FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Ressurection of BLWNAWY

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    Both the Grundy ($215) and Classic Collectors ($160) quotes were for the agreed value of $25k. I may raise that before actually pulling the trigger. Not sure about Safeco ($255) - think it was just for standard full coverage but have my agent checking it out. My very rural location, age (67), high credit rating, multi-car discount, and perfect driving record (no speeding tickets EVER) make for the lowest rates. Most folks will pay significantly higher. I'm leaning toward Safeco because the collector policies have use restrictions - to shows and occasional pleasure use. A trip down the coast, for example, does NOT qualify. I can live with that on my Dodge, but I'd like to be able to drive the DeLorean more often than that.
    I just got my DeLorean insured through Grundy last month. They wouldn't go any higher than $35k for agreed value unless I provide an appraisal letter. Rob Grady is going to write something up for me. Then the only question is if their underwriter will accept it.

-Nick Pitello
    VIN# 16377

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Don't forget Hagerty.
    At $531 Hagerty was not even competitive. They have always been higher for my classic car quotes.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    6585

I'm really glad to see your car is back where she belongs. Congratulations to you on all the hard work you've put into her.

How easy was it to get rid of the smoke damage and smell from the passenger compartment? Did you have to clean out the ductwork? Steam/replace seats?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    I just got my DeLorean insured through Grundy last month. They wouldn't go any higher than $35k for agreed value unless I provide an appraisal letter. Rob Grady is going to write something up for me. Then the only question is if their underwriter will accept it.

-Nick Pitello
    VIN# 16377

Grundy insured mine for $50,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Without an appraisal?

-Nick Pitello
    VIN# 16377

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    Without an appraisal?

-Nick Pitello
    VIN# 16377
    No, no appraisal mentioned.

Dear Mr. David:

Thank you for your application. Coverage for your 1981 Delorean has been bound for 5 days

effective as of 11/15/2016. The binder is based on the following information:

1. Maximum insurable value we will offer is $50,000.00 – signed acceptance is required.

X__________________________________________

High Book value is $45,000.00.

2. Current colored photos of the vehicle (front and side view) – required.

. . .

No, no appraisal mentioned.

Dear Mr. David:

Thank you for your application. Coverage for your 1981 Delorean has been bound for 5 days

effective as of 11/15/2016. The binder is based on the following information:

1. Maximum insurable value we will offer is $50,000.00 – signed acceptance is required.

X__________________________________________

High Book value is $45,000.00.

2. Current colored photos of the vehicle (front and side view) – required.

. . .
    After I submitted my paperwork with the $45k valuation, they called me to say they couldn't give me that high of an agreed value.

I had to email them that I would like to lower the valuation to $35k:

Support,

I understand that we will continue with this insurance quote at the valuation of $35,000.00. I will speak with the owner of the only remaining original DeLorean Dealership in existence (www.pjgrady.com) and ask them to provide me a valuation in writing. They recently inspected this car within the past month.

Thanks.

Nick Pitello

Then they sent me a letter similar to yours that I had to sign:

Dear Mr. Pitello,

Thank you for your application. After careful review your application is pending based on the following information.

1. Maximum value we will offer for your vehicle is $35,000. Signed acceptance is required:
    X________________________________________
    2. Payment is required in the amount of $283.00

Kindly send the above requested information at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for choosing Grundy Worldwide.

Also, I only had to submit one picture of my car.

-Nick Pitello
    VIN# 16377

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

How easy was it to get rid of the smoke damage and smell from the passenger compartment? Did you have to clean out the ductwork? Steam/replace seats?
    I replaced the 3 carpet pieces behind the seats and steam cleaned the rest. The headliners, upper door panels, and door A & B post trim were replaced, and the seats reupholstered. Ductwork was blown out. There is NO smell or smoke damage remaining. None.

I spent a lot of time undoing the previous (Texas) owner's "handiwork" including a steering wheel held on by a crude tin plate, wiring splices just twisted together, removing an ugly aftermarket interior mirror and shift knob, fuel line changes, etc. Luckily I know every bolt and wire on the car, having rebuilt it before in '90-'95. One of the biggest challenges was sorting out the maze of wiring shown below. It now looks original, and everything worked the first time except the electric choke which just turned out to be a missed blown fuse (and the radio as noted before).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BLWNAWY; 05-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017

My VIN:    4877

Gotta love those fun gifts that PO's leave behind...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Be careful with Grundy or any other collector car coverage unless you only drive your car to shows/events. I just got this response from them: "Thank you for contacting Grundy Worldwide. For any vehicle on the collector policy you cannot use the vehicle for running errands, taking trips out of town unless it is being used for hobby related use such as a car show, tour or parade. To visit a friend out of town on an extended trip we would consider that daily use [and not covered]." I am awaiting responses from Classic Collectors (much cheaper) and Safeco as to their use policies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast