FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get to DMC MW from Midway?

My VIN:    10907

Yeah, I threw everything I thought I might need that was small enough not to get confiscated in my carry-on. If it seems like I might need any tools bigger than 7"* I'll buy them there. I was planning on stopping at Wal-Mart for fluids and water and they've got jacks and wrenches there too, although IDK if they're of better or worse quality than HF.

*Get your minds out of the gutter

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    .. I was planning on stopping at Wal-Mart for fluids and water and they've got jacks and wrenches there too, although IDK if they're of better or worse quality than HF.]
    You can see the WalMart from the front door of the shop.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to comment on this.

Isn't it possible to see a WalMart from Any place in the USA?

(I'll get off here now)...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    6585

*Get your minds out of the gutter
    Can't speak for everyone else, but my immediate thought was Breaker Bar.

Although a floor jack handle also works very nicely to tension the alternator for the water pump belt.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Can't speak for everyone else, but my immediate thought was Breaker Bar.

Although a floor jack handle also works very nicely to tension the alternator for the water pump belt.
    Heh, all shenanigans aside, if I'm having the belts tightened at DMCMW, they shouldn't come loose again on the drive home, right? Or is that a thing that happens?

My VIN:    6585

Heh, all shenanigans aside, if I'm having the belts tightened at DMCMW, they shouldn't come loose again on the drive home, right? Or is that a thing that happens?
    Nah, you should be fine. Especially since the belts are new. The only reason I myself have ever had that happen was because of a damaged alternator where fan blades were bent. As those blades on the alternator spin, they tend to flex out. Which is perfectly normal. But since mine were bent by a previous inept mechanic, they'd flex too far and started chewing the belt anytime the engine went above 4,800 RPMs.

I seem to be the only person who has ever had that problem, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Nah, you should be fine. Especially since the belts are new. The only reason I myself have ever had that happen was because of a damaged alternator where fan blades were bent. As those blades on the alternator spin, they tend to flex out. Which is perfectly normal. But since mine were bent by a previous inept mechanic, they'd flex too far and started chewing the belt anytime the engine went above 4,800 RPMs.

I seem to be the only person who has ever had that problem, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
    Oh, good (well, for me, not necessarily for you. Previous Owner Syndrome, eh?) I'm trying to prepare for any contingency but obvs I'd vastly prefer it if I weren't trying to make any major-ish repairs by the side of the freeway...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Arrgh, if I'd been thinking, I would have just ordered everything for store pickup from that one and saved myself some luggage space.

My shopping list, compiled from various road trip/emergency kit threads (checked ones are stuff I already have or am getting from DMCMW)

Picture 1864-3.jpgPicture 1862-1.jpgPicture 1863-2.jpg

I just noticed I have tiedown straps and gas can on there twice. Not sure what the guy who said he carries a can of Coke uses it for... battery corrosion?

The alternator and fuel pump are new so I probably won't bother with those. I've got the wiring diagram saved to my tablet but maybe I'll print one out at Kinkos, too. I also added a breaker bar at DMCVegas's suggestion. Anything else I'm missing? (If anybody can actually read my writing, lol...)

Not sure what the guy who said he carries a can of Coke uses it for... battery corrosion?
    Only applies to carb conversions (with K-Jet it won't do you a bit of good):

CarbManualFill.jpg

(In case of fuel pump failure allows you to manually fill the carb and drive to a safe haven).

Bill Robertson

Anything else I'm missing? (If anybody can actually read my writing, lol...)
    I'd say, don't forget a backup battery pack for your smart phone. Or, make sure you have one of those US style cigarette lighter adapters for USB cables (usually what you need to charge a phone from the car). I think you can get them from DMC itself.

And it goes without saying, if you get in a jam and have a smart phone with you, with a data plan, you can jump on the internet, connect right here on DMCTalk, and ask for guidance or help. Put "EMERGENCY" in the tile box.

Best of luck to you. We'll be watching.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast