FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice. I just inherited a 1981 Delorean with 1,248 miles. Been in dry storage

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    There's a whole sub-forum for it on here.
    Thanks buddy... That will be helpful. I'm so friggin excited about this car. Its been really hard to wait this long

I did snap a pic of them the last time I was up. The car on the far end is a really old Rolls Royce with suicide doors... you drive it from the right hand side & I think it has a straight-10 in it. Maybe a straight-8? Its huge though.

Capture.JPG

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Be advised that the Cross-reference parts list was compiled mostly back in the 80's through the owners club network to help owners with service parts during the period of uncertainty. (83-95) Pre internet. Several Brands or Part numbers don't exist anymore. A lot of workaround hacks were done on cars back then due to a lack of servicing dealers. Present day parts availability is nothing like it was back then. We now have great resources to parts through the Vendors. In many cases, priced competitively, or even cheaper for the really common stuff, because they have a lot of excess inventory that sees little movement because it's easier to try and get Locally. I have used my local parts store in a pinch but it has been on a very rare occasion.

It's also rather annoying going into a parts store nowadays when, You know what you want and tell the kid behind the counter the description and part number of the part and they respond with "What kind of Vehicle?" to which you say, a 81 Delorean to which they have no listing or anything beyond spark plugs, oil filters and belts, if that. All I'm saying is, trying to find something locally usually ends in failure. If, you want to replace All your fuses or something easy like that by all means go for it. Beyond the really easy stuff, stick with the vendors. Its much less of a headache and your parts will fit without modification.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It's also rather annoying going into a parts store nowadays when, You know what you want and tell the kid behind the counter the description and part number of the part and they respond with "What kind of Vehicle?" to which you say, a 81 Delorean to which they have no listing or anything beyond spark plugs, oil filters and belts, if that.
    Yep. How I usually navigate that whole scenario is telling them its for a custom application and never even mentioning "DeLorean".

I have an 85 Silverado pickup with a motor from a 71 C10. I've had the same issue with that prior. Some of those guys can be down-right argumentative.
    Jeff

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Need advice. I just inherited a 1981 Delorean with 1,248 miles. Been in dry storage

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Yep. How I usually navigate that whole scenario is telling them its for a custom application and never even mentioning "DeLorean".

I have an 85 Silverado pickup with a motor from a 71 C10. I've had the same issue with that prior. Some of those guys can be down-right argumentative.
    Actually I normally use Custom application, especially if its a new kid. I’d rather not get into a discussion about the Delorean.
    This is only when I need to visit an auto parts store other than my usual place.

I do have a favorite local auto parts store that I use for my other vehicles needs. There was an older gentleman (season ed veteran) that ran the counter. I always enjoyed talking with him. He was very down to earth and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he retired a couple years ago. But the 2 ladies that took his place since then are pretty good too. They are willing to research my odd requests be digging into the old school books.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 10-01-2017 at 08:56 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In any of the chain stores if they can't look up a SKU on their computer they are completely lost. The smaller independent shops usually have more knowledgeable people that are willing to help and still have an old set of books. But even with that, many of the cross/refs are no longer any good and/or those vendors are out of business or no longer stock the parts, they got too old and not enough turn-over. And if they have to get it from the warehouse you can probably get the right part quicker by ordering it from a "D" vendor. Often for the same price or less. The cross/ref parts are getting more and more "universal" too to further reduce inventory. While it may fit it doesn't fit right or may require modification. Bottom line, patronize your favorite Delorean vendor, it is good for all of us and them too. Just imagine what we would have to do if we didn't have them. Oops, you don't have to, just go to your local parts store! You can't even tell them it's a Delorean!
    David Teitelbaum

Its been a while since I last posted... but I finally received word that the Delorean is free for me to come pickup and transport back to Tennessee. I am so excited about getting my grandpas car back on the road. It looks so darn nice, its amazing to see something that looks brand new but realize there is a lot of things in front of me to address.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    Its been a while since I last posted... but I finally received word that the Delorean is free for me to come pickup and transport back to Tennessee. I am so excited about getting my grandpas car back on the road. It looks so darn nice, its amazing to see something that looks brand new but realize there is a lot of things in front of me to address.
    Shoot me a PM when you get it. I live right off I-81. I may have a few parts I could give you.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While it may be "free" to you there may be fees to get the Title into your name. Be sure to get ALL of the paperwork along with the car. Find out just exactly what you must have so you can get it right. Get in touch with your State DMV agency and find out. Try to put insurance on the car before you even move it. All it takes is the VIN, some pictures and money.
    David Teitelbaum

Delorean - pulled from dry storage after 34 years not seeing the light of day

I posted probably 2 years ago about a Delorean I was supposed to inherit from my grandfather but the estate was still being settled.

I was finally able to go pick it up & witness it being pulled out of the warehouse where it had been stored for 34 years without ever being moved. I wasn't real sure what I would be faced with but it turns out it is in incredible condition after a good cleaning. Currently I plan to take it to DMC to have them go through the engine & replace everything that may need replacing

Here are a few pics. He bought it new in 1982. It is an '82 model, built in Dec 1981 (I thought it had 1,200 miles... but turns out it has 3,950 miles. Still very low). 5 speed with gray interior. Original NCT tires actually look brand new.

IMG_4702.jpgIMG_4707.jpgIMG_4712.jpgIMG_4713.jpgIMG_4715.jpgIMG_4717.jpgIMG_4719.jpgIMG_4720.jpgIMG_4722.jpgIMG_4723.jpgIMG_4759.jpgIMG_4760.jpgIMG_4761.jpgIMG_4781.jpgIMG_4782.jpgIMG_4795.jpgSnapseed (1).jpgSnapseed.jpg

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast