FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Home garage design fun: what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    What about sinkholes?
    I haven't heard of any near to this house but they can happen anywhere down here. Nothing you can do but avoid known ones and areas, afaik..

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Curious what are the other rooms on
    garage level? Can walls be knocked out
    for more room?
    the one between the blue and the green area on the layout drawing could be removed, adding almost 12 feet (albeit in a weird direction. If you enter at 6 oclock, the wall is at 1oclock and extends that direction)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    OR. you install a pit. Much easier
    It's only a couple feet above sea level so no pit unless i do the first ever (?) floating delorean..

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    OR. you install a pit. Much easier
    Very dangerous, against most codes, and a pain in the ass to really use it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Keep in mind what would be the best value for the house and other potential buyers if you were to sell it. Make no expensive, hard to undo alterations. Too much garage and not enough other kind of living space is no good, you must have balance. At a minimum you should have space for 2 cars and a workbench. Preferably a utility sink too. What do other houses in the neighborhood have? Also keep in mind how any changes could affect your property taxes. Also consider if and how you will heat or cool the space. In most places you cannot use the heating and A/C system from the rest of the house if it is forced air. Sounds like you will not be able to install a lift. Remember to give the Mrs her own dedicated spot. Check the floor to be sure it can support what you intend to do. In most areas the garage is supposed to be fire-rated meaning 1/2 hour to 1 hour rating sheet rock wall with a self-closing door that is also rated. GFI 20A outlets and a 30A 220 volt line for a welder. Hang a fire extinguisher near a door.
    It has it's own central heat and air unit. Support pole had the 30-a 220v.

The Mr (no "s") does want his dedicated spot, actually he wants 4 spots, which is why I'm looking at what is the best use of the space. The weird shape makes it tricky.

You're right about a sink. Maybe down the road, i hate to give up space though..

I appreciate your comments on resale values, but whoever else would buy this after me would be looking for garage or workshop space (or storage space) so bringing in a lift etc, should be fine. Since it is not insurable living space, it would be worse to renovate it into living space as far as ROI, I believe...

My VIN:    5625

Though a lift would be a must for me, or at least the high ceiling so that I could put one in. I wish wish wish I had a lift for my D!!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Well, the obvious answer to a lift is to create an opening in the garage ceiling, below say the living room above; enclose it in glass, and install a lift below it. Then when you are working with the lift, the car raises into the livingroom glass case as a display object.

You could also just rotate your cars round, parking one on the lift/display case every week, as conversation pieces :

Well, you said you wanted ideas.........
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Well, the obvious answer to a lift is to create an opening in the garage ceiling, below say the living room above; enclose it in glass, and install a lift below it. Then when you are working with the lift, the car raises into the livingroom glass case as a display object.
    This^ Brilliant!

Out of curiosity, how is the driveway/outside space? Hopefully it's as plentiful as well. Not necessarily for the DeLorean but for other cars perhaps, and especially for (the ever so fun sport of) car juggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This^ Brilliant!

Out of curiosity, how is the driveway/outside space? Hopefully it's as plentiful as well. Not necessarily for the DeLorean but for other cars perhaps, and especially for (the ever so fun sport of) car juggling.
    Good amount of driveway space but hoa says 3 max unless i put up a fence...
    Meanwhile i just got a quote for flood insurance: $12k. Wth, i can't even see water..

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 16949 View Post
    Good amount of driveway space but hoa says 3 max unless i put up a fence...
    Meanwhile i just got a quote for flood insurance: $12k. Wth, i can't even see water..

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

You mentioned it is a stilted house and the space is uninsurable. I am guessing but does the area flood? That may be why the house is stilted. If the area does flood you should make sure everything is kept high or moveable. Other things to consider for a garage include compressed air and wall art. Maybe a counter with stools. A utility sink is a very useful thing to have. Central Vac. Forget making a pit. Definitely you will need skates for extra cars.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast