FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you get the luggage compartment switch out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It has about 8 of those "ball and socket" connectors around the edges of it. These are the ones where the little stud with a round end on it are attached to the backside of the grille and then the receiving ends are mounted in the front fascia. Basically you just pull on it, although that is over simplifying it, especially if you've never done it before and might not know where to pull.

What I found worked for me was to kind of reach in from the side (next to the inside headlight on each side) with a hook shaped tool and pull gently until you work it out. If the ends of those studs are a bit corroded, it can get challenging to pull it out.

I tried to find you a photo of what it looks like removed form the car, but I can't find one at the moment. This is what the ball studs look like: http://store.delorean.com/p-9713-ball-stud.aspx
    Thanks guys, I've pulled my grille off and I see the purple and black wires. I probed both wires from the grill area back to the light socket and they both had good continuity. What could cause it not to light up if the connection is good from the grille?

Also, I was looking at my ball and socket pieces and they're a bit rusted. I pulled one off and it's definitely not brass like the one in the photo on delorean.com...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

How do you get the luggage compartment switch out?

Take some fine sandpaper and clean them. If want, you could wipe a thin film of anti-seize compound on them. It will make them a little easier to pop off in the future if you need to.

Check the light housing terminals. Also if you have an LED in there as it could be polarity sensitive.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Good stuff. Check the bulb (hook it up to 12 v somewhere else to see it light up if you need to). Look at the metal tabs inside the light fixture and see that they haven't spread apart too far to make the bulb fit loose.

Trunk & engine bay lighting.jpg

The circuit isn't very complicated. Check that you have 12 v coming from the fuse 12 power source. Check to see the condition of the ground.

Check to see if you have some sort of other PO wiring modification in there causing issues.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Still troubleshooting this... When I checked the continuity from of the connections behind the grill I was checking from the light housing to the connection behind the grill. I didn't check the connection coming in...

WiresBehindGrill.jpg

I just hooked the battery up and probed across the connection and it seems to be dead. I should see 12V across it when the battery is hooked up, right?

Where can I check next? I know that fuse 12 is good because all my other lights are lit up (engine bay, dome lights, door lights, etc.). Where do the black and purple wires go from behind the grill? Is there somewhere else I can check them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Good stuff. Check the bulb (hook it up to 12 v somewhere else to see it light up if you need to). Look at the metal tabs inside the light fixture and see that they haven't spread apart too far to make the bulb fit loose.

Trunk & engine bay lighting.jpg

The circuit isn't very complicated. Check that you have 12 v coming from the fuse 12 power source. Check to see the condition of the ground.

Check to see if you have some sort of other PO wiring modification in there causing issues.
    I checked the bulb and it lights up but it looks like I don't have 12V behind the grill with the battery plugged in. Where is the ground connection for this luggage compartment light?

Not sure exactly where that ground terminates. But to verify it do a continuity check between harness side single connector and the stainless header panel behind it. If you have continuity for ground then it's the purple wire that is the issue. There is a pair of harness connectors inside the underbody that are only accessible by removing the washer fluid bucket and tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Not sure exactly where that ground terminates. But to verify it do a continuity check between harness side single connector and the stainless header panel behind it. If you have continuity for ground then it's the purple wire that is the issue. There is a pair of harness connectors inside the underbody that are only accessible by removing the washer fluid bucket and tank.
    Great idea. I just checked it out and I really need to check that washer fluid connection because there isn't a short between the stainless and purple behind the grille (floating I guess) but there is a short between the stainless and black (as expected). Thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post

I just hooked the battery up and probed across the connection and it seems to be dead. I should see 12V across it when the battery is hooked up, right?
    Only if the bulb is installed and good!
    Note the bulb is always powered and it gets its ground from the Purple/White from the switch (which gets its ground from the black wire).

Check in the bulb's socket for 12V on one side if you haven't (use something like the battery (-) to ground the other probe, to be sure).

Does the engine compartment light work?

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    There is a pair of harness connectors inside the underbody that are only accessible by removing the washer fluid bucket and tank.
    You nailed this Dennis. Thank you so much! I took the washer fluid tank down, there were only three bolts holding it up (I'll have to address that). Sure enough, that plug was completely disconnected. I plugged it in an voila, light!

IMG_20161007_135023.jpg

This was the last accessory light that I was having problems with, yay!

That's not exactly what I would have expected, but hey strange things never cease to amaze me with these cars. The fact that only 3 bolts were holding the bucket, says someone was in there before. As long as things are open, be sure to clean all those connections. It will save you the hassle of needing to get back in there any time soon.

The thing that puzzles me is the 2 wire connector includes the ground return wire, yet you stated you had continuity to the header panel and the black harness side single wire connector. If the plug was disconnected as the picture shows then that shouldn't have been possible. But hey I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast