FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Need advice. I just inherited a 1981 Delorean with 1,248 miles. Been in dry storage

My VIN:    10201

My vin is 10201 and I've got slanted tips. DMCMW Dave said this is the stock muffler style for '82s

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    I’ve never seen this radio interference badge before. Judging from the photos at: http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages...001&stop=15000, it appears that this was done for about a week with the first ~350 ‘82 cars. Anyone know the story with that?

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    I’ve never seen this radio interference badge before. Judging from the photos at: http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages...001&stop=15000, it appears that this was done for about a week with the first ~350 ‘82 cars. Anyone know the story with that?
    I can't say for certain it was specifically for the Canadian spec cars, but I believe that radio interference label was part of the small list of changes for the 17,XXX VIN cars that came to Canada. These had been 12,XXX VIN cars before the changes that included a metric instrument cluster and a few other things. Not sure what other cars got that radio interference label, either on purpose or unintentionally. The VIN chronology isn't exactly the most consistent thing in the world, as you know.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I can't say for certain it was specifically for the Canadian spec cars, but I believe that radio interference label was part of the small list of changes for the 17,XXX VIN cars that came to Canada. These had been 12,XXX VIN cars before the changes that included a metric instrument cluster and a few other things. Not sure what other cars got that radio interference label, either on purpose or unintentionally. The VIN chronology isn't exactly the most consistent thing in the world, as you know.
    The logic that the radio label was for Canadian cars doesn't work. That would mean that it would only be put on cars with metrics like the speedo. I have seen that label on non-metric cars. The VIN chronology, for the most part, is pretty close. Exceptions arise from what happened at the QAC centers, the '83's and what dealers and owners did after the cars were built.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The logic that the radio label was for Canadian cars doesn't work. That would mean that it would only be put on cars with metrics like the speedo. I have seen that label on non-metric cars. The VIN chronology, for the most part, is pretty close. Exceptions arise from what happened at the QAC centers, the '83's and what dealers and owners did after the cars were built.
    Using words like "logic" to try and justify logistics at the DMC plant is a bit illogical.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Using words like "logic" to try and justify logistics at the DMC plant is a bit illogical.
    But he inflated his tires and checked the service manual!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10201

VIN 10201 does not have that interference badge above the vin.

My VIN:    10270

10270 does.

It's frequently the first detail that other DMC owners notice. I've been asked if it was a Canadian car before, so that rumor seems to be well circulated.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Interesting that it isn't all 350 cars, just about 80% of them. Those 10xxx cars that were revinned as 15xxx cars also kept the radio interference plate, well, those that had them already.

I didn't find any 12xxx cars with it, but as Jonathan says, several 17xxx cars.

And a small few have the radio plate at the bottom of the VIN plate rather than at the top. Because, why not.

After a bit of googling, I found this IEEE standard:

C95.1-1982 - American National Standard Safety Levels With Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 300 kHz to 100 Ghz

which perhaps was the instigator for all this.

Perhaps the original Craig radio didn't have such a compliance sticker but the later ASI ones did, thus rendering a secondary label un-necessary? Interestingly the ASI radio became standard at around 10305.

I wonder if those with the radio plate have a Craig and those in this 10xxx window without the radio plate have an ASI radio?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10270

I don't think it's related to the radio. Probably the ignition system as it has huge potential for RFI if not properly designed. The radio would have had FCC type acceptance separately and it's enclosed in a full metal cage and installed into a second metal cage.

The exact phrase brings up some funny stuff, including notes regarding Canadian RFI compliance from Toro.

https://www.google.com/search?q="com...e+regulations"

Like RFI certified spark plugs, and an RFI certified nut

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    C95.1-1982 - American National Standard Safety Levels With Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 300 kHz to 100 Ghz
    If the AC doesn't work on a summer day it might feel like a microwave oven, but there isn't anything on a car that can generate RF levels of concern. If there is, you'll feel it in your eyeballs first
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast