FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ressurection of BLWNAWY

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The Ressurection of BLWNAWY

I wanted to start a new thread covering the reconstruction of this very unique car. For background see http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...highlight=Fire and http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...values-welcome.

It's good to get her home, and encouraging that the damage is not really as bad as some thought. Again, the car has a clear title, the supercharger appears to be ok, and I bet after disassembly for inspection the engine will be found good also. As noted on the other threads I first bought this car in 1990; spent 5 years installing the supercharged Chevy 4.3 V6 with minimal changes to the car; then reluctantly sold it in 2005. It fell back into my lap via bringatrailer.com and ebay, and will be brought back to its previous glory. After one day in my shop all of the melted rear parts are off (first time I ever had to use a saw to take a car apart!). Inside the trunk were a few surprises - some receipts from my 1990-1995 build; a brand new LH large door window in the same box I sent it off 11 years ago with the car; shop and parts manuals, a brand new carburetor, and the original WA front license plate. I will add updates as they occur, but my wife says it will not be at the 10hr/6day/17mo rate of my last restoration...
    001.jpghome 008.jpg

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Wow, good luck! Look forward to watching your progress!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very Cool! It's great that the car is back in its builders hands! Good luck with the resurrection
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

make that "Resurrection"

Editors/moderators - can you correct the spelling of "Resurrection" in the thread title? I don't know how to do that. And to think I actually looked that word up and STILL spelled it wrong.

My VIN:    4877

Good luck...cant wait to see the progress. You'll prolly get her ressurected before I finish mine..lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

That looks like an Edelbrock carb (or a Carter AFB). If it is, fuel inlet is directly above your ignition distributor. Might be worthwhile to rig up a splash guard.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    That looks like an Edelbrock carb (or a Carter AFB). If it is, fuel inlet is directly above your ignition distributor. Might be worthwhile to rig up a splash guard.

Bill Robertson
    Edelbrock/Carter carbs have been used on literally millions of Chevy engines with few problems. However, this time I will install a hard line down to the fuel filter, which on this car is inside the frame where the "backbone" ends and rear "Y" starts. This fire was due to human error - failure to tighten the fuel line after working on the carb. It had nothing to do with the unfortunately well-documented rash of stock DeLorean engine fires, which were a problem way back when I was dealing with them in the late 80's and 90's. I parted out several cars that were totaled due to engine fires including a twin turbo car once owned by DMC exec Roy Nesseth that many believe was a Legend car.
    Last edited by BLWNAWY; 11-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Make that "Resurrection..."

Thought I would post a progress report. The frame is repainted and the replacement rear body section is in place. Yesterday I hauled the car to a boat builder/fiberglass fabrication shop to have them do the actual bonding. Before removal of the burnt body I made up a number of alignment jigs for the door openings, hinge studs, door latch pins, seat tracks, console bolts, and "T-top" height. That way I was able to position the replacement in exactly the same position. While it is in their shop I will be cleaning up the blackened quarter panels. I did the RH one yesterday and it came out like new. I started with oven cleaner, and then spray-on stainless cleaner and a coarse Scotchbrite pad. In a few places it required a little 80-grit sandpaper followed by the Scotchbrite, but part of that was due to minor scratches acquired over the last 11 years. Also the supercharger is disassembled, and it and a whole box of other aluminum parts are awaiting a trip to a polisher's shop. I could do that myself, but this guy's work is fabulous.

11-3-16 1.jpg11-3-16 2.jpg11-3-16 3.jpg11-3-16 4.jpg

Resurrection...

Time for another update. Engine is in, plumbed and wired. Note there is now a hard line to the carb, as well as a fuel pump safety switch actuated by oil pressure. All wiring is repaired and ready to go. I would fire it up but am waiting on back-ordered seals and gaskets for the supercharger. Also waiting on a new billet air filter housing and s/s shift knob being custom made to my specs. New leather seat covers and seat back panels are in the mail from Lseat. Next up is installing the rear bumper, fascia, taillights etc. The modification to the engine cover is half done - opened up entirely, waiting for a piece of expanded metal to fill the hole. Last will be a hole in the louver for the air cleaner. A lot of work accomplished considering I started 8/9/16. I do enjoy being retired....
    Attached Images
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Looking Awesome!!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast