys running $20 per liter fluid.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    05141

Every other year for me.
    I drive about 2000 to 3000 miles per year.
    I used to have to push hard to get her into first gear when cold; Since I change the oil every other year that problem is gone.
    The oil looses quality every time it heats up and this transmission can get pretty hot.
    I think it is cheaper to maintain it well.

Jan

Steering with power

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Ooops...I didnt read close enough. I was referring to automatics.

And I am thinking it's overkill too. I did a 30k service minus the valve adjustment when I first got my car (which only had 1,700 miles on the new engine..but almost 3 years elapsed time) I just recently did another transmission service at 15k miles and approx 3 years elapsed time. For me it's a bit overkill to do it often but like I said in my first post, I'm not sure I'm quoting Dave 100% on that.

Edit. Found his quote. Remember he is referring to automatics here:
    My personal belief, is that the ATF should he changed with every other engine oil change, and the diff changed every 30K miles or 10 years. For most DeLorean owners that means the ATF every 2 years and the rear oil every 10.*

FWIW factory recommends all fluids at 30K.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-24-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Ooops...I didnt read close enough. I was referring to automatics.

And I am thinking it's overkill too. I did a 30k service minus the valve adjustment when I first got my car (which only had 1,700 miles on the new engine..but almost 3 years elapsed time) I just recently did another transmission service at 15k miles and approx 3 years elapsed time. For me it's a bit overkill to do it often but like I said in my first post, I'm not sure I'm quoting Dave 100% on that.

Edit. Found his quote. Remember he is referring to automatics here:
    Frequent oil changes in the manual transmission IS overkill. The frequency is usually driven by the # of miles accumulated. The oil doesn't wear out so much as it accumulates particle load from wear, principally from the syncros and the crown wheel. It is non-ferrous so it doesn't pose any danger to the ferrous parts. The problem is if you do it on the basis of mileage and you drive 1K a year you don't have to change it for 30 years! So now we should be changing on the basis of time. Every 10 years seems about right but you must keep good records for that length of time so you know the last time it has been changed.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4870

I know Ive read this somewhere but whats the general concesus for manual trans fluid? Brand, weight, any info would be great. Thanks guys and gals.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I use 80w-90 gearbox oil. Nothing special.

My VIN:    16795

In case it's useful, here is what came out of my transmission after about a year and a half and 8000 miles. Next to it is some unused oil from one of the bottles I used to fill the transmission originally.

IMG_20140424_203353.jpg

I don't change the transmission oil this often. I was attempting to top it off because I have a leak in the drivers side flange seal (even though I replaced the seal a year and a half ago) that I haven't had time to fix yet, and that's what came out of the fill hole when I opened it. I guess I somehow managed to overfill the transmission bit when I first filled it (not sure how) and overestimated the amount that's been leaking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast