Thread: How to enter/exit a Delorean

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

entry

We need some videos to show gals a safe
    way to enter and exit......

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Doing so puts stress on the crumple cage which protects the steering shaft. I have had to take mine out and have it welded back together.

Mine actually broke all the way through.
    Attachment 45611Attachment 45612
    Yeah, um.... I don't know that you really want to be doing that.

The idea of that cage is to collapse with those spots you had welded folding over as the steering shaft collapses. I would double-check with an expert on this, but I'm rather confident that welding that cage will give it too much strength to where it will not work as intended.

If that happens, the steering column will impale you in an accident and kill you when it punches through your chest. I would highly recommend just replacing that column instead.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    We need some videos to show gals a safe
    way to enter and exit......
    https://youtu.be/hnHN-DvQh1k?t=22m1s
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-T View Post
    As a bigger guy, and a new owner, Ive had to do a bit of trial and error when it comes to getting in and out of the D.

I back up and do a sort of half sit while my left hand and most of my weight is on the VIN plate. As I go down I swing my right leg up and in and put my right arm on the center area near the ashtray. Once I'm all the way sitting I bring my left leg in carful not to catch the trim. I've found this to be the best option for me since I cant fit sitting sidways in the seat and it doesn't put any of my extra weight on anything that might break. Getting out I simply reverse the process.

On a side note, this thread may seem somewhat silly but I understand why people might ask. Not all of us are able to just hop in. I was actually worried about this when I went to pick my car up for the first time. Lukily, I had Toby at DMCNW to show me a few tips like using the VIN plate area to push off of. He also gave me a rundown on how grabbing the wheel or dash could damage it. If he hadn't told me that, I probably would have broken something by now.
    I tried a version of this today and my ease of getting in and out requires 20% off the original effort. Mostly just putting my right leg far in, left hand on vin plate, sit, left leg, door down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Yeah, um.... I don't know that you really want to be doing that.

The idea of that cage is to collapse with those spots you had welded folding over as the steering shaft collapses. I would double-check with an expert on this, but I'm rather confident that welding that cage will give it too much strength to where it will not work as intended.

If that happens, the steering column will impale you in an accident and kill you when it punches through your chest. I would highly recommend just replacing that column instead.
    No one has died in a DeLorean yet and its only been 35 years or so. I'll just stick with what i got for now. But I do *really* (No Sarcasm) appreciate your concern.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I tried a version of this today and my ease of getting in and out requires 20% off the original effort. Mostly just putting my right leg far in, left hand on vin plate, sit, left leg, door down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always end up pulling in the upper outer edge of the drivers seat when I get out. I'll have to change that now that have new seat skins.'the old ones were wor down to the foam at that spot (among many others).
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Entry: back your butt in first, sit down, then swing legs in.

Exit: swing legs out, left forearm on door frame, stand-up/don't bang your head.

Of course, you could just dive in head first like you're fleeing the machine gun fire from the Lybians.
    I do the exact same. Ive been dailying my delorean for about a month now and its funny how much better gullwing doors are than standard ones when you use them everyday. Everytime I use regular doors I get annoyed that the door is always in the way of my legs when I try getting out. Never an issue with a delorean.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3