FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: This guy claims his car was used in BTTF

My VIN:    6125

Yeah that sounds great... I tried getting him to send me the VIN after asking him a bunch of other questions but he did not reply

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    If you can't get to his vin, take a pic of his license plate number and run it through carfax. He is obviously using the car for attention...
    Thank you. There is a car show over in Westland MI, a stretch for him that I am thinking about going to.

The problem with DeLoreans is we have a three of them around here (about 10 miles of me) and we barely see each other..... I only see Mike (TIMEZUP) on occasion. Gratiot Cruise, and just met Steve (IT IS) out of Novi at the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Joe (1.21GW) text but never have met so, it will be chancy me catching up with this guy from Lincoln Park but its doable.

Is it me or we introverted dudes? or just my area?

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

OUTATIME documentary - and the fate of all the Time Machines

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I enjoyed the film and meeting Steve at DCS. One 'criticism' I had about it is that they were a little pedantic about the three car claim. It's very precisely worded that they're discussing ONLY BTTF1 cars, but they state it in a very nuanced way. They could have added a quick line or two about the provenance of the BTTF3 cars. The documentary is almost exclusively about the first movie's cars, which actually fits pretty well given the car was restored back to the Doc Brown car hauler reveal scene and not the more iconic Mr. Fusion setup at the end of the movie.
    Somebody else mentioned it, but I wanted to repeat it. In the bonus audio commentary with Joe Walser and I, we discuss the fate of all 7 vehicles (6 real, 1 fiberglass) used in the BTTF trilogy. We only discussed the A, B, and C cars in the main OUTATIME documentary, because going through the history of all 7 was just a bit too much for the main film. But, we knew BTTF fans would want to know the complete story, so we added it in the audio commentary.

Thanks!
    Steve
    www.OUTATIMEmovie.com

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Also, this video confirms his time circuits were made by Bruce Coulombe. Note the same ridiculously incorrect buttons from the keypad in the video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8Z8ui4h28

Actually Bruce said he didn't make the TDC - he bought it from someone who had it made by someone else, and fixed it so the time circuits would work. And he mentioned he was going to try and get the other more proper keypad to work with it. Once he had it fixed he was going to sell it on eBay. Looks like the person who is the main subject here bought it from the eBay auction (or the person who sold him the car).

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Actually I believe the owner of that car is on this forum; I believe it is TTait.

EDIT: Actually he won the car from Universal; maybe this is something different.
    Tom actually got the car while working for Universal, partially in trade for a lot of work he had been doing for them. I got to go to lunch with him one day in it, before I got my own. It was a neat car, as he had replaced the cam (from what I remember) and it sounded beefier than most DeLoreans.

My VIN:    2894

I can almost guarantee this guy knows his car is not only not screen-used, it's not even screen-accurate. You don't put any real money into something without looking at, I don't know, maybe a PICTURE of the interior from the movie?

You also don't threaten legal action over a comment thread unless you're covering something up. This dude knows exactly what he has and is simply trying to keep up the charade.
    CEO at RentTheDelorean.com
    Dreamer at FastestDeloreanInTheWorld.com
    First & Longest Running Video Blogger at TheOfficialJourney.com ( 1999-2022 )

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Just saw this thread for the first time now many years later.

My former car, 10902 was in an accident in Pasadena and had probably $17k in damage, but was repairable. The morons at the insurance company filed the car with California as a total loss and it was forever going to have a salvage title in the US. Once they did that there was no way to roll it back even though they eventually came to understand the value of the car they paid me more than twice what the damages were and I purchased it back from them pretty cheaply. Once I realized I could not get the title restored I found that it was going to be nearly impossible to insure the car properly and therefore if there was ever a loss again I'd only get a very small settlement. This meant I couldn't drive the car again even if it was repaired.

Yes, I looked into agreed value insurance but that wasn't possible for reasons I no longer recall.

So it was a car with front end damage only but otherwise mechanically very good (perfect before the crash) with a perfect interior (if you don't mind a DMC reproduction dash and leather binnacle)That I could have repaired easily but could never feel comfortable driving because it would not be properly insured.

Fortunately, I struck a good deal with Ed Uding for the car and it was shipped to Europe where a salvage title doesn't matter. Europe has strict inspection processes instead of "labels". I'm told the car is fully repaired, possibly converted to a Time Machine, and possibly now in Italy. If anyone knows for sure it would be fun to find out.

To give some closure to this thread, 10902 was never in any of the movies, 100% guaranteed - but it was owned and titled to Universal Hollywood for many years and I bought it from them as a junker and restored it to beautiful condition (average if you looked at the underside as the frame wasn't perfect etc but mechanically perfect and beauty on the outside). It did have new cams and a Stage 1 exhaust. It sounded so good that a yahoo in Pasadena thought I was trying to race him and ended up smacking me into an oncoming car - lesson learned.

The car in these photos is likely not 10902 however. The seats look tired and the rest of the interior is not up to par with the car I sold to Ed. No idea whose car that was but I agree there is no way it was used in the movies, although it might have been owned by Universal.

There was another raffle car from Universal CA in 2007 I believe, but I doubt Universal actually ever held the title for that car, they probably only facilitated the raffle. Aside from 10902 Universal California did not own any other stock Deloreans between 1993 and 2005. Florida may have had a reproduction prop car to display.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    To give some closure to this thread, 10902 was never in any of the movies, 100% guaranteed - but it was owned and titled to Universal Hollywood for many years and I bought it from them as a junker and restored it to beautiful condition (average if you looked at the underside as the frame wasn't perfect etc but mechanically perfect and beauty on the outside). It did have new cams and a Stage 1 exhaust. It sounded so good that a yahoo in Pasadena thought I was trying to race him and ended up smacking me into an oncoming car - lesson learned.

The car in these photos is likely not 10902 however. The seats look tired and the rest of the interior is not up to par with the car I sold to Ed. No idea whose car that was but I agree there is no way it was used in the movies, although it might have been owned by Universal.
    Nevertheless fascinating, and thank you for sharing. As I often say, a story makes a car, and this sometimes a factor in driving prices above market.

I know I'm late to the party here, but the recent Hagerty Documentary (by and large, extremely well executed, and having Tamir cover JZD was an excellent choice) all too briefly goes into the history and what happened
    with the 7 cars used over the 3 movies. What I hadn't realized is that at least one of the cars was parted out and parts now may be on many other cars - this no doubt confuses the history greatly.

What I haven't seen is the slightly older Discovery channel thing, which I understand is more a work of sensationalism than anything, but purports to track down all the cars.

I understand that the VIN of the C car remains in question.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    ... the recent Hagerty Documentary (by and large, extremely well executed, and having Tamir cover JZD was an excellent choice) all too briefly goes into the history and what happened
    with the 7 cars used over the 3 movies. What I hadn't realized is that at least one of the cars was parted out and parts now may be on many other cars - this no doubt confuses the history greatly.
    Here's the breakdown from the recent Hagerty documentary for those who haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/fgOb22gz_TY?t=3614

The fact that parts from the destroyed B car ended up on a few different replicas also complicates things. There were also some parts that got swapped around between cars when Jay Ohrberg was using the screen used cars as reference to build the replicas for the promo tour.

And there was a period of time where the history of each car wasn't as widely known, so it was easier for people to make up stories about their car, and those stories got passed from owner to owner.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-20-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post

To give some closure to this thread, 10902 was never in any of the movies, 100% guaranteed - but it was owned and titled to Universal Hollywood for many years and I bought it from them as a junker and restored it to beautiful .
    This is interesting. When you think of reasons for a movie studio to own vehicles, there are many.

1. Trucks (large and small) to transport equipment.
    2. Cars and buses (and even aircraft) to transport employees.
    3. In the case of famous VIPs, I suppose they have a number of Limos.
    4. Motor homes might be used for “on location” living.
    5. And, of course, vehicles that they actually use in the movies. (Both on film or camera transport)

The funny thing is, a Delorean doesn’t seem to fit any of these categories. (Except the film cars)

Do you happen to know what your car was used for?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast