FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens when the dealer can't fix your car?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Unhappy What happens when the dealer can't fix your car?

I am calling upon the community's collective wisdom to try to find a solution to my current dilemma.

A few years ago I bought a used 2006 turbo Chrysler PT Cruiser. I also bought a service contract through the reseller (CarMax) which covers repairs up to 125,000 miles. The current mileage is 106,000. On July 23, the car suddenly lost momentum on the expressway. I coasted to the shoulder as the malfunction indicator light illuminated and remained illuminated. I could press the accelerator in any gear, but it behaved as if in Neutral. I had it towed to the only Chrysler dealership in my area. They told me that the transmission control module is defective and needs to be replaced. They also told me that it's a part that is no longer manufactured and no dealership in the area has any in stock. They ran "a trace" to try to find a remanufactured computer at any dealer in the country and found none. Now I'm told they're running a second trace.

It looks as if the Chrysler dealership cannot repair a Chrysler vehicle. What can I do? I have a few payments left on the vehicle and thousands of miles left on the service contract. My wife suggests I convince the dealership that if they can't repair the vehicle, they should buy it from me, or use the value of the vehicle toward a new lease. (I am done buying cars - only leasing from now on.)

I've never even heard of such a situation before, where the dealership can't repair its own brand. What are my options? Thanks in advance.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I find it hard to believe they can't source a part. I can still get most parts for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee from the dealership, even though I don't. Usually the items dealers phase out first are cosmetic and trim. A transmission control module doesn't seem likely. Get the exact part number and start googling. They will only look so hard, so perhaps a better deal is seeing if they can reimburse and install a part you personally source.

When I needed a new Abs module, eBay was perfect because you have buyer protection - the part HAS to work or you get your money back.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That's unbelievable that a part on a 10 year old car is unobtainable, particularly a main drivetrain part that was no doubt used on a variety of Chrysler and Dodge products.

Have you tried third party parts vendors like parts.com

As noted above, get the part number and Google.

Parts.com have the whole transaxle if you can't get just the controller.

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...-GAS-OEM-Parts
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Have you tried the PT Cruiser/Mopar/Chrysler forums?

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone mentioned a parts yard that specialized in PT Cruisers. If you can find them, they probably have your part.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    Between VINs

Google "Steve Lehto" and send him the story you told us. He's licensed in Michigan but will be able to point you in the right direction to find out your legal remedy.

My VIN:    6125

Here's one for 50 bucks in nashville.

I searched using car-part.com

The site allows you to look up inventory from hundreds of auto salvage yards across the country.

Dealerships often have their hands tied with where they can procure parts from...has to be an approved source from the OEM. In my experience independent shops have better success at finding good used parts since they're not trying to sell you brand new genuine parts at crazy mark up like the stealership is.

And jeez man, why on earth are you driving a PT cruiser in the first place?
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-05-2016 at 12:19 AM.

My VIN:    4941

Isnt there a law that vehicle manufacturers provide parts for a min of 8 years? ( or something like that)?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You did your part -- Hand the problem (back) to CarMax.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, everyone! The DeLorean community is awesome.

Before I take the car (or have it towed) back to CarMax, I decided to contact FCA (Fiat-Chrysler of America) Customer Assistance. The representative I got said that he will contact the dealer on my behalf to get this resolved. That's vague, but it's all I got. I'll keep you updated.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Here's one for 50 bucks in nashville. I searched using car-part.com
    I'll second that. I've found insane deals on there before. The best being a full rear suspension including trailing arms and hub carriers for the DMC-12 for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Google "Steve Lehto" and send him the story you told us. He's licensed in Michigan but will be able to point you in the right direction to find out your legal remedy.
    I don't know that Lehto can help, as I think he's once stated that Louisiana laws are really different, but *maybe* he might have a referral. If nothing else, he might take an interest in the case enough to make a podcast out of it. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    It looks as if the Chrysler dealership cannot repair a Chrysler vehicle. What can I do? I have a few payments left on the vehicle and thousands of miles left on the service contract. My wife suggests I convince the dealership that if they can't repair the vehicle, they should buy it from me, or use the value of the vehicle toward a new lease. (I am done buying cars - only leasing from now on.)
    The dealership wouldn't be under any obligation to buy the vehicle back from you. FCA probably isn't either, and if they were it would probably cost you more in legal fees than just paying the damn thing off. Lemon law would be tricky in this case, but *technically* if it is impossible for the dealer to repair your vehicle at all, maybe you have something. But only an attorney could tell you for certain. But it's going to be like totaling the car: They're going to discount for the mileage so maybe you only break even.

Now I can't say for certain, but this is what I think is going on: Guy (you) comes in with a busted GT Cruiser (that's the turbo model you have) and has transmission problems. Based upon the type of car and it's age & mileage, you're made a mark for a new car purchase/lease. So they're going to bullshit you tell you all about how this car can't be fixed. They they're going to go through this whole song and dance about how they're trying to track down a part. In the mean time the delay continues to build anxiety in you to loose confidence in this vehicle, as well as it can create a nice financial hardship to further put pressure on you to make you vulnerable.

You now have no confidence in this car. Hell, you're scared of it. Even according to your own words, you're so terrified that you're hoping they could take this vehicle in and give you "...the value of the vehicle toward a new lease." which thanks to this repair, you probably don't think is very much at all.

What they're hoping is going to happen next is you blindly rush into another vehicle purchase/lease from them. They make a nice commission on the sale, and you feel as though you were "lucky" enough to unload that "junk" car. When in truth they're going to seriously screw you on the trade-in using this ploy about how the car cannot be fixed. They're going to patch your old car up to run again and will send it to off to auction where it gets sold to some "Buy Here, Pay Here" dealership where someone else is going to drive it like nothing happened. And the idea is that you'll never know how bad the dealership screwed you. Hell, you'll actually be thanking them for "saving" you from that old car!

Here's my advice for you:
    1. If you have an extended warranty, you need to do the footwork and call the warranty company. They can have the influence we consumers do not to get this repair taken care of.
    2. Never buy a 3rd party service plan. ONLY purchase extended plans directly from the manufacturer. Demand it from the sales staff, or contact the manufacturer directly, who will be more than happy to sell you a factory-authorized plan.
    3. Unless it's a Jeep Wrangler, never EVER buy a Chrysler product! No matter who the manufacturer, some cars just slip through the cracks, and even I'm a very forgiving owner to assume the best of intentions. But save for an old Dakota I owned, I've had nothing but trouble with their products.
    4. Unless you're expressly trying to get a car which is out of your price range so you can show-off to the neighbors, OR you're running a fleet, never lease a vehicle! It's financially a bad investment. Just buy a car you're going to be happy with for the next 10 years to get your full money out of it.

You own a DeLorean. A car which sold in far fewer numbers and was already orphaned almost 35 years ago. You can keep that going yourself using hand tools in your garage. Do you honestly think that a true professional can't get this GT Cruiser going?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast