FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: This guy claims his car was used in BTTF

My VIN:    6125

Found a few photos of the props in his "screen used car".

I really like to give people the benefit of the doubt but this guy clearly has no idea what he's talking about. It makes me wonder if people just wake up one day and decide to start lying about their car (or parts in their car), or if they have some legitimate reason to believe their car/parts are screen used. The guy is obviously misinformed about the history of his car, but why?

If I'm remembering correctly, a while back Universal auctioned off a stock DeLorean... it was not associated with the movies in any way, but it was a Universal owned car. I can't seem to find any old threads on it. I wonder if this guy bought it thinking it was screen used?

Or he knows it's not screen used but it has some paperwork with "Universal Studios" on it so he exaggerates the real story.

Looks like this isn't the first time he's made the "screen used" claim:

My VIN:    6214

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Everything I've read says that the car used for interior shots (the "C car") was only dressed up on the inside and was actually cut into sections so that they get the cameras in closer. If true, there's no way this guy's car was used for any interior scenes. I mean how would you drive around a DeLorean that's been cut into pieces? If you scroll towards the bottom of the page in this link, you'll see a picture of the C car. I suppose it's possible he has some of the props, but the article says most supposedly went to Universal Japan and were put on a replica.

http://www.bttf3delorean.com/Where_are_they.html

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Nobody's thought to ask him for the VIN to authenticate?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I contacted him on Facebook for more info, waiting on a response.

Quote Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
    Everything I've read says that the car used for interior shots (the "C car") was only dressed up on the inside and was actually cut into sections so that they get the cameras in closer. If true, there's no way this guy's car was used for any interior scenes. I mean how would you drive around a DeLorean that's been cut into pieces? If you scroll towards the bottom of the page in this link, you'll see a picture of the C car. I suppose it's possible he has some of the props, but the article says most supposedly went to Universal Japan and were put on a replica.

http://www.bttf3delorean.com/Where_are_they.html
    You're correct, there is no way this is the C car. For one, the C car was an automatic. More importantly the car was literally cut up into pieces. None of the props in his photos are even close to matching the C car either (at any of the various stages of it's life)

Also, this video confirms his time circuits were made by Bruce Coulombe. Note the same ridiculously incorrect buttons from the keypad in the video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8Z8ui4h28

But he paid 6 figures for his car

Again, I think the guy is nice enough, but he really went after me in that thread. I simply pointed out the 3 existing cars, and his wasn't one of them. And that I'm not some troll who doesn't know what he's talking about. I was certainly open to the idea he had original parts, of some sort, that he put in his car. I'm now thinking he's somehow made a lot of this up. I'd love to see his documentation on this. Was hoping someone else was going to chime in on that convo and set the record straight as well. He's certainly got a few people in that convo convinced his is screen used. Which is certainly not how he should be promoting his car in any way. Furthermore, if it WAS screen used..... who in their right mind would tear all the stuff out of it and restore the car?? It would be worth WAY MORE as a screen used delorean from the movie, which I tried pointing out, but what do I know.... I'm just a Troll

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, a while back Universal auctioned off a stock DeLorean... it was not associated with the movies in any way, but it was a Universal owned car. I can't seem to find any old threads on it. I wonder if this guy bought it thinking it was a screen used car?
    Actually I believe the owner of that car is on this forum; I believe it is TTait.

EDIT: Actually he won the car from Universal; maybe this is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Actually I believe the owner of that car is on this forum; I believe it is TTait.

EDIT: Actually he won the car from Universal; maybe this is something different.
    Yeah this is the Universal car I was thinking of!

I found this quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I got a lot of documentation with my first D, and knew the original owners name, and that he had worked at Universal Studios about the same time I did (he sold to Universal and I rescued it from them a dozen years later). Every couple years I googled him but he keeps a low profile. Finally after 5 years he popped up on linked in and I got in touch. By this time he was then working at Disney, and moved over there shortly thereafter as well.

We scheduled a lunch, but his schedule got tight, so we just took a 20 minute drive in the car. The resto was still in progress but he he was pleased to reconnect with the car nearly 20 years after he last saw it. I invited him to come see the car at the company car show a few years later, not sure if he made it or not as it was a busy day. Unfortunately the car was totalled by a yahoo in a pickup a few months later - did not have the heart to tell him.

T
    10902 was owned by Universal Studios Hollywood for a dozen years - but it was kept stock, not converted to a Time Machine. I have copies of the registration paperwork showing it registered and titled to Universal Studios Hollywood. The car is currently owned by Ed Uding at DMC-EU.
    I'm not sure how this other DJ guy Rudolf could possibly own the same car. If he'd share the VIN then it could be confirmed one way or another.

My VIN:    5482

FWIW - according to the recently released documentary Outatime where the team restores the original "A" car, there were only 3 cars used for the film. The "A" car was used for the glamour shots. The "B" car was used for stunts and action shots. The "C" car was a cut-up car for interior shots only.

The "C" car was disposed of after the end of the series. The "B" car was destroyed by the train scene at the end of the 3rd film. The "A" car is the only surviving car left, which has now gone from Universal on loan to the Peterson museum (sitting next to a Magnum PI 308 GTSi).

So unless I'm missing something here, there are no other official BTTF original cars. BTW, a VIN pic of the "A" car from the documentary shows 5216, if memory serves me correctly, which would fit because it was a grooved hood, no gas flap.
    Jeff

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast