FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens when the dealer can't fix your car?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Its nice to see Chrysler was humbled by the bailout.

Not.

My guess is they're calling your bluff and hoping you and your car will disappear, although I don't know how they figure that would happen. Mind you, they don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this BS. Bad customer service is infuriating. If you think customer service in the US is bad, you should experience Canada some time. It would blow your mind. I spend a lot of time in Washington state and Arizona and I've travelled though most of the other eastern and western states. I have yet to experience customer service as bad as we have here at home. At Canadian Tire, which is ranked the WORST store in Canada for customer experience, the employees (if you're lucky enough to find one) literally turn around and walk the other way so they don't have to help you. They're chronically out of stock, understaffed, unfriendly and unqualified. Thats just one company. I could tell you stories about three different Chrysler dealerships up here too. The problem is Canadians don't hold feet to the fire the same way americans do. We just bend over and take it. One till open and 15 people in line? We just stew quietly while 3 staffers hangout at customer service while 4 other tills remain closed.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    My guess is they're calling your bluff and hoping you and your car will disappear, although I don't know how they figure that would happen.
    Bingo!

They really don't care. Like I said before, it was all to just scare Farrar into buying a new car. They wouldn't pull this routine on people if it didn't work.

The worst part is where this is now. There is absolutely no motivation for the dealer to try and fix this car. If this was a trade-in, they'd want it repaired so they could send it out to auction ASAP to get their money back. But a repeat repair? They're loosing money. And depending upon how vindictive they are about being bothered by FCA, they may even just drag the repair out on purpose. Even FCA might not have any motivation here to help either. Lots of paperwork to fill out, and on top of that they're not going to make any money off of this either. It's not like Farrar is loyal to Chrysler any more, so that's a future sale gone, and thus no incentive exists on the company's part.

I'm busy right now with paperwork for school, and other articles for DeLorean World right now, otherwise I'd hit you up for the information and post it over on Oppo. But do you have any pictures to go with your story?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Canadians don't hold feet to the fire the same way americans do. We just bend over and take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    do you have any pictures to go with your story?
    No. Because apparently I'm Canadian.

My wife keeps telling me "You're being too nice!" Yesterday I was very angry, but I still kept my cool. She says it's time for me to yell and scream and tell everyone that what they're doing is not good enough. Today may be that day: the case manager I talked with on Monday said she'd call me back with info about a rental or loaner car. Guess what. She forgot to check on a rental or loaner. What's more, it seems that even she - the case manager - has to go through this incompetent service department at Bergeron Auto. I told her if she can't give me a straight answer and actually DO something to HELP me, I'm going as far over her head as I possibly can when we speak today. So far all she's been able to tell me is "I'll look into the possibility of..." and I told her that's not good enough. If I wanted to look into possibilities, I'd use a Magic Eight Ball. I want something done - definitively. This case manager (my fourth, by the way) is supposed to call me back today. If she doesn't, I'll start spitting rivets.

Edit: I have also given the full version of my story to a local TV news channel's "on your side" investigative team. They don't do "consumer action" stuff like in the old days, but perhaps if they see enough complaints about this dealership's service department they'll actually investigate it from a "dirty business" standpoint.
    Last edited by Farrar; 08-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    My wife keeps telling me "You're being too nice!"
    I couldn't tell you whether or not that's true. Different people respond differently to stress, so you've got to know how to adapt to their needs in order to coach them along to get them to do what you want them to do. It all depends upon their desires. Sometimes you tap into what brings an individual pleasure such as people that want to genuinely do good. Those are the ones you appeal to by convincing them that helping you is going to satisfy their desire to do good. Sometimes to get what you want you've instead got to find a fear to exploit. Even then you've got to figure out what that fear is, for example: disappointing you or having negative attention drawn to themselves. Sometimes it's a mixture of all the above and you've got to know how to apply it all.

The problem now is looking like this is almost too far gone since there is no real reward left to offer. So the only thing you've got left is fear. So at this point what you need to do is become irritating. Bother them everyday, multiple times a day. Both the dealership as well as the case managers. And I do mean that in the plural sense to bother every single person you've been in contact with on this. Start getting their names, and looking them up online to find alternate phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Hell, even go onto LinkedIn to find connections to their coworkers and supervisors. Then start reaching out to those people for a resolution to this. Draw as much negative attention as possible to the caseworkers and dealership staff so that their peers also put pressure on them to get this fixed.

Or to put it in more simpler terms, they are in your debt, and you've got to become a bill collector to harass them into paying up. Make it clear that you've got something to trade: a repaired car & appropriate compensation in exchange for peace and quiet.

They're trying to wear you down so that you go away. So in return you've got to create enough friction to start a fire.

Edit: I have also given the full version of my story to a local TV news channel's "on your side" investigative team. They don't do "consumer action" stuff like in the old days, but perhaps if they see enough complaints about this dealership's service department they'll actually investigate it from a "dirty business" standpoint.
    Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't. The "consumer action" stuff is long gone because of the potential for lawsuits. There was even one of these consumer action shows in Vegas that was popular...until one of the businesses being investigated turned the tables. The state AG was trying to get the tire shop shut down, and then the business recorded conversations proving the investigative reporter responsible for the news segment was running a bit of a scam where she'd investigate local businesses based on viewer tips, and then construct both a scathing business report and then a public relations recovery portfolio through her boyfriend's PR firm. It's also not going to work out well if the dealership also is a big advertiser with the station.

The internet is really your best best nowadays. Get the story into the online community, and then let enraged netizens take over for you.
    Robert

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I talked with McLean Bergeron today. I had not intended to, but a friend of mine posted the link to my Google Plus note to the Bergeron Auto Facebook page. McLean Bergeron responded with his phone number. He seemed more annoyed than anything else, and he hadn't read all of my notes before we spoke. He told me that he sees that I am "trying to do some damage" to their reputation with my Google Plus post. I told him that on the contrary I had not made anything public until I considered it a last resort. I began taking notes just for my own information, because it's a lot of information to keep straight. I also told him that once this situation is resolved the post will be deleted. I told him that my family has been a Chrysler family since the 1950s, and the only reason I took my car to his service department in June was because they had done an excellent job with my car when I had major service done in 2015. He told me that there's nothing he can do about backordered parts. He told me that the people working in the service department are talented and hard-working, and that this is the busiest time of year for them. I told him that I had found both of those parts online at chryslerfactoryparts.com, which according to their website is "operated by Cherokee Chrysler LLC., an authorized Chrysler Group dealer."

I explained to McLean Bergeron that I understand that sometimes parts are not available, but that I have been getting different answers from different people. I suggested that he should read all of my notes before we talk again.

Later this afternoon, I got a phone call from the service advisor at Bergeron. He told me that he had heard from Mr. Bergeron that I had found my parts on chryslerfactoryparts.com, and that that website is in fact NOT operated by an authorized Chrysler Group dealer. (I guess their website lies.) He also told me that (even though my case manager had told me that Jim the service manager told her that my parts were on the way and may arrive as soon as tomorrow) his department gets their parts from Chrysler dealers, and no Chrysler dealer anywhere in the country has a PCM for my 2006 PT Cruiser. All he can do, he said, is continue to search and hope one turns up. I asked if they had tried re-programming the PCM they'd already installed in my car. He said that is impossible, that once installed "the PCM is married to that vehicle" and must be replaced if malfunctioning.

My wife heard this telephone conversation, and even though it was after office hours she called my case manager at Chrysler, who picked up the phone. My case manager cannot explain to us why a part which was due to arrive possibly as soon as tomorrow is suddenly unavailable everywhere. My case manager also cannot explain why she mentioned rental reimbursement on Monday, and then when I told her to stop saying it was possible and actually get it done, all it took was a brief hold to get authorization while she made a quick phone call. She also cannot explain why she originally told me I could get reimbursed for seven days, but why when she came back on the line she told me that the maximum was five days. I think that, through the terms of her employment, she is unable to give me a simple, straight answer to any of my questions. My case manager said that has "has heard" that Chrysler does not stock parts for cars ten years old or older. She cannot confirm or deny anything. I believe my case manager has no actual authority. My wife explained to my case manager that this was not helping. My case manager's supervisor will call us "within 24 hours."

I don't know why it is so difficult for us to get answers to the following questions:
    1. Is a PCM available?
    2. If one is not available, can one be remanufactured?
    3. If one can be remanufactured, what are the steps required to make sure it gets done efficiently and effectively?
    4. If a PCM is not available and cannot be remanufactured, is Chrysler effectively trying to force us to buy a new car?

These questions will be put to the next person who phones either me or my wife.

It has been a very long day.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

I'm busy right now with paperwork for school, and other articles for DeLorean World right now, otherwise I'd hit you up for the information and post it over on Oppo. But do you have any pictures to go with your story?

What is Oppo?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    What is Oppo?
    It's a sister website to Jalopnik
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Later this afternoon, I got a phone call from the service advisor at Bergeron. He told me that he had heard from Mr. Bergeron that I had found my parts on chryslerfactoryparts.com, and that that website is in fact NOT operated by an authorized Chrysler Group dealer. (I guess their website lies.)
    The "about us" page on factorychryslerparts.com (not chryslerfactoryparts.com) points to Shottenkirk Cherrokee Chrysler Dodge Ram, in Canton GA. The parts website phone number is 678-493-1029, while the main reception number at Shottenkirk is 678-493-1000. I would say that they are very much the same people

http://www.shottenkirkchrysler.com/

for fun, I requested a direct quote from them for the ecm (in case your name is flagged ). I'll let you know what they say (pm me an email address and I will forward any response to you Farrar)

EDIT - even though their fine print says "By submitting your contact information, you consent to be contacted by telephone about purchasing a vehicle or obtaining vehicle financing. Clicking on the Submit button above is your electronic signature". Just for buying a part for a Chrysler....... I think Robert is right.
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 08-26-2016 at 08:04 AM.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    It's a sister website to Jalopnik
    Can you link it, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Can you link it, please?
    http://oppositelock.kinja.com/

It can sometimes be a free-for-all with the humor and comedy posts, so posts can sometimes get lost. But quite a few items do get re-posted from there onto Jalopnik. My last post about the little girl who was surprised by her parents buying a DeLorean I published to Oppo got picked up by Jalopnik and I got credit for the tip.

Jalopnik and it's sub-sister sites like Oppositelock & The Garage are great for stories like this. Especially Steve Lehto's tales of being an Michigan Attorney at Law who specializes in "Lemon Laws". It might be worth it to link even just this thread over to one of Jalopnik's editors as a tip, and see if they want to pick the story up.

Also, here is some shameless self-promotion:

https://kinja.com/DMCVegas
    Robert

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast