FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front/rear of a DeLorean

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

How To: Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front/rear of a DeLorean

Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front and rear of the DeLorean.
    Please read the descriptions on the two pictures.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

I have never heard of collapsing floor stands, but you can't go wrong on a backup.

Thanks for posting.

You have a mighty fine set of jacks.

You always hear of a car coming down on someone in the news.

Ed

My VIN:    3695

Quote Originally Posted by BTTF-1 View Post
    You always hear of a car coming down on someone in the news.
    Yes, that's terrible indeed. I always just a jack (and stands to backup the jack). Also, I keep my mobile close for emergencies.

Thank you for this great post. The photos are very helpful and I will always have a backup floor jack in place when doing anything under the car.
    Again, thank you - This gives me a better understanding on jacking up the car.

Raymond-
    dmcpilot

My VIN:    1597

Some of my best investments. 4 car ramps,a good low profile jack and another smaller I carry with me. Also good wheel chocks since I do not trust the E brake at all.
    Thanks for the good pics.
    BTW- On mine the po or someone placed a jack under the battery area that has a deceptive looking jack point. Crushed the glass real good requiring me to glass it over.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

On a slight tangent, anyone use Race Ramp wheel cribs before?

I bought two pair of 12" ones so I could get the whole car nice and elevated. However, I realized that in order to use them, I have to jack up one corner, place the ramp, jack up the other corner, Place the ramp and then repeat the procedure on the other end of the car.

What I'm afraid of is the car being torqued while only one wheel is sitting on the wheel crib until I get to the other side to even it out. What are the dangers? Broken window? Bent frame? Mis aligned panels?

Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    06513

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    What I'm afraid of is the car being torqued while only one wheel is sitting on the wheel crib until I get to the other side to even it out. What are the dangers? Broken window? Bent frame? Mis aligned panels?

Any thoughts?
    Consider having a flat while on the road.
    The car's factory jack is only a one point jack, so you would get the same situation as when jacking it up one point in your garage.
    Though the mentioned dangers exist, I feel that the risk is little.

This risk however IMO applies to many cars when jacking one point.
    My Pontiac (fiberglass body) never met one of those risks mentioned even though it has been jacked one point many a time during my 16 years/140k miles ownership.

BTW When changing "summer"wheels for "winter"wheels and vice versa I jack (the Pontiac) in the middle of the front frame or in the middle of the rear "axle".
    Saves time in changing.
    I have never use those race ramp cribs; I guess you also could put them in place using a jack at the centre of front or rear supports.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

I jacked the rear-end of my car up yesterday from the center section of the frame (removing rear wheels momentarily) right in front of the oil pan as shown in the picture. The only difference is I didn't use a block of wood, but rather a thick rag folded over a few times. When I let the car down, I noticed a very slight indentation where the jack was, but not really in the same shape as the jack pad. I can't remember if it was already there or if I just caused the damage. My question is, is there supposed to be a slight indentation at that spot, or did I damage it? If I damaged it, is it significant or nothing to worry about? It doesn't look like an issue to me, but I just want to make sure.
    I will provide a pic when I can.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    06513

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    I jacked the rear-end of my car up yesterday from the center section of the frame (removing rear wheels momentarily) right in front of the oil pan as shown in the picture. The only difference is I didn't use a block of wood, but rather a thick rag folded over a few times. When I let the car down, I noticed a very slight indentation where the jack was, but not really in the same shape as the jack pad. I can't remember if it was already there or if I just caused the damage. My question is, is there supposed to be a slight indentation at that spot, or did I damage it? If I damaged it, is it significant or nothing to worry about? It doesn't look like an issue to me, but I just want to make sure.
    I will provide a pic when I can.
    I have seen a number of cars, mostly because I come to the shop of DMCEU.
    Most of the cars have a very straight and flat section of the engine support frame.
    If there ware indentations I didn't notice, but appearently they can occur as the middle flat part has no supporting structure in between the upright parts.
    It could be a sign of less strength of that part, perhaps due to rust.

You may be able to look insode that frame part using a flashlight and a mirror.
    That may tell you the actual condition.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast