FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Spec 1 Cat Back Exhaust vs Spec Exhaust 1 ?

My VIN:    00860

Spec 1 Cat Back Exhaust vs Spec Exhaust 1 ?

I want to swap out my stock exhaust for one of these options. Would love to know opinions and pros and cons between the two. Obviously I like the cat back due to cost... Thanks! image.jpgimage.jpg

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

First question to ask yourself is why do you want to do either one? It is rather common for DeLoreans to have exhaust manifold gasket leaks. If so, go with the headers for sure. If not, perhaps cat back system right now and upgrade later when you have to remove stock manifolds. Great option either way. I've had two of the DPI exhausts and love them!

Awesome thanks for the input. I would like to eventually do the stage II upgrade. So perhaps cat back is the way to go until I'm able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    First question to ask yourself is why do you want to do either one? It is rather common for DeLoreans to have exhaust manifold gasket leaks. If so, go with the headers for sure. If not, perhaps cat back system right now and upgrade later when you have to remove stock manifolds. Great option either way. I've had two of the DPI exhausts and love them!
    Exhaust manifolds are shot... The decision now is Spec 1 From DPI or Stage one from DMC... What are the opinions out there?

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

DPI for sure. I've had both systems and driven thousands of miles on both. I sold the car that had the Stage setup. I never really cared for the sound or the look of that exhaust for that matter. Plus the dpi spec system is upgradable in the future. I'm in process of twin turbo upgrades currently.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Correct: While you still owned the car with the Houston system is was swapped out prior to the consignment sale. Technically you have had a SPEC I product on three out of four of your cars to date. Your early vin will be the exception.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DKDMC View Post
    Exhaust manifolds are shot... The decision now is Spec 1 From DPI or Stage one from DMC... What are the opinions out there?
    Not trying to un-sell an exhaust system, but what is wrong with the manifolds? We've removed literally dozens of them, and can only think of maybe one or two that were so far gone that they could not be machined flat again. You can remove quite a bit of material to get rid of the burned area without compromising the manifold.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

That is true Dave. A great lead in for our cat back exhaust system option for owners who are interested in saving the stock manifolds and cross over pipe configuration.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Not trying to un-sell an exhaust system, but what is wrong with the manifolds? We've removed literally dozens of them, and can only think of maybe one or two that were so far gone that they could not be machined flat again. You can remove quite a bit of material to get rid of the burned area without compromising the manifold.
    Thank you guys! The info is invaluable! I have been wanting a whole new exhaust system and now since the manifolds and gaskets have to be addressed, I figure I might as well go for it and install the new system at this point. I just want to make the best choice possible.

I sure have a laundry list of things to do to my D but I'm up for it.

I love this car. Love it. I can't believe I finally have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    DPI for sure. I've had both systems and driven thousands of miles on both. I sold the car that had the Stage setup. I never really cared for the sound or the look of that exhaust for that matter. Plus the dpi spec system is upgradable in the future. I'm in process of twin turbo upgrades currently.
    That is awesome. Thanks. I'm leaning towards DPI at this point.