FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How To: Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front/rear of a DeLorean

My VIN:    16409

I just got the quick jack too. What model did you get? I got the 5000 pound one. It seeemd to have more room to position the rubber blocks than the 3500 pounder.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03500

Ya I noticed that and had to decide over money and use and got the 3500 lb model. I really like it! Was worried about damage because it didn't reach the jacking points. Like I said with the rubber blocks no worries.

Dave B

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    So I took my car in for an inspection today. I was expecting the shop to use a lift to take the car completely off the ground, but instead they used a floor jack. This is shop that does a fair amount of custom and race vehicles, and was recommended by a friend, so I thought the guy knew what he was doing. He had a good look under the car with a light, then proceeded to put the jack roughly under the seat, and jack up the passenger side so both front and back wheels came off the ground.

Not knowing any better myself, I just watched. The car didn't creak or seem to mind, and looking at the underside now, I see no evidence of damage. Could this have all gone very very wrong? Did I just get really lucky, or do people jack up cars like this sometimes?

-Rick
    I literally gasped out loud reading this. I was fully expecting to hear that the guy punched a jack shaped hole through the bottom of your car. You must have gotten really lucky that nothing bad happened. Did he use a flat piece of wood or anything to help distribute the load? Or the guy must have been far enough outboard where the fiberglass is thicker and wasn't on the actual seat pan. In some spots below the actual seat the fiberglass about 1/4" thick.

My VIN:    03500

+1
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 12-12-2016 at 10:56 AM.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ok, so I'm planning on getting underneath to clean up the frame and stuff under there and was planning to get another set of jack stands (cant afford one of them fancy lifty things)...
    I've never had a car completely up on stands before, so I'm wondering if there's anything i need to be paranoid of (other than a 3000lb car giving me a suddent weight loss treatment)?

Also..which end is best to jack first for less risk of the stands shifting or anything while jacking the other end?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Ok, so I'm planning on getting underneath to clean up the frame and stuff under there and was planning to get another set of jack stands (cant afford one of them fancy lifty things)...
    I've never had a car completely up on stands before, so I'm wondering if there's anything i need to be paranoid of (other than a 3000lb car giving me a suddent weight loss treatment)?

Also..which end is best to jack first for less risk of the stands shifting or anything while jacking the other end?
    Hi Rob,

I spent a few hours underneath my car when it was on 4 jack stands, it wasn't too bad, and you get used to it... As long as you have sturdy jack stands and place them correctly. Just ensure the car is on a level firm surface and you place the 4 stands in the same place as in the pictures in the first post ( and that your frame is solid enough for this). I prefer to use 2 floor jacks, one on each side in the jack points on the tub. I set the parking brake and lift the front end first, then position the jack stands under the frame, using a solid piece of wood between the stand and the frame as described. Next, ease the front down on the jack stands. Then you can repeat the process on the rear. I use the lowest setting on the jack stands to start off with, and then add more height if necessary, front first, then the rear.

I never tried to force a part off or "reef" on something while the car was on stands.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-26-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks. I have acdelco stands...they were pretty sturdy when I had just the front end up.

Not planning on any wrenching of things under there...other than taking the gas tank panel off to make it all spiffy...most I'll be doing under there is using a wire wheel (and broom to clear out the dang spiders).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Mine spends about 6 months a year on 4 jack stands lol. Just put a piece of wood in between the stand and the frame to distribute the load and prevent scratching the frame.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I jack up the front end first because if I do the rear first I can't get my floor jack underneath the front spoiler. (Full disclosure: #2613 rides on Eibach springs from DMCH, so slightly lower than stock.)
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I jack up the front end first because if I do the rear first I can't get my floor jack underneath the front spoiler. (Full disclosure: #2613 rides on Eibach springs from DMCH, so slightly lower than stock.)
    X2

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast