FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DaraSue and 10907's excellent adventure

My VIN:    10907

DaraSue and 10907's excellent adventure

When I missed the first bus to the airport by literally two seconds I thought I was doomed, but I guess I was just getting all my bad luck out of the wau early! I caught the next one and still got there in plenty of time, the TSA agent I thought was going to be She-Wolf of the SS didn't even confiscate any of my tools (she was actually fairly jovial) and I didn't get murdered on the L from the airport. Hooray!

Suzy picked me up at the train station and we went to meet my new ride. I told her, "this is like every prom night I never went to, all at once !" (Only about ten million times cooler, let's be real.) The car looked fabulous. Maybe it was just my imagination but it might have been the shiniest one in the shop. We went over all the maintenance stuff and did a last-minute lighter swap (the original wasn't charging my phone) and then it was time to hit the road!

(Doing this in multiple posts b/c I don't trust my phone not to screw it up)

The drive to the Wal-Mart to pick up the stuff I couldn't take on the plane was honestly the most terrifying driving experience I've had since the time I drove down an 8000 ft mountain in the CRX in the winter. The gears were... more difficult than I was used to, stopping took longer, (must be the extra 1000 lbs of inertia) and even the steering took some practice. I made some dudes' night when I stopped for gas, though! These two probably junior-high kids were totally awe-struck and had to take their pictures with it. When they were done I heard one tell the other "man, aren't you glad we decided to stop at a gas station?"

A couple of nerve-racking moments on the way to the freeway. I called Suzy and Mike in a panic when I heard a squeaking noise 10 miles out, but he said it was probably just a brake noise but nothing dangerous. Then I noticed my oil pressure was really high and pulled over in some random person's driveway for another panic-call. Mike said I shouldn't have to worry unless it was too low. Another tense moment when I thought I smelled burning hydraulic fluid but I'd missed my turn for the 88 anyway and by the time I circled around it was gone. No recurrence so I'm blaming that on the car carrier that was in front of me.

Once I got on the interstate it was smooth sailing. The car seems to like being let loose. I was so psyched I felt like I could drive all night but finally stopped in Iowa City b/c my knee was stiffening up. I still barely slept but I took a break from tossing and turning long enough to get some good shots at sunrise, which I'll post if my dumb phone cooperates.

My VIN:    4519

My VIN:    6964

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It was very cool to see how excited you were to finally see the car. Before our eyes you were transformed into a giddy 10 year old girl. Glad we could be a part of this adventure! Keep us posted on the rest of your trip.

Best,

Mike
    Lead Technician
    DMC Midwest

Now that my tablet 's playing nice with the Hardee's wifi, let's see if I can finally post some pix!

IMG_20160823_061942.jpg
    Well, I think I got one of them to attach. Blocked some traffic in the Travelodge parking lot to get that one but nobody seemed to mind too much

Quote Originally Posted by DMCTek View Post
    It was very cool to see how excited you were to finally see the car. Before our eyes you were transformed into a giddy 10 year old girl. Glad we could be a part of this adventure! Keep us posted on the rest of your trip.

Best,

Mike
    Big thanks to all of you for getting all the work done so fast! This is way better than sitting around the house waiting for a trailer to pull up, LOL...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very cool! Congratulations!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    The car seems to like being let loose.
    I've experienced the same with #2613 over the years. It's not fast off the line, but it absolutely loves to cruise on the highway.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast