Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
I jacked the rear-end of my car up yesterday from the center section of the frame (removing rear wheels momentarily) right in front of the oil pan as shown in the picture. The only difference is I didn't use a block of wood, but rather a thick rag folded over a few times. When I let the car down, I noticed a very slight indentation where the jack was, but not really in the same shape as the jack pad. I can't remember if it was already there or if I just caused the damage. My question is, is there supposed to be a slight indentation at that spot, or did I damage it? If I damaged it, is it significant or nothing to worry about? It doesn't look like an issue to me, but I just want to make sure.
I will provide a pic when I can.
It tends to crack the epoxy on the inside. In the long run it's another rust point. In reality that particular spot tends not to rust through as it dries pretty easily.

This is the reason you should use a wood block and not a rag. Think about it, you are lifting more than 1/2 the weight of the car (i.e. over 1500 pounds) with a piece of sheet metal. Spread it around a bit!