FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front/rear of a DeLorean

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    I jacked the rear-end of my car up yesterday from the center section of the frame (removing rear wheels momentarily) right in front of the oil pan as shown in the picture. The only difference is I didn't use a block of wood, but rather a thick rag folded over a few times. When I let the car down, I noticed a very slight indentation where the jack was, but not really in the same shape as the jack pad. I can't remember if it was already there or if I just caused the damage. My question is, is there supposed to be a slight indentation at that spot, or did I damage it? If I damaged it, is it significant or nothing to worry about? It doesn't look like an issue to me, but I just want to make sure.
    I will provide a pic when I can.
    It tends to crack the epoxy on the inside. In the long run it's another rust point. In reality that particular spot tends not to rust through as it dries pretty easily.

This is the reason you should use a wood block and not a rag. Think about it, you are lifting more than 1/2 the weight of the car (i.e. over 1500 pounds) with a piece of sheet metal. Spread it around a bit!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I always find that I am searching around the garage for a scrap piece of wood, and frequently think that I should make some sort of wooden cap for the stand, maybe sloped in some way that there is even contact with the top of the jack, rather than just one point (when I am only jacking up one end) which tends to split the wood imo.

Anyone done that? Anyone got any custom jack stand toppers?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It tends to crack the epoxy on the inside. In the long run it's another rust point. In reality that particular spot tends not to rust through as it dries pretty easily.

This is the reason you should use a wood block and not a rag. Think about it, you are lifting more than 1/2 the weight of the car (i.e. over 1500 pounds) with a piece of sheet metal. Spread it around a bit!
    It should be okay structurally, though, right?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It should be okay structurally, though, right?
    Yes, you have not damaged anything structurual. You can look down the inside of the tube and see if the epoxy is cracked. I'm sure we've seen a lot worse and I've never seen a frame rust through there. Just about everywhere else!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yes, you have not damaged anything structurual. You can look down the inside of the tube and see if the epoxy is cracked. I'm sure we've seen a lot worse and I've never seen a frame rust through there. Just about everywhere else!
    Good and thank you, I was a little worried. I'm not overly concerned about rust because the car stays pretty well dry all the time, but I will spray some oily rust protection in there just in case.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Try wrapping your blocks in duct tape. Prevents splitting a nice and easy on the epoxy.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I always find that I am searching around the garage for a scrap piece of wood, and frequently think that I should make some sort of wooden cap for the stand, maybe sloped in some way that there is even contact with the top of the jack, rather than just one point (when I am only jacking up one end) which tends to split the wood imo.

Anyone done that? Anyone got any custom jack stand toppers?
    I actually ended up just cutting up custom blocks that I keep with my jack and stands:

The two large flat pieces on the bottom sit under the jack stands, the 2x4s on the left top the jack stands, and the short flat board on the right tops the jack.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    Proper use of the floor jack and jack stands on the front and rear of the DeLorean.
    Please read the descriptions on the two pictures.
    For the front end, is it easy to pick up with a 2 ton floor jack? I want to pick it up and slip ramps underneath, since I already have the back on ramps and the engine doesn't run. Doing alot of work on the car and want it lifted to work on everything easier.

Thank you!
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 11-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    For the front end, is it easy to pick up with a 2 ton floor jack? I want to pick it up and slip ramps underneath, since I already have the back on ramps and the engine doesn't run. Doing alot of work on the car and want it lifted to work on everything easier.

Thank you!
    Yeah, if it doesn't have lowering springs! Mine is has very low ground-clearance in the front and the jack won't fit underneath.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yeah, if it doesn't have lowering springs! Mine is has very low ground-clearance in the front and the jack won't fit underneath.
    Which front springs are you running?

You might want to look for a different jack.

There are portable floor jacks rated at 3000lb with a 3.5in.-15in. lifting range. That ought to work no matter what suspension you are running.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast