FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MASTER - parts cross reference list

MASTER - parts cross reference list

I've been learning a lot in the 2 weeks I have been a member here & keep seeing lots of mentions about saving money by buying cross referenced parts.

Is there an existing "Master List" or thread of all parts that can be cross referenced? I didn't find one using search

If not, that could be a useful thing for all of us to start putting together.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is getting harder and harder to even get the cross/ref parts. For the most part the cars that the cross/ref parts go on are also getting very old and no one is stocking them either. Also a lot of the companies that are cross/refed are no longer in business and the stock has been depleted. Another thing that is happening is parts are being cross/refed that don't fit right or work well. Buying from one of the Delorean vendors insures that what you buy will fit and work because they use the same parts in their service departments. Of course this doesn't apply to stuff like fuses and bulbs or hoses but for the more specific parts you are best served by using your favorite Delorean vendor. In many cases they are selling parts for less than you can get locally if you can even find it. If you need the part in a hurry they can often ship "Next Day" if you order the part early enough.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Cross-referenced parts were great back when we were running low on parts. Nowadays though it seems that rather than the DeLorean relying upon other cars for parts, other cars are now relying upon our parts supply.

I've also done the whole looking through parts catalogs for brake pads and trying to match silhouettes, and I can't say it was much fun. Especially when the pads squealed. I the end, I didn't really save that much cash either. Stick with a DeLorean vendor.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

If you are looking to save money buying cross referenced parts - you are sadly mistaken

The DMC vendor support is great, and prices are reasonable. Better than most cars in my experience.

You can waste alot of time and money hunting down cross referenced parts that may or may not work, then end up buying the dmc part anyway later. Way more expensive. I speak from experience.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Not everything is cheaper from a vendor (O rings, for example -- even round ones), and some things vendors just don't sell, such as CV joints.

Some xRef'd items, such as the heater core shutoff valve, are arguably better designed than what the vendors sell (sealed diaphragm versus gate valve with external linkage).

Houston resells Borgeson steering columns, but they don't offer them with vibration reduction -- if you want that option you need to buy from Borgeson direct (which is about $100 cheaper...).

Refusing to xRef on principle alone can be more expensive in the long run, and you may find yourself without a needed part (I waited half a year for Houston to restock coolant temp sending units before buying a one off the shelf at Autozone).

That said, some things are the same price or cheaper from Houston. I xRef'd the water pump radiator hoses from Gates but only saved a couple of dollars. Houston's CV joint boots are basically the same price as outside sources.

Note that Houston does not offer lifetime warranties on things such as alternators and starter motors.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A while ago, I receive parts and proceeded to opened up the box from a vendor. Under the cardboard flap on the bottom of the box, there was a corner of a paper sticking out, turned out to be an Amazon receipt for a Valeo clutch kit. Obviously the vendors also need to purchase parts elsewhere. Picking a random vendor (they are not whose box I opened to find the receipt), I went to the DMCH site and punched in a clutch kit.

DMCH: $275 + $150 core + shipping (With rear seal)
    Amazon: $191.27 & free shipping with no core, same clutch kit
    Rock Auto: $169 + $11.99 shipping

Rear main seal:
    DMCH: $24 + shipping
    Rock Auto (Volvo): $2.75 (Fel-Pro seal and gasket) + shipping.

I've also purchased A/C accumulators & low pressure switch which were similar to DMCH pricing. Brake pads, cabin fan resistor, tie-rod ends, and many, many other similar things were cheaper than vendor pricing.

I'm not all out against using vendors for parts, but after all these years I pretty much know what I can get cross referenced and what will be cheaper, and what I cannot. The vendors are great, and they definitely get my support - I spend enough of my money when it comes to things like hub carriers, interior trim, windshield, and other parts that you really cannot get elsewhere.

Edit: I guess the Clutch kit is a bad example, since it isn't really a cross referenced kit.
    Last edited by dn010; 08-22-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    -----Dan B.

and I just KEEP learning.... thanks again for the input

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

The original DMC blower motor is an AC Delco part, complete with an AC Delco part number stamped in the case which is still valid 35 years later:

HVAC Blower Motor: DMCH $103.82
    Rockauto: $36.79
    Autozone: $26.99

Another great example is the clutch master cylinder. Since Bill discovered that cross-reference, I'll let him share that story. In contrast, the vendors have the best prices on clutch slave cylinders and clutch disk kits.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast