FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What is the nut size for the front speaker stud set?

Question What is the nut size for the front speaker stud set?

I'm wondering what the thread pitch and stud diameter are for the front speaker mounts? For some reason my car doesn't have speakers in the front and I see that there are 3.5" mounts up under the dash. So while I have it apart I figure I may as well add some speakers. Unfortunately, my studs don't have anything on them and I can't easily measure them...

Thanks,
    -Greg

My VIN:    #4595

I recently upgraded my speakers and needed some longer nuts for ease of installation. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which of the studs from this package worked, but this package has helped a couple of times when nuts were lost for other things. This kit is a good resource to have around in general and will definitely have a nut that will work for you:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps.

Also just found this post that I'd used when I was trying to figure out what to order from Amazon: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?81...ment-made-easy -- Look's like they are M4 so you may be able to find them in a smaller kit somewhere if you don't need the extra options laying around for future use.
    Last edited by bueller; 08-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bueller View Post
    I recently upgraded my speakers and needed some longer nuts for ease of installation. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which of the studs from this package worked, but this package has helped a couple of times when nuts were lost for other things. This kit is a good resource to have around in general and will definitely have a nut that will work for you:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps.

Also just found this post that I'd used when I was trying to figure out what to order from Amazon: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?81...ment-made-easy -- Look's like they are M4 so you may be able to find them in a smaller kit somewhere if you don't need the extra options laying around for future use.
    Cool, that looks like a nice set. I just figured it out. The nuts that hold the binnacle in are M4 and they thread onto those studs so that's what I need to go get. It looks like they're in the kit you shared.

Thanks for the help!
    -Greg

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You should be able to get M4 standoffs without buying a whole kit like that though. Seems kind of pricy for 4 nuts. Just sayin'
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You should be able to get M4 standoffs without buying a whole kit like that though. Seems kind of pricy for 4 nuts. Just sayin'
    Agreed. I used something like these for installing Kicker speakers:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...I4gEwAA&adurl=

I have pics in my interior restoration album if you want more info.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

Dana,

Did you need to space your speakers down for clearance reasons, or did you just prefer the male/female extension version for better nut installation versus a Female/female (long nut)?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Dana,

Did you need to space your speakers down for clearance reasons, or did you just prefer the male/female extension version for better nut installation versus a Female/female (long nut)?
    Hi Dennis,

It was both reasons.

For my speaker install, I wanted to avoid bending the speaker brackets, and install the speakers flush to the dashboard while avoiding tweeter protrusion. Plus, I wanted to reuse the m4 nyloc nut.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

Good call Dana! I definitely need to get these but I'd like to find some in town so I don't have to wait 2+ weeks. I wonder if I can find them at Thriftway/Ace Hardware or Fastenal...

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Good call Dana! I definitely need to get these but I'd like to find some in town so I don't have to wait 2+ weeks. I wonder if I can find them at Thriftway/Ace Hardware or Fastenal...
    Not likely since they are metric. I've seen a tiny assortment (hillman) at my local True value but they were SAE. You might try Radio Shack if you have one near you. This stuff is typically used in mounting PCB's.
    DENNIS

Not likely since they are metric. I've seen a tiny assortment (hillman) at my local True value but they were SAE. You might try Radio Shack if you have one near you. This stuff is typically used in mounting PCB's.
    Hah, yeah after I saw Dana's post I ran into my office and grabbed my brass motherboard standoffs but sadly they don't work. I can get them from McMaster Carr for a premium but they'll be here in 3-7 days. Hmm...