FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Engine Mount

My VIN:    2729

Cracked Engine Mount

I picked up my engine today after being given the run around by a machine shop for three months and discovered this:
    20160805_105556.jpg20160805_111119.jpg
    Should I get it welded?

My VIN:    4870

If the engine is not in the car I would just replace both mounts and be done with it. The rubber cant be in great shape and I dont think they are super expensive.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    If the engine is not in the car I would just replace both mounts and be done with it. The rubber cant be in great shape and I dont think they are super expensive.
    Pictures show the lower crankcase mounting ears. But I do agree on the rubber frame mounts, unless new I'd change them now as well.

I would have it welded and be done with it. It will never be easier or cheaper! It sucks now but imagine trying to have it done after the engine is installed.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Or if you don't weld it you risk the crack growing larger/traveling further. There used to be a lower crankcase on eBay with one side mount cracked off. Don't end up like that guy!
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

welding isnt necessarily the answer. Even a very skilled welder will have trouble welding 35 year old cast aluminum that has been soaking in oil for many years.

I would replace the lower crankcase. Big job but you dont want those mounting ears failing.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Where are you located? I know an aluminum welder in the DC area who did some test welding on an old PRV engine head (B27 -- even older than a DeLorean) no problem.

He uses a pretty strong acid flux to clean the aluminum first.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    2729

My bad I thought the mounting ears were called engine mounts. I actually do have new rubber engine mounts as well, thats the job I was doing before I noticed the crack. I'm located in North Carolina, so a pretty long drive to the DC area.

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Pictures show the lower crankcase mounting ears. But I do agree on the rubber frame mounts, unless new I'd change them now as well.

I would have it welded and be done with it. It will never be easier or cheaper! It sucks now but imagine trying to have it done after the engine is installed.
    Wow, that is my bad.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

Where are you located?

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    welding isnt necessarily the answer. Even a very skilled welder will have trouble welding 35 year old cast aluminum that has been soaking in oil for many years.
    If ever there was a time to get some references and pick the best place for the job it's now. Maybe scout a place that frequently does higher-end work, like aircraft or oil/gas industry?

I have a place near me that I would trust and they're only $50/hr. It may not actually be all that expensive said and done, even for competent work.

Wow, that is my bad.
    Nah, those rubber mounts are go bad frequently (I'm about to change my own) so that was a natural conclusion to jump to
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast