FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DaraSue and 10907's excellent adventure

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

i got to meet DaraSue and 10907 tonight. nice to finally see a DeLorean again after 4 years... DaraSue was nice enough to snap this Polaroid of me sitting in the driver's seat.
    Godspeed on the rest of the journey!

delorean.jpg
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    10907

Well, yesterday was... interesting. Had the first freakout moment somewhere in Iowa when I noticed my temp gauge hovering just below the 220 mark. It had done that before and then cooled off but when it was still up there after a couple more miles and worse, started creeping up onto the line, it was time for another panic-pitstop. When nothing was obviously amiss I called Mike at the shop and he talked me through checking the fans with car stationary. I guess I could have done that by myself but I was paranoid about overtemping it and wanted a second opinion. He assured me that I didn't need to worry as long as it didn't get into the 230+ range at low speeds and at freeway speeds there should be enough airflow to cool it even without the fan running. As it turned out my worries were groundless because the fans kicked on and everything was apparently groovy. Crisis averted!

...or so I thought. As it would turn out, a different crisis was waiting up the road.

I rolled into Omaha without any further issues, had the standard one-person car show at the gas station and headed to Denny 's to meet up with Dvonk. As you can see above, a good time was had by all. It was fun chatting irl with a fellow enthusiast!

I was planning on going another couple hours west, but it was at this point that things went awry. The westbound on ramp was closed and at this point I was pretty tired and the weather was getting stormy so I took it as a sign and made a (legally questionable) U-turn back to the Motel 6. By the time I got into the parking lot it was pouring so hard I got soaked just trying to get in the lobby. There were already two cars under the canopy thing who both had the same idea I did, i.e to sit there until the rain let up but then more cars started coming in. I nearly had a heart attack when it looked like an SUV was barreling right at me and I got to test the D's horn but then it turned out he was just going for the handicap space.

I figured I better move my car but it was still pouring and my windshield was covered in condensation. I cranked the defroster on and managed to find what I thought was an out of the way parking spot (I would later realize I'd been quadruple parked for like an hour - sorry anybody else who wanted to use those spaces!). I sat there, still waiting for the rain to let up, and then I noticed water dripping onto the clutch boot. I didn't think there was anything much I could do about it at that point because it was still pouring too hard to try to tape my trash bag to the roof, I assumed the hotel entryway was still a traffic jam and I was afraid to try driving to a gas station because just trying to make it around the parking lot had been nerve-racking enough.

I put a towel over the dash and console and sent Suzy a text about what was going on. Mike called me back and said it was probably a badly-installed headliner soaking up the rain and breaking the seal. I was worried that it was going to rust my roof out or something but he said it should dry out. He too suggested trying to cover the roof but by then it had stopped dripping. There was some leaking around the front of the door, too - I could feel rain drops on my toes where I had my foot next to it.

It had rained earlier when I was in Des Moines but I didn't notice any of this. Lesson learned: don't take your DeLorean out in a supercell thunderstorm! In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have stopped as long as I did in Omaha but looking at the map it looked like the precip went at least as far as Lincoln so if I couldn't outrun it, who knows if something worse would have happened.

Onward... (after a nap...)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 08-24-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Autocorrect corrections

IMG_20160824_064105.jpg

This morning. The worst of the storm must have been over because it didn't seem like there was any more water inside than there was last night. I've been running with the windows open and the a/c off whenever it's not raining so hopefully it dries out today, if I can get someplace sunny.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

A truly devoted owner would have thrown him/herself over the T panel and used their body to shield it from the rain

j/k

I would quickly check the door seals that run down beside the windshield and make sure there is a good clean path for water to escape. My seal is a bit wavy (or more accuraly, the fibreglass lip is a bit wavy) and sometimes leaves and debris get stuck there, effectively creating a bit of a dam for water that has entered at the T panel especially during a heavy storm. In normal rain it is fine as the amount of water getting in isn't too bad, but in a deluge it can fill up a bit and spill over
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I had a similar problem with headliner/water -- at the top, the headliner is not supposed to protrude beyond the inner door seal. Mine does in a few places. As a result, when it rains I get creeping dirty stains around the edges of the headliner. The solution, I'm told, is to remove those inner seals, cut the extra material from the headliner such that it will not protrude from beneath the seals once re-installed, and then re-install the seals. I'm not sure what you're supposed to use as an adhesive for those inner door seals, but I'm sure someone on this very popular thread will know.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I had a similar problem with headliner/water -- at the top, the headliner is not supposed to protrude beyond the inner door seal. Mine does in a few places. As a result, when it rains I get creeping dirty stains around the edges of the headliner. The solution, I'm told, is to remove those inner seals, cut the extra material from the headliner such that it will not protrude from beneath the seals once re-installed, and then re-install the seals.
    This did the trick for my first DeLorean. I just pulled the inner door seals off, trimmed back the excess headliner fabric with a straight razor, and returned the door seals. Took like 10 minutes for both doors, and no more leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I'm not sure what you're supposed to use as an adhesive for those inner door seals, but I'm sure someone on this very popular thread will know.
    The inner seals are held on by compression. Or do owners use adhesive for them now as an added layer of protection?
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

DPI's inner door seals come with a paste "adhesive" inside the channel.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...r-Seal-Choices
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    02613

Thanks for the info, Louie and Dan! Obviously I haven't fixed this problem on my car yet. But now that the outer seals are totally gone, maybe I should...

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Also check the outer door seals, especially the ones at the tops of the doors. They close the gap between the doors and the Tee panel keeping a lot of the water from getting into the channel in the first place. Yes, things will eventually dry out but at some point you should remove the Tee panel and inspect the inner box for corrosion. When you get the chance you should also do ST-33-12/81 and make sure everything is all sealed up.
    David Teitelbaum

IMG_20160824_143502.jpg

Here's the excess fabric I chopped off the edges of my headliner at a rest stop today. It would appear Mike's theory about yesterday 's leakage was correct. My first roadside repair! (Un)fortunately I successfully avoided getting caught in another Biblical deluge so I didn't get to test my work but hopefully that did it.
    IMG_20160824_140017.jpg
    And of course, the reason I was killing time at that particular stop was because there was another temperature incident. This time it got up to 230, at which point I pulled over on the shoulder and sat there waiting for enough of a break in traffic to jump out and make sure nothing important was leaking. When everything looked to be in working order, I gave it another few minutes and then nervously drove to the next exit. I called Mike again just to make sure he didn't think I'd done any damage. He said I did the right thing by pulling over and shutting off right away. Since the issue 's been intermittent we couldn't really pin it down but he suggested staying in 5th gear even on upslopes to keep the rpm lower. I think I might have been in 5th the first time but I'd been in 4th between 3500-4000 this time. The only thing that might be consistent both times is, I think they both happened after I'd driven about 50 miles, stopped for about 30 mins- an hour and then driven another 30- 40 miles.

I decided to see what happened if I kept going for a couple hundred miles without stopping. When I got back on the road, I went from Waco, NE to Ogallala (about 230 miles). The temp stayed between 160 and 210 the whole time. I thought about stopping there for the night but figured if I could drive I probably should so I took a rest in my car for about 45 minutes (wherein I discovered that if I put my feet up against the... what would be the firewall in a regular car, I can rest my head fairly comfortably on the center console. Well, comfortably if I use my hoodie as a pillow.) And then headed back out.

I made it to Cheyenne (about another 175 miles) without stopping. No temperature problems. Managed to avoid any more thunderstorms.

IMG_20160824_170532.jpg

And the sunset was awesome!

IMG_20160824_204528.jpg

Oh yeah, and I made the Motel 6 clerk's night. He said he'd never seen a DeLorean in person before!
    Last edited by DaraSue; 08-25-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast