FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stuck during oil change

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

For the pep boys tool, CTA 2036, I use one of the Pittsburgh 67011 square socket caps. This allows an open wrench to be used, but as soon as you crack it loose, you have to remove the tool due to clearance issues. It really only used to break it loose and tighten it.

image.jpg

Question: does anyone know whether the Snap on socket (PMM408A) allows a normal socket wrench to be used? Or do you need to get a thin wrench with that socket as well?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2234

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Question: does anyone know whether the Snap on socket (PMM408A) allows a normal socket wrench to be used? Or do you need to get a thin wrench with that socket as well?
    I'm not sure if mine is the same part #, but I have a Snap On socket that looks just like PMM408A that I use, and I use a regular socket wrench with it when changing my oil. However, I've never tried taking the whole oil plug out with the wrench still on. I've only ever used the tool to loosen the plug and to tighten it.
    1 + 1 = 3 for exceptionally large values of 1.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by axh174 View Post
    I'm not sure if mine is the same part #, but I have a Snap On socket that looks just like PMM408A that I use, and I use a regular socket wrench with it when changing my oil. However, I've never tried taking the whole oil plug out with the wrench still on. I've only ever used the tool to loosen the plug and to tighten it.
    He made two mistakes - the tool he used was much longer than the Snap-On tool, and his ratchet was thicker and had the direction switch on the back instead of the side of the tool. Use the right tool, and a small breaker bar rather than a ratchet, and you won't see this problem.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Home made oil plug tool (aka: old Craftsman 5/16 screwdriver with the tip cut off and bent over):

Attachment 45619

I cut the handle shorter so the tool can make a full swing without jacking the car up -- oil changes are much faster and easier when the vehicle remains on the ground (one of the advantages of a pickup truck).

I originally made a tool from hardware store 5/16 bar stock but it was too soft to hold up to repeated use. Screwdriver was Made in USA tool steel.

Bill Robertson
    +1 on that homemade tool. I even tried a 19mm for an end-wrench. Not nearly as convenient. New gasket and you never have to worry about over tightening - unless you're Godzilla.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by axh174 View Post
    However, I've never tried taking the whole oil plug out with the wrench still on. I've only ever used the tool to loosen the plug and to tighten it.
    The tool and the ratchet together were already a tight fit. I thought that I might be able to get the plug out before getting stuck.

Just put the socket in your tool box. You will find plenty of other uses for it. Those 8mm square plugs are all over the engine: water jacket drain plugs, TDC indexing plug, etc.

Bill Robertson

Stuck during oil change

Home made oil plug tool (aka: old Craftsman 5/16 screwdriver with the tip cut off and bent over):

Attachment 45619

Bill Robertson
    Wasn't that "tool" made serendipitously when you were using the screwdriver to index TDC, but forgot about it when you cranked the starter?

My VIN:    10201

Just put the socket in your tool box. You will find plenty of other uses for it. Those 8mm square plugs are all over the engine: water jacket drain plugs, TDC indexing plug, etc.

Bill Robertson
    That's what ive been doing with everything lol. Between my accord and delorean, my tool box is getting much larger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2