FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to get to DMC MW from Midway?

My VIN:    10907

Question Best way to get to DMC MW from Midway?

So, assuming all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up my new ride in Chicago next week. Has anybody flown into MDW and gotten to DMCMW for less than a 2-3 hour train ride or a $200 one-way car rental? I tried to find a shuttle service but the ones advertised on the airport website don't seem to offer Crystal Lake as a destination. Has anybody taken a taxi or Uber up there and not paid an arm and a leg? Is there another option I'm missing?

(Oh yeah, and I'll be getting there right around rush hour so I'm considering the possibility that the train might actually be faster than driving.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 08-16-2016 at 02:49 AM.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    So, assuming all goes according to plan, I'll be picking up my new ride in Chicago next week. Has anybody flown into MDW and gotten to DMCMW for less than a 2-3 hour train ride or a $200 one-way car rental? I tried to find a shuttle service but the ones advertised on the airport website don't seem to offer Crystal Lake as a destination. Has anybody taken a taxi or Uber up there and not paid an arm and a leg? Is there another option I'm missing?

(Oh yeah, and I'll be getting there right around rush hour so I'm considering the possibility that the train might actually be faster than driving.)
    The Metra train from Chicago downtown Ogilvie Station was a straight-forward, cheap ($8.50), and stress free trip for me. But Midway is not downtown. O'Hare is and would recommend considering it if possible.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    The Metra train from Chicago downtown Ogilvie Station was a straight-forward, cheap ($8.50), and stress free trip for me. But Midway is not downtown. O'Hare is and would recommend considering it if possible.
    Depending upon how comfortable you are navigating a big city like Chicago, the Orange Line "L" Train will take you right from Midway to downtown Chicago train stations
    with at least two options (Quincy stop is Union Station and all Amtraks) or (Washington/Wells stop is closest to Ogilvie Transportation Center, with a few blocks to walk).

I think the current "full fare rate" is $2.25

Note: O'Hare is not "downtown" and requires taking the Blue Line "L" Train or taxi or your choice to get downtown or to another train station. Crystal Lake is West of O'Hare.
    Downtown Chicago is East of O'Hare.
    Last edited by Rich W; 08-16-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added note

My VIN:    Between VINs

Crystal Lake *looks* close to Chicago on the map, but really it's not. I drove from Millenium Park in north Chicago to Crystal Lake in April and it took forever. No surprise you won't find a shuttle for that as Midway is even farther way than Millenium Park.

Doing a quick search on GMaps you could take the Orange Line from Midway to Clark/Lake, then the Blue Line to Irving Park, and then a bus from Irving Park right up 14 into Crystal Lake. I'm sure Mike would be able to get you at the bus station from that point. Total transit time is 2:15 or so, not sure how much layover at each stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/ooPZAczLt5S2

That's what I would do. Renting a car one way would probaby feel like overkill and I'm sure a taxi would cost double that.

My VIN:    3937

+1 on downtown (Ogilvie) to Crystal Lake (or vice versa) on the train. I took that each way when there last summer for the open house and it was easy (and cheap!). The Crystal Lake stop was walking distance to the hotel and I'd think it would be less than a $10 taxi ride to the Midwest shop. It's pretty much right around the corner from the Wal-Mart so shouldn't be hard to find.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If you can get to the Crystal Lake (Pingree Rd) Metra station, we can pick you up depending on time. If you get in late, it's a 5 minute walk from the train to Country Inn Suites or Comfort Inn. We could drop you there too, just call and coordinate. We are VERY close to the station and the shop.

I agree with Rich W on getting downtown and then getting on the Metra Northwest line, just be careful about the schedules as the Metra trains only run once an hour at night. That will be by far the cheapest option.

Unfortunately Chicago has apparently banned Uber/Lyft from picking up at airports, and you really don't want to walk far from Midway by yourself.

Don't take a bus to Crystal Lake, I've never heard of that option, I don't even know where they would drop you.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Between VINs

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Don't take a bus to Crystal Lake, I've never heard of that option, I don't even know where they would drop you.
    I read the GMaps icon wrong, the 'bus' I was referring to is the Metra train you were talking about.

Here in the middle of nowhere WI a lot of the near-distance public transport is bus to rail changeovers, so I made an assumption and didn't think anything of it.

My mistake.

My VIN:    10907

Thanks, guys. The train it is. Hope I don't get stabbed on the way downtown, lol. Fortunately the TSA allows tools up to 7" in carryon so I'll be sure to keep a couple screwdrivers where I can get at them fast...

You get shot in Chicago, not stabbed.

CTA Clinton station is on the backside of Metra's Ogilvie station -- you have to walk a couple of blocks around the station platforms to the frontside entrance. Get off Metra at the Pingree Road station, not Crystal Lake. You can see the motels across an undeveloped field, but again need to walk around it (there's a sidewalk along Pingree Road).

Bill Robertson

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    You get shot in Chicago, not stabbed.
    90.7% of the time!

http://heyjackass.com/2016-cause-of-death/

(This is not a political post.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast