FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MASTER - parts cross reference list

My VIN:    4519

I try to support the vendors first, except for parts that could have 30+ year-old plastic or rubber.

If I get sticker shock from the price of a part, I lean toward a crossover as long as it's not more expensive in the long run (as Josh mentioned.) I also prefer crossover parts that have a lifetime warranty that can be sourced from Autozone or Advance (like the Eagle starter)... worthwhile wisdom I learned from Bill.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The original DMC blower motor is an AC Delco part, complete with an AC Delco part number stamped in the case which is still valid 35 years later:

HVAC Blower Motor: DMCH $103.82
    Rockauto: $36.79
    Autozone: $26.99

Another great example is the clutch master cylinder. Since Bill discovered that cross-reference, I'll let him share that story. In contrast, the vendors have the best prices on clutch slave cylinders and clutch disk kits.
    You sure it works correctly though? I thought that part was wired oppositely for the DMC-12 so it runs backwards?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

FWIW, I used a Four Seasons blower motor on mine (part number 35589) and it spins correctly.

I've used most of the vendors over the years, but sometimes I need a part right away, or I can't justify the shipping cost by bundling the part with other items, so I source something locally. And as someone else said, sometimes shelf life is a factor.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The original DMC blower motor is an AC Delco part, complete with an AC Delco part number stamped in the case which is still valid 35 years later:

HVAC Blower Motor: DMCH $103.82
    Rockauto: $36.79
    Autozone: $26.99
    I paid $16.99 for my blower motor (lifetime warranty): http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...8_0_6648_5281/

Normal clockwise rotation, so I reversed positive/negative to make it spin counter clockwise with the stock squirrel cage.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I reversed positive/negative to make it spin counter clockwise with the stock squirrel cage.
    I was thinking that was all that's needed, but wasn't sure....

DC motors are super easy to reverse direction -- just swap positive and negative leads and the motor spins the other way. That's how you move an electric winch in and out for example.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you are looking to save money buying cross referenced parts - you are sadly mistaken

The DMC vendor support is great, and prices are reasonable. Better than most cars in my experience.

You can waste alot of time and money hunting down cross referenced parts that may or may not work, then end up buying the dmc part anyway later. Way more expensive. I speak from experience.
    +1. For major parts, research the options among vendors and read the forum / get some feedback before buying.

First, you may want to decide your restoration goal. The closer your goal is to concourse correct or mostly correct with flaws corrected means that you will need to decide whether you want a given part to be VIN correct, or whether the original one was flawed, and there's an improved version among vendors, etc.

"Research twice, buy once".
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    1150

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I try to support the vendors first, except for parts that could have 30+ year-old plastic or rubber.

If I get sticker shock from the price of a part, I lean toward a crossover as long as it's not more expensive in the long run (as Josh mentioned.) I also prefer crossover parts that have a lifetime warranty that can be sourced from Autozone or Advance (like the Eagle starter)... worthwhile wisdom I learned from Bill.
    Same here for the most part (no pun intended, LOL)

I recently put in one of the Eagle starters as preventive maintenance when my original stock starter (one of the relatively few items on VIN 1150 that was not swapped out for new during the previous owner's 2008 frame-off resto at DMCFL) began to show classic symptoms of getting ready to fail. I went with the Eagle unit for both the lifetime warranty by a big national chain (Autozone in my case) and the price ($99 part and only $25 for the core charge, plus a 20% off the total order promo that month, plus a $10 gift card bonus, just can't beat that!) It should be noted however that I could NOT just pick it up instantly at a local location, as HAD been the case until quite recently. Both Autozone & also Advance Discount Auto Parts, the two biggest major national chains with local stores in my area, have shifted this part from being stocked locally to being an exclusive "shipped free to you or your local store for pickup in several days" status, thereby negating one of the chief reasons I had for getting it - the ability to get one pretty much on the spot without having to wait for shipping if it fails out on the road in B.F.E. :-( I also had that rationale for putting in the Saturn alternator last year, which is still offered as locally available stock OR shipped out if temporarily out of stock locally. The alternator I got through Advance (was $10 less than Autozone with a higher core fee, but I was returning the core the next day anyway.) Already took advantage of the lifetime warranty on that alternator as the voltage regulator on it crapped out after 9 months, and they did happily exchange it on the spot, no waiting, but I fear that this part will eventually also slip into "shipped out only" status as demand dwindles along with the numbers of Saturns still on the road.

My VIN:    1150

Quote Originally Posted by whocruiser View Post
    only $25 for the core charge
    Oh, and by the way, I've still got the old original factory equipment Paris Rhone starter sitting in an Autozone box on a shelf. Anyone know of a vendor (or private owner) who'd offer me more than (or even the same as, plus allowing some extra for shipping costs too, it would probably fit in a Postal Service Large, or POSSIBLY Medium, flat rate box) the $25 I'd get by simply dropping it off at my local Autozone? It's currently (again no pun intended) operable, but cranks slower and more labored when hot from multiple starts in short succession and/or long hot highway drives, which I'm told is a symptom of needing the brushes cleaned and/or replaced, and or the windings redone. Would rather see it re-used within the DeLorean community for someone seeking an accurate original part than just dropping it off at Autozone to disappear into their system.

I guess once I post this here, I'll also put a link to the post in the used parts for sale section too... ;-)

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    DC motors are super easy to reverse direction -- just swap positive and negative leads and the motor spins the other way. That's how you move an electric winch in and out for example.

Bill Robertson
    Right. But now the external housing would be positive, meaning that it can short out much easier to blow a fuse by simply touching it.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast